AG Pilsner in the keg is too strong and too bitter- what to add?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierent

Reaction score
Hi all
It's been over a year since I've brewed or been on the forum, and my first brew in that time I've missed the mark on my bitterness, it's way too high to my taste. This has actually been a common thing for my brews but not this bad in the past, and a bit of research leads me to think that's my no chill methods, so I can fix that.

On the upside, my efficiency was the best I've ever achieved so my brew ended up around 5.35% alc. So I'm thinking seeing I have 20L of strong, bitter beer in a keg, what can I add to mellow it out so the average man can enjoy it next weekend on Australia day?

I've read lactose or dex to add sweetness, I was even thinking just water to weaken it? But I was thinking maybe it's an opportunity to make it an interesting brew, maybe some juice? I don't have to worry about sugar re-fermenting because it's in a keg kept at 3-4deg C.

Any ideas? It's not the best brew I've done, so I'm open to experimentation on this one.

Water is probably your best bet, it's not a style that'll take a lot of mickey-ing around real well. When I read the title my initial thought was "time" - shame you don't have the luxury, 2-3 months in the fridge and I think you'd be on to a winner. If you really have to serve it by this weekend, water is about your only option.

Personally I'd tell people to just man up. By the second or third glass no one will worry anyway. Just serve some decent bbq lamb and no one will notice the bitterness through the fat anyway.

Haha, yeah the lamb will be good so it might be fine :) Thanks

A good Pilsener will seem super bitter on the first few sips.

If it goes beyond that dilute (20%) with water, or even better soda water (water pre-carbed)

kierent said:
I've read lactose or dex to add sweetness,
Lactose is an unfermentable sugar, so will add sweetness but would most likely taste like s*&t if added to a pilsner. Dex is 100% fermentable and will only add more alcohol, not sweetness.

JD

Make sure if you're watering it down you use deoxygenated water, else you'll oxidise your beer.

JD- yep dex would ferment but not in this case because it's in a cold keg.

Wiggman, is de-oxygenated water just boiled cooled water?

kierent said:
JD- yep dex would ferment but not in this case because it's in a cold keg.
Wiggman, is de-oxygenated water just boiled cooled water?
The yeast is still active at keg temps, just slow so it probably won't ferment the Dex before the weekend. You could draw off a measured sample, add some Dex to that and see how you go before committing. Reckon water will give a better result though as sweetness is, IMO, out of place in a Pilsner.

boiling water for 5 minutes or so should get rid of most of the dissolved oxygen, if I remember my chemistry correctly. The problem is that is quickly redissolves as the water cools, so you'll need to store the water at near boiling in an airtight container without oxygen present until it cools, then add it to the beer again trying to exclude oxygen

Just leave it alone for a month and try again. Good lagers take time.

pour some into a glass and add water/etc.. to the glass to figure out what works for you.

Latest posts

Back