ageing my bottled lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean has the carbonation occurred yet? If they are as fizzy as expected, keep them as cool as you can, cold is even better. If they are not fizzy, keep them at your fermenting temperature and wait till they are, then cool.

After adding the carb drops, I'd wait two weeks keeping them at room temp. Crack one open after the two weeks and see if its carbonated enough to your liking. If they are a little flat you can always wait another week or you can try keeping them in a warmer area.
As for the cold conditioning, as manticle said wait until the carbonation is complete, then chuck them in the fridge (at no colder than about 3 degrees) for at least 6 to 8 weeks. You'll go mad waiting guaranteed but the lagering will clean up the taste A LOT. My first extract was a coopers lager and it seriously tasted pretty awful until after the six week mark in the fridge.

You can actually sit most beers at around -1c without freezing them, and it'll help clear them up a bit quicker than 3-4c. If you have the ability to do this of course.

Back