About to make My first attempt at hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J'sGarage

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am about to try adding hops to a Coopers euro lager tin, my recipe that I'm trying is the euro lager tin, 750g of dex, 500g of malt and 250g corn syrup. I have purchased a 15g teabag style amarillo . is this a suitable hop, or should I have gone with galaxy for this one?

Cheers
Jason

Hoppers has 2 good suggestions assuming your trying to keep in the euro style. That said trying any hops to begin with is a good way to get to know them. Amarillo is nice and orange/citrus while Hallertau is earthy/spicy. I currently have no experience with Saaz but a quick read says its spicy/herbal.

I'd say go for it with the Amarillo ( as you already have it) and try something different next time, perhaps the Hallertau. Citra is a good one to try if you like fruity!

My first dry hop was a with a 12gram Amarillo tea bag in lager style beer and after a four weeks in the keg I could hardly notice much aroma if at all.

I would suggest buying 100gram resealable packs as they are better value and dry hop with 20 grams or greater then store the rest in the fridge for later brews.

Even though I've only done 5 brews I've now acquired a small collection of different hops which I can now use in different combinations

Dry hopping is putting it in the keg by my understanding, I was going to boil it up for 10 minutes and then throw that into the wort before pitching the yeast
Would this work better?

Dry hopping is the addition of hops, after fermentation has finished(usually day about day 4 - 7 of the process). this could include hops in the keg too I guess. Dry hopping adds mostly aroma with a little bit of flavour. Doing the Boil option adds more flavour, and some bitterness, and little aroma. To keep it simple do the 5 - 10 minute boil option first. Next time I would do the boil and dry hop to get both flavour and aroma. As TheBig D has pointed out, dry hopping only with a little amount of hops gives aroma initially but the intensity dies off quiet early.

Once you get further into hops additions you will add hops to a boil at varying stages to get different results. the longer the boil the more bitterness is imparted, and the less flavour and aroma. typical kit and kilo additions in a boil, are 20 minutes, 10 minutes 5 minutes 0 minutes and dry hopping. 0 minutes means you add hops once you've stopped the boil and are cooling the wort down. In reality, you can add hops at any time to get the desired result, from 0 to 60 minutes!

On this topic I have tried and tried to get a hoppy beer and my latest I did a full 60min boil by mixing some DME with about 4 litres of water with 30g at 60 mins and about another 20g at 15 plus dry hopped.............And there seems to be ZERO hop flavour whats going wrong I,m getting fustrated here.....HELP

I used a hop tea bag once, and it made little impact. It I was to do it again I'd do as you are thinking and with a 10 minute boil. Amarillo is a nice hops. I'm not a purest so mixing styles and hops doesn't bother me Euro style with a touch of USA sounds fine to me. Let us know how it goes.

Will do. I was kind of expecting "no, don't do it" but the general consensus seems to be to go for it. I will add the results to this thread when the time comes.
Cheers

I have dry hopped with saaz once ..never again.
It tasted like grass.

A mate had the same result.
so don't do it I reckon.

I read somewhere the head brewer from little creature said to stick with hops that start with "C" when dry hopping.
That was obviously for Pale ales though.

In saying that I have made Pilsners with Amarillo and Galaxy dry hopped and they were pretty good.

vr4king said:
On this topic I have tried and tried to get a hoppy beer and my latest I did a full 60min boil by mixing some DME with about 4 litres of water with 30g at 60 mins and about another 20g at 15 plus dry hopped.............And there seems to be ZERO hop flavour whats going wrong I,m getting fustrated here.....HELP
What hops and how much DME? You'll get best hop utilisation from SG of 1030-1050. My suggestions would be to add more hops and also add more later. E.g. if you want 50 IBU then get those 50 by only doing 30 minute & less additions. Go crazy and do 10 minute additions and less only, although for a big beer that might set you back a bit more $ in hops.

Dry hop aroma fades over time, people say that 0 min and later additions are better at keeping the flavour / aroma and I have seen the same based on my small sample size.

pat86 said:
What hops and how much DME? You'll get best hop utilisation from SG of 1030-1050. My suggestions would be to add more hops and also add more later. E.g. if you want 50 IBU then get those 50 by only doing 30 minute & less additions. Go crazy and do 10 minute additions and less only, although for a big beer that might set you back a bit more $ in hops.

Dry hop aroma fades over time, people say that 0 min and later additions are better at keeping the flavour / aroma and I have seen the same based on my small sample size.
Hey thanks for the reply.....

About 200g DME
Dr Rudi hops( NZ hop).......So prob not a high enough SG as you state......Next time im gonna boil all my fermentables including the nasty tin goop.
And try to load up on more hops might try 30@60mins,30@30mins and another [email protected] dry hop with the last 10 from a 100g packet..

Dr Rudi aka Super Alpha 10 to 12% (says my local friendly search engine)
That hop schedule with those hops (twp posts up) will be fekkin horrid.

indica86 said:
Dr Rudi aka Super Alpha 10 to 12% (says my local friendly search engine)
That hop schedule with those hops (twp posts up) will be fekkin horrid.
Hahahaha ok so where do I go from here I dont mind buying extra hops etc.....I have a good supply.....Dr Rudi here on the packet states 13.5%.....So I got no idea where my hops went in the last boil all that i can think of is i poured it through a cheese cloth into the fermenter to filter the hop "paste"....Im drinking it now and i can confirm no hop profile at all.....I am using "lager" malts and light DME maybe thats where im going wrong??

Im looking for a recipie using a tin of goop and DME and dex plus hops?.......If this is possible.

I have full temp controll and keg..(why am I no going all grain hehehehehe)

Yes it is possible.
If you like hoppy beers, go the Coopers Pale as a base and jump in from there.
Searching this very forum will help a lot.
In the recipe section Dr Smurto's Golden Ale has an extra / kit based version and is something great to work from.
Coopers.com.au also have a load of recipes that are a great way to learn and to start using some specialty grains.

Amarillo will work as a 5 minute boil with the Euro but preferabble to stick to the German Nobles,,Hallertau, tett, Hersbrucker, Saaz.
Galaxy does work nice with a lager/pilsener...about 15 gms for 5 minutes boiled with 200gm LDM in 2 litres water and added to your fermenter...not strained. The hops will impart a little extra aroma if left in the fermenter. Does give that 'modern' take the pissant winery brewers keep coming up with.

If you want the best from the Amarillo get a Coopers Pale Ale tin, 1kg LDM and do a 15gm boil at 15 and 5 minutes then dry hop 30 gm at day 5. mmmm, flavour country.

Latest posts

Back