adjusting (increasing) IBU's after primary ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benf

Reaction score
Can someone please advise on the following?

The weekend just gone I brewed a California common style beer. Unfortunately when I put the recipe together in Brewmate I didn't realise that I had inadvertently ticked the no-chill box, so my hop additions were calculated way too low and seems that the theoretical IBU of what I made is about 19, when I was actually going for something around 30.

The batch is now almost done on primary ferment and I am about to dry hop (hence I have just realised my mistake!!). I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make an adjustment in the IBU to bump it up at this point in the game?

If it helps, hops I have used in this brew and still have available are Simcoe, Galaxy and Hallertau.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

My advice is just drink it as is whenever it's ready and write it off to experience.

quiet kiwi said:
Can someone please advise on the following?
Im sure you would enjoy it regardless. People put to much faith in numbers :)

First taste it and see what you think. If it still needs more bitterness, you can get liquid hops/iso hops from a lot of decent homebrew places. A bottle will last a very long time.

tbh no have not tasted it. I was just trying to get my head around what I could possibly do when I do taste and dry hop tonight if I am not happy with it.

Sounds like putting it down to experience might be a reasonable option though. It was just meant to be an easy summer drinker, nothing too complex, so may still fit this bill. I hope so atleast as I have 60 litres of it now to drink easily. Just thought there might be a simple-ish option with the hops I have in the fridge to do something to make an adjustment.

Thanks so far for your replies.

What Kev said. Isomerised hop extract can be added to taste in the keg. Easy.

Probably a good idea to taste the beer first though.

Just done some reading on isohop extract, my local homebrew shop sells 50ml for $6 so seems a cheap option, or better yet I can probably get some from a mate that works for Lion.

Calculations I have done would suggest that I would be adding about 0.1ml per keg to get an increase of 10 IBU, which I think is a couple of drops. Does that sound right to anyone who has used this stuff before? Not sure if I trust my shaky hands and nerves to dispense just 2 drops but will see how we go. At that dosage rate a bottle should last me, my kids and their kids to come!!

Could you stick Xg of hops into a sausepan, boil, strain and add to the fermenter/keg?

Latest posts

Back