Age Article - History Of Brewing In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also noticed in that edition (but can't find it online) that CUB has fessed up that the $95 a bottle Foster's Crown Ambassador Reserve is infected with Brett after one of the reviewers picked it in a tasting.

ed: grammar

Also noticed in that edition (but can't it online) that CUB has fessed up that the $95 a bottle Foster's Crown Ambassador Reserve is infected with Brett after one of the reviewers picked it in a tasting.

Was it just a one off bottle infection or the whole batch?

I guess there's always a risk of getting a bad bottle. Same with wine, you could spend hundreds on a bottle only for it to be corked.

Also noticed in that edition (but can't it online) that CUB has fessed up that the $95 a bottle Foster's Crown Ambassador Reserve is infected with Brett after one of the reviewers picked it in a tasting.

Servers whoever bought it right for wasting their money. Did the Brett make it taste better???

If you want to save $95 on the book, there is another book on the history of CUB written by Keith Dunstan. It details the forming of CUB and other breweries in Melbourne and surrounds. I think it was written in the 1980's. I found it at the library and it was a really good read.

I own a lot of beer books but this is one I won't be buying. Apparently it's a bad thing "boutique" beers don't have preservatives because they are stale after 6 months. Better throw out all those Imperial Stouts & Barleywines laying about.

Regarding the Brettanomyces "infection" in the Crown Ambassador have a look at http://www.craftypint.com.au

Numerous people have noticed it including Willie Simpson, RACV club members, the Murrays crew. So that's a good mix of people.

Was it just a one off bottle infection or the whole batch?

I guess there's always a risk of getting a bad bottle. Same with wine, you could spend hundreds on a bottle only for it to be corked.

The Brett was a result of having aged some of the previous years offerring in some wine barrels - which is where it picked up the Brett. This aged batch was then blended with the current batch to create the final product - hey presto all infected now.

Willie Simpson reviewed it and claimed Brett, CUB denied it and have since recanted based on further lab analysis which has showed that it is def a component of the current beer.

Interestingly, the beer that CUB did for ANHC a few years ago was quite Brett as well - have tasted three or four different bottles in the last 12 months and they all showed some signs of brett to varying degrees.

yuop it was brett in the AHNC CUB beer. bloody brett's gets into everything ;)

back onto the article itsself, what self indulgent non researched tripe
Bannenberg has been married 34 years and says he drinks beer only on Friday nights and Saturdays.
''You become very choosy about what you drink,'' he says.
''It has to be fresh. ''Bottled beer goes off after about six months. A lot of these boutique beers don't have any preservatives and it's a big shame. If they sit around a while, they deteriorate very quickly.''

whata a load of codswallop and generalisation. why rely on a freaking sidelining beer drinker to provide you with info on brewing. why not get a bloody brewer to comment.

I'll be spending my $95 elsewhere thank you very much.

Interestingly, the beer that CUB did for ANHC a few years ago was quite Brett as well - have tasted three or four different bottles in the last 12 months and they all showed some signs of brett to varying degrees.
Yes, the "Claude 9" barleywine. We had a bottle of it at a recent club event, and the brett was definitely there. Definitely smelled a lot better than it tasted.

My stepdaughter's ex was (is) a dozer operator at the big tip on the Southside (Birkdale?????? Southside's a blur to me, only been here 30 years ) and he personally buried a whole batch of XXXX stubbies a few years ago, he was called in at 2.30 in the morning along with the big digger crew who dug the pit, the Coates Hire floodlights and the many security guards brought in to encircle the site. :ph34r: Wonder there wasn't a LionNathan helicopter circling the site with SWAT snipers as well.

Michael Bannenberg is a really nice guy who I've known for a number of years. He has a passion for brewing history, the advertising and labels - that's his forte (not really the stuff in the bottles - so yep CM2 you can tell from his comments that he's no technical brewing expert), he collects old labels and beer bottles dug out of the ground or found at markets and garage sales and then reconstructs them using his design skills.

If you have seen his collection as I have it's darn amazing - shelf upon shelf of the stuff. Long since forgotten names like McCrackens, Abbots, and the like. Without people like this a large portion of our history of making beer in this country would be lost.

I do think $90 is a bit pricey for this book though.

Hopper.

Oh shit ... so if I want to make my beer taste like 'boutique' beer (god i hate that term), then I need to dispense with the hops in case I accidentally preserve it?

I was more having a go at the writter not Bannenberg.

The history stuff is interesting. its one of the things i love about Radical Brewing by Mosher. I recon these boys have done a great thing, its def a shame to loose history. but they would have more of a chance of selling a 'coffee table' (or should that be beer table) book if the price was lower.

Michael Bannenberg is a really nice guy who I've known for a number of years. He has a passion for brewing history, the advertising and labels - that's his forte (not really the stuff in the bottles - so yep CM2 you can tell from his comments that he's no technical brewing expert), he collects old labels and beer bottles dug out of the ground or found at markets and garage sales and then reconstructs them using his design skills.

If you have seen his collection as I have it's darn amazing - shelf upon shelf of the stuff. Long since forgotten names like McCrackens, Abbots, and the like. Without people like this a large portion of our history of making beer in this country would be lost.

I do think $90 is a bit pricey for this book though.

Hopper.

Yes, there are hundreds of lost breweries in Australia that aren't documented and no history ever written, Macs of Rocky, Steindl of Maryborough, Queensland Breweries at Bulimba, and even the modern Powers Brewery at Yatala or Eumundi Brewery on the Sunshine Coast hardly raise a hit on the web.

I was more having a go at the writter not Bannenberg.

The history stuff is interesting. its one of the things i love about Radical Brewing by Mosher. I recon these boys have done a great thing, its def a shame to loose history. but they would have more of a chance of selling a 'coffee table' (or should that be beer table) book if the price was lower.

Yeah figured that CM2, wasn't digging at you. And agree, that Radical Brewing book is a ripper.
Reckon maybe Banners comments got edited. I certainly wouldn't agree with his shelf-life comment either - particularly when so many craft brews (and ours) can last ages. If I see him I'm gonna give him some crap about it. ;) I'll ask him if he's ever tried a drink called stout. :lol: Have one in my cellar that will happily keep for a couple of years.

Hopper.

Yeah figured that CM2, wasn't digging at you. And agree, that Radical Brewing book is a ripper.
Reckon maybe Banners comments got edited. I certainly wouldn't agree with his shelf-life comment either - particularly when so many craft brews (and ours) can last ages. If I see him I'm gonna give him some crap about it. ;) I'll ask him if he's ever tried a drink called stout. :lol: Have one in my cellar that will happily keep for a couple of years.

Hopper.
tell him you want a freebee signed by the authors

But megabrew definitely doesn't last 6 months, with added non-hop preservatives...

Back