Adding more hop character to a kegged batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA last month, and it's fermented out and I thought it was pretty good with the amount of late hops. I hop bursted with amarillo and chinook from 30 minutes and dry hopped with around 50g of amarillo. I think the bitterness is just right, but it probably does lack a bit of late hop character. I've got a bit of cascade and centennial and columbus on hand (no amarillo left) and I was thinking of french pressing one of them with 500mL boiling water for 5-10 minutes, pouring into the keg, and repeating for another minute for more aroma and flavour (and also to mask a bit of diacetyl). Pouring near boiling hop extract into a carbonated, chilled keg sounds like it would be a bad idea. Maybe dry hop in the keg in a muslin bag or something? Maybe chill the boiled hop extract? It is a 7.1% beer, so I'm not too concerned about adding extra liquid and diluting it. I used to do this exact method for my hoppy beers when I used to no chill, but it was during the later days of fermentation at fermentation temps.

Thoughts? TL/DR: What can I do to add more late hop character and hide some diacetyl to my kegged 7.1% IPA.

(new) stocking > 3g/l > tooth floss > in keg

remove when desired or just drink and leave, eventually the level of the keg will fall below the strung up hops

keep drinking

Back