Adding A Lager Yeast At Bottling Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
for an upcoming experimental brew i was thinking of botteling an ale but by adding a lager yeast to the bulk priming bucket and letting it sit at cold temps while it primed the bottle. i was wondering what all your thoughts were, especially when concidering the risdual sugers that will be left over from the original fermentation that the lager yeast will eat but the ale yeast didn't.

should i half my priming amount? not add any at all perhaps? i'v not made up a recipe for the beer yet just throwing idea's around but it will most likely be something of mid gravity, 4.5-5%

would love to hear your thoughts on my questions and any of your experiances

cheers

-Phill

I believe that's what Little Creatures do to carb their bottles.

I think you should use the same amount of sugar as you would normally.

Not all lager yeasts will attenuate more than ale yeasts. In fact I would think on average the opposite would be true.

I think your priming addition would depend fully on the two yeasts you used.

not many reply's to this one, i thought it was an interesting topic :p guess i was wrong

i'll err on the side of caution and prime on the lower end of what i would normally use, if i decide to do the experiment this way, thanks guys

-Phill

What are your aims with doing this, DFT? Not saying it's a bad idea, but unless you are filtering (or conditioning your beer for many months) you'll still have plenty of ale yeast left over from fermentation for carbonation. That will still be present in the bottles along with the lager yeast, so I doubt your yeast will stick to the bottom any differently to normal. Anyway, that's just what I expect to happen so if you do give it a go, let us know if you notice any differences in practice.

sorry i should have explained the situation better, it's a challange from another brewer, there are 6 of us apart of the challenge, to make a beer using 3 different yeast strains.

I wanted to stay away from brett as i'm sure other people will be using it so i was thinking of useing two totally different ale yeasts for primary ferment, probably one that handles high heat at first then lower the temps slowly so i can add another lower temp telerant strain to finsh off the ferment (i was thinking a belgian strain and then perhaps something along the lines of cali common), then at bottleing time add a lager strain

-Phill

((woo 700 posts))

Latest posts

Back