AG Hoegaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
Just noticed the title, should be AG

I have been looking for a clone recipe and have put this together just looking for some feedback.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Garden Of Hoes
Brewer: Ben
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 45.00 L
Boil Size: 51.14 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.91 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 45.45 %
2.35 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 27.27 %
2.35 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 27.27 %
40.66 gm Hallertauer [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
40.66 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.90 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
0.27 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.27 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 8.61 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 25.83 L of water at 56.2 C 50.0 C
30 min Saccharification Add 3.37 L of water and heat to 68.068.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Mashing at 68.c as my system attentuates very well.

How does it look??

Cheers
Scotsman

Looks like a good recipe....but I would ad some oats(5%) to it.
Gives it a nice silky and smoother taste.

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Beloz

not sure if you have a typo there, but 0.27gm for the coriander and orange peel seems a bit low??

Cheers SJ

Looks like a good recipe....but I would ad some oats(5%) to it.
Gives it a nice silky and smoother taste.

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Beloz
Traditionally wit is:
barley malt 50%
raw wheat 45% (flaked or torrified is OK)
oats 5%

So yes, add some oats. You may also want to add some rice hulls to aid in lautering - I've made a wit once (using torrified wheat)and didn't use rice hulls, got a big stuck sparge. I would also back off the late hops - I don't think Hoegaarden has a big hop flavour (to my taste anyway). Coriander and orange peel are usually 15-20 grams - I assume 0.27gram is a typo? Jamil also adds 1 gram camomile in his Wit recipe, perhaps add some if you can get it.

Here is the updated recipe, yes .27gm was a typo will 27gm be enough for a 40lt batch?? Added the rice hulls and oats too.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Garden Of Hoes
Brewer: Ben Sparks
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 45.00 L
Boil Size: 51.14 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 9.89 %
3.91 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 38.71 %
2.35 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 23.23 %
2.35 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 23.23 %
0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 4.95 %
40.66 gm Hallertauer [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
40.70 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.90 %] (20 min)Hops 3.8 IBU
27.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
27.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.11 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 30.33 L of water at 56.2 C 50.0 C
30 min Saccharification Add 3.96 L of water and heat to 68.068.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Cheers
Scotsman

Id love to make this as my first AG Wit but i either need to drink less so i can free up the brew fridge or brew more and bottle the extra(only 2 kegs.. shock horror i know)

Im guessing that this yeast needs similar treatment as a general larger? as in it needs to ferment low and long with a largering period?

Tom

Edit... kids love hitting buttons on keyboards dont they :p

Id love to make this as my first AG Wit but i either need to drink less so i can free up the brew fridge or brew more and bottle the extra(only 2 kegs.. shock horror i know)

Im guessing that this yeast needs similar treatment as a general larger? as in it needs to ferment low and long with a largering period?

Tom

Edit... kids love hitting buttons on keyboards dont they :p

I haven't used this yeast personally, but being a kind of wheat yeast, I'd hazard a guess at no. The wyeast website indicates this is a true top cropping yeast, with optimum ferment temps on the higher side of the spectrum (up to 24C), quite the opposite to a lager yeast.

Hi all,

On the yeast topic I brewed a recipe very similiar to this about 4 weeks ago. I brewed as low as I could get it around 12deg , thinking that this would help and while the beer (in its infancy) still has the taste albeit a little on the bitter side it has a distinct egg smell. I put his down to underpitching the yeast in the cold conditions. I may be way off, im hoping it just goes away.

aches

Is there a reason people are fermenting these wits so low? I'd be looking to do it at at least 20C...

Is there a reason people are fermenting these wits so low? I'd be looking to do it at at least 20C...

Simple answer - It seemed like the right idea at the time. I now know that it is not.

Thanks Sammus.. i dont know where the preconception that this yeast needs lager temps came from.. and i suppose you raised a great point, Being on the net means that we do have access to the Wyeast website and the facts of this strain and others.
Still doesnt explain the issue with the preconception that this needs to be fermented at lower temps.

Tom

yeah thats what I was kinda asking, didn't mean for achy in particular, but I've read it a few times that people want to ferment belgians like lagers. The only reason I can think of is that sometimes it is recommended to 'lager' some belgian beers for a month or two before drinking, but largering in that sense isn't like lagering a lager, its more like storing it in the bottles for a month or more at 10C before drinking it...

yeah thats what I was kinda asking, didn't mean for achy in particular, but I've read it a few times that people want to ferment belgians like lagers. The only reason I can think of is that sometimes it is recommended to 'lager' some belgian beers for a month or two before drinking, but largering in that sense isn't like lagering a lager, its more like storing it in the bottles for a month or more at 10C before drinking it...
Spot on, that where i stumbled...

For the belgians it's more to do with conditioning it as generally they have high alc content and a whole heap of other flavours which need to mellow a bit.

Wheats ferment quick and want to be drunk fresh.

Good choice Scotsman.

Beware the witbeer wyeast. Leave at least 1/3 head space or have a blow off tube.

I would double the citrus peel and the taste still won't be that strong. I would also drink it within a month or two as the flavours dissipate and it becomes a sweet boring drink with time.

For that % unmalted wheat I would treat it seperately before throwing in the mash. From memory it is 55deg 20mins, 65deg 20mins and boil for 15mins then throw into your mash. Check the articles to be sure.

Matt

Scotsman, use a microplane if you have one and use fresh oranges. I put zest from 10 limes in a 40 litre batch and the lime aroma is awesome.
I recken 10 oranges worth of zest would be good for 40 litres.

Scotsman, use a microplane if you have one and use fresh oranges. I put zest from 10 limes in a 40 litre batch and the lime aroma is awesome.
I recken 10 oranges worth of zest would be good for 40 litres.

Thats a good idea, saves me drying the zest out at work too.

Good choice Scotsman.

Beware the witbeer wyeast. Leave at least 1/3 head space or have a blow off tube.

I would double the citrus peel and the taste still won't be that strong. I would also drink it within a month or two as the flavours dissipate and it becomes a sweet boring drink with time.

For that % unmalted wheat I would treat it seperately before throwing in the mash. From memory it is 55deg 20mins, 65deg 20mins and boil for 15mins then throw into your mash. Check the articles to be sure.

Matt

Whats the reason for doing this to the unmalted wheat??

Whats the reason for doing this to the unmalted wheat??

Yeh, probably not absolutely necessary but my last couple I have been using a method recommended by Randy Mosher called American adjuct mash procedure. It's not much more effort and more is extracted more from the adjunct to give a better result. Hard to compare as I've never had two brews together at the same time. However the efficiency is right on the money.

I've had a bit of success using his recommedations.

Matt

Back