Ag = Easier Than Kits?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And learn nothing about brewing, only fermentation...

Bad Fermentation probably produces more shit home brew than almost any other part of the process - with the only likely exception that I can currently think of being Bad Cleaning and Sanitation. Learning how to do it properly can only be a good thing.

I am sure that I will get it right one fortnight.

Just finished my first ag, took me a good 5 hours or so but I'm sure with a bit of practice I can shave that down a touch, went with dr smurtos golden ale as that was my last extract brew so I can have an extract vs ag taste test.

4-5 hours is pretty average for me. I enjoy the process so the length of time isn't an issue.

I no chill and often finish cleaning the day after too, although I do often step and decoction mash.

FWK's are by far the easiest. With kits I must admit I often have more trouble with them than I do AG. AG is more effort obviously but the brew day always goes smoothly. With kits I always have some kind of problem, like for example I'll use dry malt extract or a brew enhancer and it'll clump into golf ball size clumps that are hard to break up, or the tap water will be too hot and I'll only get it to 28 degrees and think damn it should I pitch the yeast or not. Plus the tins of goop are messy etc. I always stress out when making kits, which is funny. I haven't made one in a long time but I did make one after doing a few AG's because I wanted to get rid of the ingredients. Never again. Fresh Wort Kits or my own AG will be the only brewing I ever do again, without a doubt.

I was thinking "...yeah kits where easier, it was just tin, sugar, water, mix, yeast, & ferment" ... but now reading your post and remembering the clumps of DME & over-temp wort that needed to cool before pitching yeast ... yes it was actually more stressful! :lol:

Now with AG brew days are great... they are an event unto themselves & I enjoy spending the extra time "crafting" a beer the way I want it. :)

It would be great if i could make tasty beer with kits. 20mins per brew does sound appealing. However with a nice big pot there's always a cube to pitch and i never get a chance to try a kit brew out. I'm sure with all the things i've learnt i could make a passable one, but even then they're a little too expensive for my tastes.

People who make kit beer and then bottle it probably put in as much work per brew as people who do simple AG, and keg.

It might take 4 hours to make an AG batch, but well over 2 of those hours are spent doing something else. A watched pot never mashes.

People who make kit beer and then bottle it probably put in as much work per brew as people who do simple AG, and keg.

It might take 4 hours to make an AG batch, but well over 2 of those hours are spent doing something else. A watched pot never mashes.
If nick and I agree it must be right. It happens so rarely, lol.

And an unwatched kettle always boils over. :)

Latest posts

Back