Adventurous Brewers Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled them a few weeks back. The dry hopped version left a lot more trub but that is not rocket science. I will do my first test soon.

I know this is and old thread but with lots more brewers this year some new brewers might be interested in doing some side by side experiments, some old brewers might also have the curiosity to try it.

It doesn't have to be exact science, all knowledge helps.
;)

I think this is a great idea, pretty much the only way to learn what things affect our beers the most. Reading about brewing is one thing but hands on experience is hard to beat.

I was trying something like this to find out what some hop flavours are, being new to home brewing. Flavours and smells are nearly impossible to describe in words IMO.

I did 2 Morgans Blue Mountain Lager kits. One with just brew sugars(Dex, DME, Maltodextrin). The other with 1.5kg liquid malt and 12g Pride of Ringwood hops. Well the difference was obvious, the liquid malt one was darker with bigger body and taste! After reading this thread I see there are many more factors which may also have affected the outcome... Spliting a wort in 2 may be better.

Brewtus,
Do you remember the differences in your dry hopped/non dry hopped lagers?

Mick.

There was a definite difference in the taste. It was some what predictable except how much more fermenting or at least bubbling went on. I think it came down to taste if it was better or worse but it defiantly had a stonger hop taste but no more bitter.

<abbrev> Spliting a wort in 2 may be better.
</abbrev>Mick.
I recently split an all-grain wort in two. It was a porter, with a heavy influence of choc wheat. I fermented half with a culture of W1028 London Ale and the remainder with W1187 Ringwood ale. Both were fermented on the same room, at the same temp of 18-20C.
The Ringwood beer finished about 2 days sooner (based on a 600 ml culture of each), and had a fruitier, butterscotch/diacetyl flavour, where the London Ale yeast provided a drier finish and much less esters.

I split a batch of grain-based Mild onto the yeast cake(s) and got a much more caramel/toffee experience from the Ringwood. Very enjoyable and IMHO better balanced. BTW, both fermented out in 2 days at 18-20C, before the HAG brew comp.

Guess who has a new fave Brit yeast? :D

Les :p

Latest posts

Back