AHB Articles: Hops - How to Grow Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, just bumping this because of the time of year.

The article could really benefit from the experiences of growers who have successfully dealt with pest and disease problems.

I am also thinking I'll add a section specifically for Australian regions to outline whether hops are fantastically suited to the area, can be grown with some effort, or are an absolute pain in the butt to grow to the point of flowering. Again, any input from other AHB members is appreciated. Thanks to all contributors to date.

OK, added a section under 'Position' entitled 'Your Region'.

Please add your regional information, however brief, but please indicate source of problems if you think your area is unsuitable for growing hops.

Just harvested my first hops I live in Berwick Vic, I didnt have to many issues with my 2 plants (Hersbruker and Sazz) the Hersbruker took off like a rocket so far I've harvested about 500g with probably another 500g to go
the Sazz is a bit of a dissapointment, so far only 50g :(

I had something chewing on the leaves early on, got some stuff from Bunnings and sparayed some and managed to slow it down but once the plants got big enough I just let them go, it was still gettin chewd on but it didnt hurt the plants anymore (I think), plenty of water and Seasol, this year's weather also helped

I'll try to post some pics...Im an noob here so we'l see how we go

Hops_garden1.jpg

Hops_garden2.jpg

No offense brother, but what are you getting at to make it relative to the article as opposed to this thread?

What were the bugs, and what was the spray from Bunnings?

If they are first year plants, they are great, and you will get much more from them in the future.

Again, if people have experience that they can document and add to the article, it would be awesome.

Hmm.
I just thinking if someone wants to stop me.
I want to translate your awesome guide to finnish and put it to my own forum wiki page?
Ofcourse all stuff not work for us, because we are so north, but I shall apply with were it is possible.

So, would I be approved to do that?

Absolutely OK by me brother Ari (I don't see how AHB officials or other contributors could have an issue with a benevolent Finn).

To replicate our conditions, where your hops get fried once they start maturing, you might need some serious artificial lighting up there :)

Kippis!

Thanks!

Well, we have also local hops with short growing season. But I was harvest also Centennial and Willamette early years. So, it is possible :)
But we haven' t any good instructions to written of finnish and finnish conditions, so, I think your article is good base of our own.

干杯

No offense brother, but what are you getting at to make it relative to the article as opposed to this thread?

What were the bugs, and what was the spray from Bunnings?

If they are first year plants, they are great, and you will get much more from them in the future.

Again, if people have experience that they can document and add to the article, it would be awesome.

Sory I posted on the wrong thread...
Anyhow

I used some confidor and another organic garlic based product, Im a total mess when it comes to plants, everything ive planted sofar has died ecxept my hops plants.
I still have no idea what was chewing on the plants, the guy at bunnings thinks it might have been caterpillers, but I didnt see any.

Plenty of seasol also helped them grow I think, I watered in about 100ml of seasol every 2 weeks right through the season.

Ive been thinking of a design for a Hop Trellis to go in the Backyard.

I think they need to be adjustable so you can lower them to harvest, and extendable if/when growth goes off to be able to include more runners.

Here's the design at this stage.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

now all I need now is for the current owners to get the hell out of my house <_<

[edit] The arrangement will be a combination ot these two
Capture2.JPG
(for the second year or additional hops)
Capture3.JPG
intent is to space two of these about 3 meters apart one on each end and additional plants between

Potentially a very stupid question, but...

Can Hops be grafted to another hop plant? Say for example I had a Fuggles Plant, can I graft a Goldings cutting onto it? Can unique hops be created this way?

Searching has only led me to threads about grafting weed onto it... also an interesting experiment for some I expect :unsure:

Ive been thinking of a design for a Hop Trellis to go in the Backyard.

I think they need to be adjustable so you can lower them to harvest, and extendable if/when growth goes off to be able to include more runners.

View attachment 45031
(for the second year or additional hops)

My trellis is the same as this. From post to post it's 6 metres. Top wires are about 1m apart and 3m off the ground. Rhizomes are planted 1m apart.
As this was my 1st year growing them, this is what I'd suggest:

Allow for greater space between 'zomes. 1m will be okay if I'm vigilant, but I'm considering putting in some kind of barrier. If the hops are all the same, well you can plant them closer.
I wanted to make my top wire 4m off the ground, but settled at three as its got some good height, and I can safely reach it when on the ladder. I toyed with the idea of something adjustable, but couldn't come up with something I was completely happy with.

At this stage I have 5 varieties and 'space' for one more. Got bugger all this year but expecting bigger things next season. If I wanted to, I could extend my trellis to add more varieties but pretty happy with the 6.

My trellis is the same as this. From post to post it's 6 metres. Top wires are about 1m apart and 3m off the ground. Rhizomes are planted 1m apart.
As this was my 1st year growing them, this is what I'd suggest:

Allow for greater space between 'zomes. 1m will be okay if I'm vigilant, but I'm considering putting in some kind of barrier. If the hops are all the same, well you can plant them closer.
I wanted to make my top wire 4m off the ground, but settled at three as its got some good height, and I can safely reach it when on the ladder. I toyed with the idea of something adjustable, but couldn't come up with something I was completely happy with.

At this stage I have 5 varieties and 'space' for one more. Got bugger all this year but expecting bigger things next season. If I wanted to, I could extend my trellis to add more varieties but pretty happy with the 6.
mine is the same design as this but i have it so the spreader bars can be lowered at ether end.

I just pulled my Chinook rhizome out to go in the fridge for winter. It got BIG!

Is it okay to chop off all the roots, leaving just the rhizomes?

:icon_cheers:

IMG_2407.JPG

I just pulled my Chinook rhizome out to go in the fridge for winter. It got BIG!

:icon_cheers:

So your first year harvest plant ,you pulled the rhizome to fridge and replant it??... ?
My knowledge is that the roots that have grown will feed next seasons growth for a larger amount of hops.
Cutting them back will make it a first year plant all over again?

Sure, but why?
It will grow much better next year if you leave it intact (better again if left in the ground).
If you chop it up more you will just be starting from 1st year rhizomes again.

So I should refrigerate (to simulate a real winter) the thing as is? The soil will be unlikely to get less than 15C all winter.

Just trying to make this thing (thought that only the actual rhizome(s) survive a 45N winter, the roots shrivel) think it's not living at 28S latitude.

I guess I need the expertise of a sub-tropical hop grower as to what they do over winter... and someone who understands vernalisation relative to hop growing.

http://pw2.netcom.com/~dluzanp/nov.htm

I'm at an equivalent latitude as Florida so am following a lot of their growing info.

Latest posts

Back