Stuffed my first partial...I think.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to brewing, having done 3 kits and a couple ciders. After enjoying helping my brother in law out a few times with his partials, I decided to try one of my own. I used Jet's Fat Yak recipe, using a two bucket Lauter, following the recipe to a tee...or at least so I thought.

At my LHBS I asked for and was given the grains that I needed, yeast and hops. I followed the steps closely, heating to 74 deg strike temp, mashing for 60 mins at 67 deg...sparging water at 76 deg, boiling for 60 mins. Added the LME and hops as per schedule and then chilled in an ice bath to 23 deg.

Took a SG reading, I was surprised to see it at 1034 (most of that I thought, would be from the LME?).

Because it was 10pm by then, I decided to pitch the yeast anyway and figure out my problem the next day. Decided to add 1kg of DME dissolved in boiling water. OG was now at target of 1047. I thought it was saved.

After talking with my bro in law over the phone, I told him what I had done and the problems I had. By chance, I read out the names of the grains I had used. "1.5kg of carapils, .5kg Munich, .1kg of crystal pale, 1.7kg coopers APA LME, and the extra 1kg of DME". "There's your problem" he said, "carapils is not the same thing as Pilsner malt...."

We'll bugger me...So now I have about $40 of ingredients sitting in the brew fridge and a decision to make whether to kept it or not! Yes, my fault for not knowing enough about base malts, but surprised the dude at the brew shop didn't know either!

Would I be best cutting my losses on this one?

Would using the carapils in the bill be the cause for such low efficiency? Despite using the wrong grain, I feel perhaps I didn't crush the grain enough.

Any thoughts, help and lecturing would be much appreciated!

Keep it but yes - you have way too much spec malt and might get a thick/cloying beer that stops quite high. Won't be total arse so - drink, relate mistakes to results and get the next one going. Research info about the malts you use from now on. Distinguish spec malts from base, roast from cara/crystal and the kilning levels of various base malts.

Go to a different brew shop mate. Shits me how often this comes up about bad advice from LHBS's. Don't know how some of these joints stay in business when the know sweet FA. Give the site sponsors a go. The businesses that advertise on here that I have spoken to really know there stuff and won't lead you astray.

RDWHAHB (Relax don't worry have a home brew) in the end you've made beer.

Be interesting to hear what the final product tastes like.

I guess you could always take it to the next level with an All Grain carapils / fuggles SMaSH :)

Certainty a bit of learning in this game. Caramalt, carapils, cararoma, pirates of the....etc etc. Google is your friend in this regard. I reckon investing in a good book is the way to go. Perhaps an Xmas present for your bro in law?

As otehrs have said the carapils should only be a few % of the bill so yes you will have a lot of unfermentable sugars in their and a thick brew. Carapils usually is used to aid head retention so your brew should have mirangue peaks on it! Dont tip it- ferment it out and try it. Get onto IanH's spreadsheet and plot in the details to see what it should finish at- I imagine around 1.02-1.025 with that amount of cp in there.

As WerePrawn said the HBS should be ashamed and they should refund you the brew costs IMO. If you get no joy drop them like a bag of shit and let them know so.

NExt one mate- just go the full AG. You are doing as much work but you will get a better product. Look in the recipes data base and pick an easy one you think you will like and go for it.

Droopy Brew said:
As otehrs have said the carapils should only be a few % of the bill so yes you will have a lot of unfermentable sugars in their and a thick brew. Carapils usually is used to aid head retention so your brew should have mirangue peaks on it! Dont tip it- ferment it out and try it. Get onto IanH's spreadsheet and plot in the details to see what it should finish at- I imagine around 1.02-1.025 with that amount of cp in there.

As WerePrawn said the HBS should be ashamed and they should refund you the brew costs IMO. If you get no joy drop them like a bag of shit and let them know so.

NExt one mate- just go the full AG. You are doing as much work but you will get a better product. Look in the recipes data base and pick an easy one you think you will like and go for it.
Thanks Droopy Brew, I'll check out the spreadsheet. And yes, will be keen to go all grain, I guess I was thinking I should learn to walk before trying to run. :)

antiphile said:
Have to agree with all the posters here. In the early/learning stages, you might like to bookmark the following link.

http://brewbeeranddrinkit.com/a-home-brewing-malts-guide/

Cheers
Thanks antphile, that looks like a great description for me to get started with.

DU99 said:
"which state you live"
In Perth, DU99.

This brew may be good to cook with if not drinkable .

Back