Add flavour hop flavour after ferment.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeye84

Reaction score
Hi all, got a prob, just trying to come up with the best solution.

Made a blonde ale 55L batch with 82%pilz, 15% wheat & 3% caramel pilz. About 30 Ibu, 15ibu coming from a boil addition the other 15ibu from a 30min hot stand comprised of 20g Galaxy & 35g summer, I figured 1g per litre would be enough but not too much to drown out the malt.

My prob is I didn't get the desired hop flavour that I was expecting from the hot stand.

What would be the best solution dry hop to about 0.5g/l of 50/50 galaxy/summer, or steep the same amount in some hot water for 15-20min then add.

The beer is nice as it is, just needs a little more hop punch. But I don't want to over do it and have it too hoppy.

This could be the best option.View attachment 80943

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Is it still in the fermenter? If it is, why not boil up 100gm of DME in 1L of water and add hops to that as a mini boil? Cool and add to fermenter.

Yeh it's probably 75% fermented, thinking that might b the best option. Does it have to be dme? Or could I just use water?

boil the jug and steep it for 5-10mins, or just dry hop it for more aromatics.

If you are happy with the bitterness, you can make a hop tea as suggested but use only enough malt to make it to 1.010 to 1.015.
I boil it as I would a one litre starter, pour it into a French Press (coffee plunger) wait until it cools to around 70 then throw the hops in to steep until it cools to room temp.
You use about half the hops you would for a dry hop and you have the advantage of being able to draw off a measured sample of your beer and add a small measure of your tea to the sample at a time until it tastes just right then scale up the amount of tea added to the sample to the required volume to add to the fermenter.

Or, trust your guess and simply throw the hops in for a dry hop. Use less if concerned, taste a sample after a few days and add more if needed

rockeye84 said:
Yeh it's probably 75% fermented, thinking that might b the best option. Does it have to be dme? Or could I just use water?
You will extract more flavour and aroma with a little malt than none. If it it too much malt (1.030-1.050) you will extract bitterness as well.
Also, the malt will get the yeast working enough to use up any O2 that you may introduce but not to the point that enough CO2 is produced to drive off the aroma/flavour

Latest posts

Back