Ag Pale Ale Is A Touch Sweet What To Do

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i have made andrews coopers pale ale clone, i have had it in the keg for a couple of days so i decided to taste test it, first taste i had and i thought it tasted great for only 2 days in the keg,however after drinking a pint of it i realise that it is a touch sweeter than i wanted, can i add some more por hops into the keg by boiling some up and tipping it into the keg,its still very drinkable but would just like to take the sweetness off it a bit.

fergi

You've only had it in the keg for 2 days? Leave it for at least 10 and then give it another go.

At the end of the week there's not a lot you can do to take away the sweetness.. Except finish the keg, and brew another batch! :chug:

WHat was the FG?

You've only had it in the keg for 2 days? Leave it for at least 10 and then give it another go.

At the end of the week there's not a lot you can do to take away the sweetness.. Except finish the keg, and brew another batch! :chug:

WHat was the FG?

final grav was 1010, og was 1042, would have thought at those figures it wouldnt exhibit any sweetness.

fergi

have you made this recipe before? And did you make it exactly the same (same ibus etc)?

I would keg hop to give it a little kick.

15g maybe ... POR flowers would be great...

have you made this recipe before? And did you make it exactly the same (same ibus etc)?

this is the first time i have made this coopers pale ,andrew qld recipe, made it to the recipe.

fergi

I would keg hop to give it a little kick.

15g maybe ... POR flowers would be great...

only have p.o.r pelletts, thinking 10 grms boiled in water for 5 mins and strain into keg.
fergi

I did two batches recently that were too sweet. Now I drink them blended with an AIPA. Yum.

If I was a kegging man I wouldn't hesitate to back-bitter/blend a keg with something more bitter to compensate. I have just driven to swan hill and back for a funeral so can't be arsed finding the info for you, but I am pretty sure that you will need some malt in the boil if you are looking to extract hop bitterness. Of course I could be wrong and I am way too tirred to care. But have a quick squizz to check! :blink:

only have p.o.r pelletts, thinking 10 grms boiled in water for 5 mins and strain into keg.
fergi

hay ferg..

I asked a similar question HERE a while ago and didnt get alot of love.. guess the jury is still out.. didnt do it, drank it anyway but cant remember it being special....but ok.. well its gone so cant have been too bad :ph34r:

and now I think about it Im spewin I didnt try it coz I woulda had my answer and know for next time.. I'll bloody try next time if it happens again though ;)
Not kegging nor bittering... nor too sweet though so sorry if slightly :icon_offtopic: .. but it was a Pale Ale :blink:

Yob

i have made andrews coopers pale ale clone, i have had it in the keg for a couple of days so i decided to taste test it, first taste i had and i thought it tasted great for only 2 days in the keg,however after drinking a pint of it i realise that it is a touch sweeter than i wanted, can i add some more por hops into the keg by boiling some up and tipping it into the keg,its still very drinkable but would just like to take the sweetness off it a bit.

fergi

is it fully carbed yet ?

flat beer always tastes sweet to me,

after its carbonated, it tastes drier and more bitter, more like beer and less like cordial

give it a bit more time before you try what others have suggested

Fergi, I'd boil some hops for half an hour to extract bitterness to balance the sweetness.
I have done this a few times actually to very good effect - well, not boiled hops but added some ISO bittering hop to balance things.
What I did absolutely works but your suggestion of boiling fresh hops would no doubt be better

cheers, adam

you could use the bribie coffee plunger method, steep some hops in a coffee plunger and add the liquid to the keg. i did this to "fix" a sweet beer. this adds some bitterness and hop flavor.

I made the AG pale ale from the DB aswell and i found it to be way to sweet. I brew BIAB in this brew i had the hops in the bag for the full 60mins. Maybe i did not squish the bag enough at the end of the boile? Maybe i should have just put the hops in with out the bag? Anyway im now also mixing this beer. Half pint AG pale, and the other half pint is a kit coopers IPA dry hoped with chinook and Amarilo.....iNTERESTING... :super:

Is andrewQLD still out there?...

The fg 1010 is why it tastes sweet. It's meant to get down to 1006 or 1004. I've had the same issue. For a seemingly simple brew it can be tricky to get right. Pay attention to the mash steps and make sure you have a large starter to get the desired attenuation.

I'm not sure that dry or keg hopping with POR is going to solve your issue. If you want to do that maybe choose a different hop more suited to dry hopping. but then it wouldn't be a cpa would it?

The upside to this is you get to make it again!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back