AHB Articles: Hops - How to Grow Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except I'm not sure about 15-18 hours of sunlight. That only leaves 4 hours for night and I need my bedtime.

Not sure where you live, but down here in Canberra we have 24 hours in every day.

15 +4 = 19 18+4= 22 i think this is what sammy was refering to . :)

OK guys,

I know that some sections are missing. E.g. I don't know enough about hop nutrients or pests (and remedies) yet to give authoratative advice. But I just wanted to get something up to get the ball rolling. Feel free to edit the article or point out areas that need attention or re-writing.

Areas that I would really appreciate input:
Australian Pests and Diseases - who has experienced what, and in what area of Aus, and how did you tackle it?
Who has been a ninja at propagation via cuttings?
Who can give good advice for digging and dividing rhizomes?

Can anyone tell me how to get attached images to display inline in a wiki article?
Can anyone suggest any other small-scale hop trellis types than the ones I have illustrated?

ED: I realise that all things hops prefer aren't going to be achievable where most people live, but I thought I would take the road of giving widely accepted 'ideal' growing conditions and then suggest of how you might best gear your home setup. E.g if you don't experience 18 hours of sunlight (and I don't) then take it into consideration that they are genetically expecting light, and plant them in the sunniest spot you have.

I have a Goldings and a Cascade I have yet to crown properly this year, so I will try and get some photos of that as I am cutting off the excess rhizome growth.

John

what are you going to do with the excess rhizomes (if any) after you divid them. I should have chinook, cluster & vienna gold rhizomes for a trade maybe :) Dave

Areas that I would really appreciate input:
Who has been a ninja at propagation via cuttings?
Who can give good advice for digging and dividing rhizomes?

Boston is definately a suitable ninja for the above items imo. Maybe PM him for his input?

Great article thus far too.

15 +4 = 19 18+4= 22 i think this is what sammy was refering to . :)

Yes.

I am utterly retarded. I blame Brasserie Dupont.

15 hours of daylight in warmer months is also not really a stretch so I admit complete stupidity.

Back to reading the article, head hung low.

I checked my rhizomes this morning. I have them stored in snap lock bags filled with moist coir in the fridge and I was surprised to see that eyelets and roots are shooting.

Is this a problem? I'm worried that the rhizome will exhaust itself before spring.

cheers

grant

I have updated the trellises bit with some pics.

I created a ImageShack account "ahb_hopwiki" and will upload images for people there if they need, I figure this way they are unlikely to be deleted of any hosting accounts used for other purposes.
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ahb_hopwiki/

If someone wants to clean up my messy HTML nightmare, feel entirely free.

I checked my rhizomes this morning. I have them stored in snap lock bags filled with moist coir in the fridge and I was surprised to see that eyelets and roots are shooting.

Is this a problem? I'm worried that the rhizome will exhaust itself before spring.

cheers

grant

Good sign, put it in a pot over winter if you are overly concerned or if it becomes mushy.
You can draw an analogy here with making a yeast starter.

hey.. I've just planted my Hop plant and now I have about 9/10 shoots comming up.. this is the first time I've tried to grow hops so im unsure if to keep them all or cut a few back..

save the strongest 3-4 and trim the rest back gava

dont throw them away but, get some rooting compound from the big green shed or a nursery and grow them into new rhizomes by next year you will be able to swap them or grow more hop bines.

Kleiny

Does anyone in Brisbane grow hops?

I am keen to start growing my own hops but they are outside the desired latitude

Cheers

save the strongest 3-4 and trim the rest back gava

dont throw them away but, get some rooting compound from the big green shed or a nursery and grow them into new rhizomes by next year you will be able to swap them or grow more hop bines.

Kleiny

Cheers trav,

I finally found out they're hallertau, I'll see if I can make some rhizomes if you dont have hallertau i'll swing one your way next year.

-gav

Latest posts

Back