Advice Re Partial Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmactruck

Reaction score
Need advice re partial mash!!!

I recently purchased some speciality grains and in my infinite wisdom had them all "crushed and mixed" in the same bag, OOPS!!!

1kg Carapils malt
125 g Black patent malt
85 g Carafa III

I do not wish to throw them away. Can I mash these and get away with that in a stout/porter recipe combined with either stout kit or DME.??

:icon_drunk:

Yes you should be fine with a kit. Actually that's not a partial as such as they are all steeping grains and don't need to be strictly mashed as such (not in the same way that base pale malts need to be mashed so that their enzymes can convert their starches to sugars - this has already been done "in husk" to the malts you have bought)
So just steep in about 4L of water in a stockpot at around 68 degrees for an hour to extract the goodies, strain the liquid off, boil for maybe half an hour with hops of your choice and use it with a kit or with LDME. I would personally go for a stout kit plus a kilo of LDME for an Foreign type stout, or with 2.5 kg LDME for a porter.

Many on the forum might hold their hands up in horror at the kilo of Carapils but I talked to Thomas from Weyermann in a Q&A at one of his lectures last year and he said that Carapils can be used for up to a third of a brew - which made some jaws drop at the time. But heck, he's da man :beerbang:

Yes you should be fine with a kit. Actually that's not a partial as such as they are all steeping grains and don't need to be strictly mashed as such (not in the same way that base pale malts need to be mashed so that their enzymes can convert their starches to sugars - this has already been done "in husk" to the malts you have bought)
So just steep in about 4L of water in a stockpot at around 68 degrees for an hour to extract the goodies, strain the liquid off, boil for maybe half an hour with hops of your choice and use it with a kit or with LDME. I would personally go for a stout kit plus a kilo of LDME for an Foreign type stout, or with 2.5 kg LDME for a porter.

Many on the forum might hold their hands up in horror at the kilo of Carapils but I talked to Thomas from Weyermann in a Q&A at one of his lectures last year and he said that Carapils can be used for up to a third of a brew - which made some jaws drop at the time. But heck, he's da man :beerbang:

Thankyou for your reply. A 1/3 you say!! that's awesome. I did consider my options -- how about a nut brown ale kit (too dark)??? :super:

Latest posts

Back