Abinbev To Buy Sabmiller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felten

Homebrew Conjecturist
Reaction score
I just saw this linked on TBN forums, and haven't heard about it before, so I figured I'd reshare it here.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/26/...E78P2TK20110926

(Reuters) - In a global brewing industry marked by huge consolidation over the last decade, bankers are hopeful of an $80 billion plus deal to end all deals between the industry's two giants, Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI.BR) and SABMiller (SAB.L).

Pale fizzy lager for everyone!~

so this is how sky net starts.

AB InBev's Brito is said to like the high-margin Australian beer market and although a Foster's deal will add to the cost of an eventual SABMiller takeover, it would give a combined group an even wider spread of the world's beer market.

It's a high-margin because they won't drop the price - they'll just drop the ingredients instead, or charge high prices for the *imported* (locally brewed) international brands.

Once Inbev owns every brewery in the world it will begin eliminating it's only potential competition. The home brewer.

fk that. what would you do if you were driven back, by law, to megaswill?

Form a secret resistance society. And steal their kegs.

You'd end up with a situation where the government would tax even more on the big breweries (in the national interest, of course) and use it to fund the microbrewery tax cut and see if some smaller breweries can come up and fill the void taxation wise.

Ironically, if I am right (not saying I am), a super-conglomerate might be the best thing to happen to beer in this country. By shipping Fosters off-shore, all sentiment ceases to exist, and locally owned breweries might actually get a fair go.

The other thing is that a giant company like this has many sub-companies. For it to be able to operate in Australia, I daresay that the ACCC will require that they operate independently - a bit like they did with Wesfarmers' takeover of Coles.

Ironically, if I am right (not saying I am), a super-conglomerate might be the best thing to happen to beer in this country. By shipping Fosters off-shore, all sentiment ceases to exist, and locally owned breweries might actually get a fair go.

I agree, in principle, that this may have an affect, hopefully at the taxation level.
But on the personal scale, the average uneducated beer drinker won't be aware that VB et al is no longer Australian. XXXX Gold is still selling strong even though they're owned by the Japanese. ABinbev/SABmiller wll certainly be going out of their way to keep the foreign ownership under wraps... look out for ultra yobbo marketing campaigns to counteract any potential anti-foreign ownership sentiment.

They own a couple of decent brands worldwide so it may not be all bad. Leffe and hoegaarden are two that spring immediately to mind.

Besides pilsner urquell, are there any decent sab miller brands?

Latest posts

Back