Age Article - At $160 A Bottle, It's Beer, But Not As You Kno

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
For those unlucky enough not to get the Age or see the Sunday Age article on expensive craft beers - here you go

talks about the (and I quote) "growing band of beer connoisseurs prepared to open their wallets to indulge their palates"

Its a good article but what is more interesting is the section on the biero bistro (in melbourne) where you can sample these uber expesnive beers but dont have to buy a full bottle and its always fresh due to the 'keg' system they have come up with. Its just interesting read is all.... oh and depending on what they have on offer and for how much a few of us melbournians might go have a try. although given its a bar it will no doubt still be cheaper to go to a purvis/craftbrewer/slowbeer/etc and buy it straight from them and then share it.

For those unlucky enough not to get the Age or see the Sunday Age article on expensive craft beers - here you go

talks about the (and I quote) "growing band of beer connoisseurs prepared to open their wallets to indulge their palates"

Its a good article but what is more interesting is the section on the biero bistro (in melbourne) where you can sample these uber expesnive beers but dont have to buy a full bottle and its always fresh due to the 'keg' system they have come up with. Its just interesting read is all.... oh and depending on what they have on offer and for how much a few of us melbournians might go have a try. although given its a bar it will no doubt still be cheaper to go to a purvis/craftbrewer/slowbeer/etc and buy it straight from them and then share it.
$160 a stubby.
Yet we can brew 2 slabs of something similar for $20 (give or take a few $). :icon_chickcheers:

$160 a stubby.
Yet we can brew 2 slabs of something similar for $20 (give or take a few $). :icon_chickcheers:
if you can brew tacticle nuke penguin or Bismark for $20 im wanting the recipe!

and suer the article isnt aimed at brewers who can make their own beer, its more for those that dont make their owen but enjoy good beer. i thought it was interesting article anyway.

Am I alone in thinking that at 40ish% ABV, a scotch would be a better employment of barley & alcohol?

Sunday Telegraph - Sunday mag yesterday.
Some tiny article titled "Have you noticed Homebrewing is back in vogue?" haha
Even got a plug for AHB in it. :beerbang:
I'm sure someone has already posted a link for it here.

p.s. No haven't got a $20 bismark recipe. but you get my drift!

CM2, Notice who wrote the article?!?

Mr. James Smith! (BJCP course) ;)

Sunday Telegraph - Sunday mag yesterday.
Some tiny article titled "Have you noticed Homebrewing is back in vogue?" haha
Even got a plug for AHB in it. :beerbang:
I'm sure someone has already posted a link for it here.

Ha ha, saw that one. I don't read the Sunday mag but SWMBO pointed it out to me. I reckon it's a good article CM2, interesting how much beer is actaully being appreciated these days, and not just drunk to get, well, drunk

"Am I alone in thinking that at 40ish% ABV, a scotch would be a better employment of barley & alcohol?"

no your not :)

Ha ha, saw that one. I don't read the Sunday mag but SWMBO pointed it out to me. I reckon it's a good article CM2, interesting how much beer is actaully being appreciated these days, and not just drunk to get, well, drunk
there was anothwer article in Herald Sun and Age last week about consumption rates droppping because of want of quality over quanitity. was rather amusing to see those articles then in the business section all the stuff about fosters splitting the company up into 'beer' and 'other'.

Damn you Peter for not havging a $20 TNP recipe! :lol:

I was at a family bbq on sunday and a family friend asked me about the melb guy selling his business shares to get his brewery off the gorund. i would never ave expected this person to know anything about that topic. so there is definitely a growing awareness of craftbrewing out there. slowly its growing. slowly.

mind you there will always be a market for bland crap...gave my old man a taste of one of my beers (like an irish red), and his comment was an unimpressed 'hmm sweet beer?' (clearly mistaking malt with little hops for sweetness). oh well.

Damn you Peter for not havging a $20 TNP recipe! :lol:
Deepest apologies from the bottom of my fermenter, CM.
But I do have a dark strong ale recipe using 3 out of date brewferm cans you're welcome to.
$18 for 3 cans. $4 for sugar... about $4 for grain... Sorry, $26.... bit expensive there.
Still fermenting so can't say if it's a goer yet.

mind you there will always be a market for bland crap...gave my old man a taste of one of my beers (like an irish red), and his comment was an unimpressed 'hmm sweet beer?' (clearly mistaking malt with little hops for sweetness). oh well.

I'm still making that mistake...

I have stopped offering my beer to the unwashed, unless they ask for it. Not going to waste it on these people who think anything with a sniff of malt in it is 'sweet'.

there is sweet as in underattentuated, as oppossed to lots of malt and litle hops like a scottish heavy or a red ale or something. there is malt 'sweetness' or some crystal 'sweetness' but its not sugar sweetness. if you get my drift.

I have stopped offering my beer to the unwashed, unless they ask for it. Not going to waste it on these people who think anything with a sniff of malt in it is 'sweet'.
whilst its getting a little OT, yeah i have the same issues, although it dod work out ok, 3 family firends who were there and drink megaswill happlily were more than happy with the beer i took and drank that instead of their coronas. so that was a win i thought.

there is sweet as in underattentuated, as oppossed to lots of malt and litle hops like a scottish heavy or a red ale or something. there is malt 'sweetness' or some crystal 'sweetness' but its not sugar sweetness. if you get my drift.

yeah, just teasing!

that said, I find underattenuation and too much crystal malt way too common in homebrew, myself included.

Agreed, was drinking some of my brew at a camp-oven cook-out on Sat night and a bloke noticed my homebrew. Turns out he homebrews as well, after further conversation turns out he brews tins of Coopers Mexican cerveza with raw sugar. Didn't think he would appreciate my Nelson Sauvin lager, bitter APA or Choc Porter and as I only had a couple of each couldn't be bothered wasting it on him.

hey're the $150,000 brainchild of a group of Melbourne graduates who wanted a way to sample exotic beers available only in bottles. ''This way we can showcase some really rare bottles or give people the chance to buy an expensive beer to be transferred to the vaults where it can be kept fresh for up to four or five days,'' says co-founder Iqbal Ameer.
not really a brainchild in my opinion. The clear tubes of beer under the fluoro lights, FFS.
Brain-dead-child perhaps.

beervault_420x0.gif

Back to the drawing board geniuses. Must have been arts grads, or maybe engineers. Certainly not biologists or chemists.

My 2 cents worth

nice pick up Lez. i wonder what the deterioration rate is?

edit:L its probably bugger all in the short amount of time that a beer is actually in the 'vault'.

not really a brainchild in my opinion. The clear tubes of beer under the fluoro lights, FFS.
Brain-dead-child perhaps.

Back to the drawing board geniuses. Must have been arts grads, or maybe engineers. Certainly not biologists or chemists.

My 2 cents worth
Actually they are quite technical, the engineering company that created the vaults have put in a lot of hard work getting it right. You can see some of the prototypes and stuff on their website: http://www.joneschijoff.com/

The deterioration rate of the beer is still being experimented with, there is a lot of variables to adjust. I work there ;)

Any of the staff would be happy to tell you about the system and how it works if you want to go in a chat to them. Or ask me, whatever. Regardless of the vaults and their gimmickry, it's a nice place to buy a fancy beer to share with friends, or try something different.

Actually they are quite technical, the engineering company that created the vaults have put in a lot of hard work getting it right. You can see some of the prototypes and stuff on their website: http://www.joneschijoff.com/

The deterioration rate of the beer is still being experimented with, there is a lot of variables to adjust. I work there ;)

Any of the staff would be happy to tell you about the system and how it works if you want to go in a chat to them. Or ask me, whatever. Regardless of the vaults and their gimmickry, it's a nice place to buy a fancy beer to share with friends, or try something different.

well... go for it! tell us how it works!

plus "The deterioration rate of the beer is still being experimented with" sounds like the team just don't know yet.... there is plenty of info around about deterioration for beer in clear coloured vessels.

Jimmy

Back