AHB Articles: Hops - How to Grow Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 30x hop plants growing at my sister's place, she has 2 black labs - not an issue (other than the dogs sometimes like to dig-up the mulch, but then so do the chickens).
Thank you, finally a serious response. :)

Question; After planting rhizomes, how long would one expect to have to wait until they see a shoot through the soil at this time of year?

Depends on health and size of your rhizome and conditions like moisture and temp. Relax and let them do their thing. Second year rhizomes will probably shoot earlier depending on variety, they will be on time with season.

Yeldarb said:
This is the discussion topic for article: Hops - How to Grow Them
Just tried to access this link and it appears to no longer exist. I'm guessing this is an upgrade hitch and will be got to in due course, in the mean time does anyone happen to have the article on file? Just bought a house and one of the first jobs is find a spot to grow some hops.

Cheers,

JD

Yeah unfortunately that link doesn't work.
Anyone know another way to find it??
Got given some rhizomes today and keen to give them best chance in the dirt.

Plant with as much access to light as possible, if you have a trellis with multiple strings on it, ensure that they face north, so that the bines shade each other as little as possible. Dig in some manure and get them in the ground. Beware they are pretty invasive, so if you are worried, you can bury corrugated iron or similar around them to prevent them wandering too far (or dig them up each year and trim back.

mrTbeer said:
Yeah unfortunately that link doesn't work.
Anyone know another way to find it??
Got given some rhizomes today and keen to give them best chance in the dirt.
+1 on the cannot get it to work...

Bizier said:
Plant with as much access to light as possible, if you have a trellis with multiple strings on it, ensure that they face north, so that the bines shade each other as little as possible.
Unfortunately the Wiki is still off line, which is a HUGE bummer. Such good local advice in there.

Otherwise, I'm a brand new hop farmer (dammit, I told myself when I got back into brewing that I wouldn't do hops). I have heard on Brewing Network podcasts that some English varieties are more heat-sensitive than others. (The ones I have are Australian grown rhizomes.) Has anyone found that to be true?

Having a couple new UK hop plants I was thinking of planting them on the East side of the house, so they get solid morning sun for about 6 hours but are out of direct sunlight for the hottest part of the day. Am I just being an old Nan or is this reasonable?

I found mine loved getting half a days sun and that is it, otherwise you have to keep the water up and sometimes they get burnt. I loved mine being in pots, made it easy to move around ;)

tricache said:
I found mine loved getting half a days sun and that is it, otherwise you have to keep the water up and sometimes they get burnt. I loved mine being in pots, made it easy to move around ;)
How big of pots are you using tricache, and are you just using potting mix for soil and adding the required nutrients?

shaunous said:
How big of pots are you using tricache, and are you just using potting mix for soil and adding the required nutrients?
Roughly 40cm diameter ones (I'm at work so can't measure them) and yep potting mix in the pot and just add plant food ect

shaunous said:
I bought some of these barrels for only $15 each: http://bit.ly/1ce20xl

I cut them in half and Bob's your uncle, 4x110 liter pots for $30 bucks. Don't forget to drill the bottoms well, big enough holes so they drain well. Let's just say I won't be moving them much though.

No affiliation, etc. they ain't pretty but they sure are easy :)

Good blog on growing hops in pots here, even if they didn't do that well (due to his location/climate).
http://www.hopsinpots.com/search?updated-max=2009-05-27T19:28:00-05:00&max-results=20&start=20&by-date=false

I'm using eco-kegs with this guy's trellis idea (in my case a couple of 2m tomato stakes joined together to get extra height, with 4 x 800mm wide cross-bars, with eye-hooks on either end). That way I can move them around depending on how much sun they need. I planted mine two weeks ago (a Cascade & a Hersbrucker), and the first shoot is just about to break the surface.

The eco-kegs took a little over 2 x 25kg potting mix bags each...I got the potting mix from Masters, their $5 bags (they say 4 for $20, but if you buy 1 they're still $5). Here's a pic I took before finishing the trellis:

carniehops.JPG

I love the use of Eco Kegs Carnie!

:ph34r: probably better than using them for beer :ph34r:

Can't claim it as my own I'm afraid, a guy I met recently at a brew day at a friend's pub put me onto it, and provided me with the kegs.

Here's mine with the second tomato stake bolted to the first, giving me 3m or so of upright. And a photo of my first hersbrucker shoot peeking through on the weekend. The cascade also has a single shoot that's just broken the soil.

Hop Pots with long uprights.jpg
I dunno why it's sideways, it's not when I open it on my PC.

Hersbrucker poking through.jpg

just a note to bump this thread, I had 5 hop plants growing successfully in Canberra region, but not once in 4 years did they flower!
Then someone told me I've probably got all male plants...could this be true or is there someother factor stopping the flowers?

They were planted in a section of my vege patch where I can control their spread, got heaps of sun and water, and good soil...

cheers, I must be doing something else wrong then. might test the soil...

Latest posts

Back