About to make My first attempt at hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VR4king, if you're looking for flavour/aroma, I would not be boiling hops any longer than say, 15 minutes. Do a 15, 5 and 0 addition with those numbers ( 30g) each, plus dry hop the last 10g. If that doesn't do it i don't know what will!

thanks heaps guys i got lots to work off now........right of to the supply shop i go

Well, this escalated quickly!
bit of a step up from what I was planning.

So it went like this:
1xcan of Coopers euro lager
750g Dex
250g Malted barley
250g corn syrup

10min simmer with Brewers Choice Pilsner grain pack
10 min boil with 15g hallertau
10min steep with 15g saaz
US05 starter pitched at 26Degc

SG 1044

and the waiting begins.......

J'sGarage said:
Well, this escalated quickly!
bit of a step up from what I was planning.

So it went like this:
1xcan of Coopers euro lager
750g Dex
250g Malted barley
250g corn syrup

10 min boil with 15g hallertau
10min steep with 15g saaz
US05 starter pitched at 26Degc

SG 1044

and the waiting begins.......
when you say 'simmer...grain pack'.... I hope you don't mean you simmered grain for 10 minutes.

Why have you boiled hallertau but steeped saaz
and what did you boil and/or steep in.

Sounds like you have incorporated a lot of different methods when you only needed one.

J'sGarage said:
Simmer with grain pack? The Brewers Choice pilsner grain pack is a good one for any light coloured beer, I use it often myself. It's just 250g of cracked carapils grain but did you simmer it for ten minutes or did you mean you steeped it?

If you simmered it as part of your boil I'm not sure how that will affect your beer... do you know how much water you used or how hot the water was? If I understand you right, you might find that you have a fair amount of harsh tasting tannins in there sir...

EDIT: You beat me to the punch Yum...

Yeah, I steeped the grain, then strained off the liquid and binned the grain. Simmer was done with the remaining liquid and hallertau in. And then took it off the heat and threw the saaz in for 10.
All this was done in a stainless saucepan, then transferred to the fermenter and added the can o goo.
Followed a recipe for Heineken.

No dry hopping, I don't like the idea of things floating around in my kegs.

me gone slightly the other way with quantities - i used a recipe on my first hops attempt that said 30g, so i put 20g to not overdo it, and it still reeked hop and nothing else after brew. (that were cascade hops, not POR). so now i go more conservative - around 5gm hops on a first try - i can always bump it up on a later batch, and the first 5gm attempt will give a good indication as to what should work best next time. and maybe 5gm is all you need to get a subtle wafting on the palate.

All good J.
Process is fine and should give you a decent beer, the euro kit isn't too bad.
Don't know what the US-05 will bring though.
Would be worth trying the same brew with the lager yeast when you get temp control.

Did the Coopers euro lager with 10 grams of German magnum did a partial stove top mash with one and half kilo of Pilsner Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) and half a kilo of rice .Boiled the hops for 60 min after using 12 liters of water to batch sparge the grain .with hot water.Worth having a try at grain did one lot in a pressure cooker and put the pressure cooker with lid on in an esky wrapped up when it cools reheat to temperature and put back again in esky .To sparge used a paint strainer bag in a colander and poured the grain into it

J'sGarage said:
No dry hopping, I don't like the idea of things floating around in my kegs.
Dry hop into your fermenter after about 7 days.
You won't have any issues with floating things in kegs.

I have temp control, but im currently using that fridge for the kegs,(looking for a chest freezer for keg duties), I used the US-05 due to it working at higher temps for this reason.

Gravity check last night gave 1.014 can't be far off now :)

Well I ended up doing a 30min boil with some unhopped DME
Using Dr Rudi 20g@30 and another 20g@15

BUT and I think I may stuffed up here.......I didnt pour it through a filter I just dumped it straight into the FV wwith a tin of goop and another 1kg dex....
Day three of ferment and it smells horrid like your typical nasty first brew hahahahaha

As Im away for awhile end of this week I plan on adding some finnings in a few days then just before I go away for the weekend ill cold crash it on Friday for 3 days........Hope it works

Please others post up how well you get on.........I'm beggining to think my pallet is immune to hops now. Or I'm being sold poor hops

OK, so its in the keg and charged up. First pour came out perfect. About 3/4 inch of head, and retention is a little lower than I'd like, but passable.

Clarity is low, I would imagine due to the ale yeast
Aroma is amazing, resembling tinned peaches in syrup( to my nose, at least)
Flavour..... I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. But I like it. I like it a lot.

Interesting development, all the flavours/aromas that I found (and tbh quite liked) have dissapeared and the brew now tastes rather close(considering the ale yeast change I made) to heineken. Much dissapoint.

J'sGarage said:
Interesting development, all the flavours/aromas that I found (and tbh quite liked) have dissapeared and the brew now tastes rather close(considering the ale yeast change I made) to heineken. Much dissapoint.
Probably could have done with a bit more hops( the Saaz steep), and some dry hopping. Hops aroma's tend to dissipate over time, So if you add a bit more it will be stronger initally( the hops flavour./aroma) but will mellow and/hang around for longer. I'm biased as I love hops so If it was mine, I would have steeped 20-25g Saaz minimum, and dry hop with 25g at least. I guess the point is you've learned from first had experience( the best type!) that you would like more of that flavour next time around, and that's what beer brewing is all about, the learning(and drinking!)

Mines carbing now in keg..........a few more days and I might sneak a pint to see how it is.......Looking at BIAB now to try and get a better system to try and refine my brews a bit more.

Stuff it I pulled a pint(In keg for 5 days at 12psi)........Its GOOD bit bitter but I know there is hops there as in sneezing the same as I do while making the brew hahahahahaha......If it gets better with age it will be cracker.....Bitter lager type.

Back