Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgym

Reaction score
After a lager has fermented out and bottled, can I just store it in a cupboard at room temperature?

Yes. If you are bottle carbonating, you will want to otherwise it will take months to carbonate. If it's carbonated then the answer is still yes. I'm sure you have seen slabs of beer for sale at room temperature.

If you mean by "lager" it, did I ferment it at 12C for a couple of weeks until all activity stopped, yes I did.
That’s the primary ferment. Lagering is storing the fermented beer cold (0-4deg or thereabouts) for an extra period to let the yeast clean up after itself and turn the beer clear. A rule of thumb that works for me is 1 week per 10 gravity points. So if OG was 1.040 lager for 4 weeks.
You also need to let the yeast carbonate, and it won’t do that a lager temps. So if it’s bottled now and not carbonated you need to store it warm for a couple of weeks to carbonate, and store it cold (in a fridge) for a month or so to lager properly. You can do it in either order but I found it easier to carbonate first when I bottled. Of course you can drink un-lagered lager, it just won’t be as clean. You could open 1 bottle per week to see how it changes.
Lagering with kegs is easier, but you still have to be patient.

Latest posts

Back