Adelaide Tap Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prostheticHead

Reaction score
I have been lurking around for a few days now reading up and getting some info for my new hobby while my first brew bubbles away.
Lots of great info here and my next brew should be a lot better then the one I have on now.
one thing I have not been able to find a clear answer for is, is Adelaide Tap water OK to use in my beers?

The thing I have seen repeated a lot is if you drink it then its fine for your brew, I have drank Adelaide tap water my whole life but I know its not the best water in Australia.
will it make a huge difference to the taste? what do other Adelaide home brewers use?

I use water out of a Puratap for my brews (kit, extract and now AG). No problems here. Really should get around to replacing the filter though.

Welcome to the forums...

For the moment I would worry more about sanitation and temperature control.

Adelaide Tap water will be fine, especially for K&K beers.

Like Adamt said best to focus on sanitation and temp control at this stage

Excellent thats what I was hoping the next thing I'm going to work on is temp control and keeping the brew cool and was hoping I could concentrate on that without worrying about water too.

AFAIK, Adelaide tap water is some of the BEST in terms of making beer - lots of calcium and magnesium yummies for the yeast. Using a PuraTap will remove some of these, and is therefore less desirable. I've heard a 50/50 mix is the way to go.

The SABC Thebarton Brewery has an aquifer so they can get all the Adelaide water they want without the added chlorine. For $1 you can fill up an 11L water bottle and use the same water they do.

The aquefer is the reason the brewery was built there in the first place - its the best water in Adelaide

I have heard though, that it isnt capable of providing enough flow for their production levels these days and the supplement it from the main

As for mains water, I always used filtered water for K&K but dont bother for mashing, the ph is good for most beer styles and I wouldn't be overly concerned with water chemistry at this point. By the time the water is boiled, some of the crap will be boiled off. The only real concern is the chlorine. I know others worry about it but to be honest - I'm lazy and cant be bothered and I haven't had any complaints yet ;)

After seeing some of the crap that had built up in my hot water service tank over time one day(30-40cm of silt/sludge, completely burying the element.....) I run every little bit of water I use for brewing/drinking through a taste and odour filter first................I'd rather not have half the river murray in my beer and clearly SA water can't be arsed removing it for me. <_<

+2.

Adelaide water is fine IMO.

Working on building sites all over Adelaide I think it depends on where you are and what main you are connected to as to the quality of water you get.
I personally wouldn't drink tap water south of Cross Road/Anzac Hwy. IMO they add extra chlorine at that end of town to cover for what it picks up in the mains.
To my tastes water North of Parafield is a lot better and once North of Munno Para is excellent.

NigeP

After seeing some of the crap that had built up in my hot water service tank over time one day(30-40cm of silt/sludge, completely burying the element.....) I run every little bit of water I use for brewing/drinking through a taste and odour filter first................I'd rather not have half the river murray in my beer and clearly SA water can't be arsed removing it for me. <_<

suppose you hold your pinky out when you are drinking your beer too. :p

Latest posts

Back