Ageing Post Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurule

Reaction score
I can't get a clear answer from search. I'm brewing a porter I wanna age for 6 months. Can I rack off primary into a 15l container and leave at room temp to condition as u would if bottling? Then bottle and prime later down the track? Thanks

Sounds like a bad idea to me. IMHO you've probably got a much greater chance of an infection (6 months is long time to be using glad wrap or an air lock)

Why do you want to do it this way when aging in bottles is pretty much the known tried and tested way? :huh:

It would be put in a sealed cube. And I wanna save my bottles for other brews

Even if it survives infection, oxidisation would be next on the list. Plastic cubes readily absorb oxygen.

Bottles or Keg it. Or a glass demijohn sealed up might work. I would want it kept at least 5 degrees or less.

cheers

If you're worried about your glass bottles, just save yourself up some 2L PET bottles and bottle in them. Still better than leaving in a cube for 6 months.

It would be put in a sealed cube.

Yeah, but you'd be sealing it with a cube already full of oxygen, and potentially other harmfull things that over the course of 6 months could be nasty.

I wouldn't do it.

Yep thanks for the replies I get the picture. Will just get some more bottles or drink more!

The plastic in cubes is very oxygen-permeable, the same with 2l PET bottles. Your brew would get oxidised. Small (less than 200L) plastic containers are only good for 2-3 months.

I can't get a clear answer from search. I'm brewing a porter I wanna age for 6 months. Can I rack off primary into a 15l container and leave at room temp to condition as u would if bottling? Then bottle and prime later down the track? Thanks

Well, contrary to what others have said, I ran out of kegs once and filled a cube with fermented Ale. Filled to the brim.
Heres where my method differs from your proposal.
I then placed it in the fridge. When a keg became available, I filtered & kegged.
This was about 4 months in the fridge. Beer was fine. No detrimental effects at all.
mckenry

Note - I'm pretty sure BribieG was doing this? And doing it in a big way - i.e. storing heaps of fermented wort in cubes for lagering.

Latest posts

Back