A little help please with wiring up a PID

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queensland Consolidated Acts

[Index]
[Search] [Search this Act] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]
ELECTRICAL SAFETY ACT 2002 - SECT 40B

40B Reckless conduct—category 1
(1) A person commits a category 1 offence if—

(a) the person has an electrical safety duty; and
(b ) the person, without reasonable excuse, engages in conduct that exposes an individual to whom that duty is owed to a risk of death or serious injury or illness; and
(c ) the person is reckless as to the risk to an individual of death or serious injury or illness.
Maximum penalty—

(a) for an offence committed by an individual, other than as a person conducting a business or undertaking or as an officer of a person conducting a business or undertaking—3000 penalty units or 5 years imprisonment; or
(b ) for an offence committed by an individual as a person conducting a business or undertaking or as an officer of a person conducting a business or undertaking—6000 penalty units or 5 years imprisonment; or
(c ) for an offence committed by a body corporate—30,000 penalty units.
(2) The prosecution bears the burden of proving that the conduct was engaged in without reasonable excuse.

(3) A category 1 offence is a crime.

[Index]
ELECTRICAL SAFETY ACT 2002 - SECT 36

36 Duty of installer of electrical equipment or electrical installation
(1) This section applies to a person (the installer) who installs electrical equipment or an electrical installation.

(2) The installer must ensure that—

(a) the way the electrical equipment or installation is installed is electrically safe; and
(b ) the processes followed for installing the electrical equipment or installation ensure that, when installed, it will be electrically safe; and
(c ) after the electrical equipment or installation is installed, the person tests and examines it to ensure it is electrically safe.

And to address Camo's point

[Index]
ELECTRICAL SAFETY ACT 2002 - SECT 55

55 Requirement for electrical work licence
(1) A person must not perform or supervise electrical work unless—

(a) the person is the holder of an electrical work licence in force under this Act; and
(b ) the licence authorises the person to perform the work.
Maximum penalty—400 penalty units.

(2) Only an individual may be the holder of an electrical work licence.

(3) A person is not required under subsection (1) to hold an electrical work licence for the purpose of the following—

(a) performance or supervision of electrical work for the purpose of installing or repairing telecommunications cabling;
(b ) performance or supervision of electrical work in practising the person's profession as an electrical engineer;
(c ) performance or supervision of remote rural installation work;
(d) performance or supervision of electrical work as part of the testing of electrical equipment that the person is authorised to do under a regulation;
(e) performance, as an apprentice, of electrical work in a calling that requires the apprentice to perform electrical work;
(f) performance, as a trainee, of electrical work in a calling that requires the trainee to perform electrical work of a type prescribed under a regulation;
(g) performance, as a student, of electrical work as part of training under the supervision of teaching staff at—
a university; or
a college, school or similar institution conducted or approved by a department of the State or of the Commonwealth.

Derrick, it is probable you are not licensed to help George.

The reality is that there are DIY PID installations almost daily and I'm sure that with your help George will end up with something.

George, Electrical engineering is my profession and I love it. Frustration is overcome by knowledge and understanding.

I still hope you buy a low energy power supply (like the one I sent you the link to) and play safely.

Think of it as playing with a mouse, if you do something wrong you might get a tiny scratch.

If you continue with this 230V endeavour, you're playing with a wild dog and if you do something wrong you're getting the teeth.

Be safe mate, I really want to learn how to make mead.

I just bought a two super hive.

And clearly your mead is effective. Derrick lost his grounding for a while there...Or did I mean parallel fault current return path???

(I'll be adding a conductor to my SSR heatsink !)

And with that, my dog has decided to give no more electrical advice to George (who didn't actually thank my dog for fixing his electrical drawing.. Not even a schmako) .

There are points in your 'neighbours' replies that are just bad practice when it comes to electrical design and I can't be bothered typing for my dog any more

I have an English barleywine that will be bottled in about two weeks. I'd like to thank your dog for his correct drawing by sending him one?

It should be nice in a few months when he has recovered from his hangover.
PM me the address of your dog's kennel.

Nice references Cosdog. They should be made a sticky in the DIY sub forum.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, thanks for playing everyone.

If there's one thing we've learnt about electrical DIY on a beer forum it's this:

Ask your questions via PM. Hahaha!

SBOB said:
And with that, my dog has decided to give no more electrical advice to George (who didn't actually thank my dog for fixing his electrical drawing.. Not even a schmako) .

There are points in your 'neighbours' replies that are just bad practice when it comes to electrical design and I can't be bothered typing for my dog any more
Confirmation: Avatar checks out.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I have an English barleywine that will be bottled in about two weeks. I'd like to thank your dog for his correct drawing by sending him one?

It should be nice in a few months when he has recovered from his hangover.
PM me the address of your dog's kennel.
my dog thanks you ;)

Interesting reading, in a much simplified circuit not being 100% familiar with the inkbird but in relation to the mentioned contactor. Other than the initial on/start up switch could you use the pid as the switch through a contactor to the element instead of the SSR.

The PID cycles the element too frequently to employ a mechanical contactor. Premature failure of the contactor would be an issue I'd think.

Thanks for speedy reply was just about to scratch/answer my own question after further researching my ponderings

Hi All,

Update change of plans, I how will be copying the http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ design.

Just with small changes, needs to be 240v rating and along with three elements and three pumps also with a Voltage Regulator Dimmer to each pump so I can control the speed and on the the boiler element this will help to prevent boil over

The panel will be build in a PC case, My German friend will not be supervisioning, I will build it to spec than hand it over to a qualified electrician for testing.

You're probably all ready on to it George, but be sure to read the 240V section in the Electric Brewery Forum. Oh, and stop feeding Derrick that mead. It brings out the German in him...

Update

Getting close to building my electric brew panel.

It is only going to have 2200w elements, one in boiler one in the RIMS tube and the other in the HTL. one element will be on at any one time.

There will be three pumps along with 4000W 240V AC SCR Voltage Regulator Dimmer Electric Motor Speed Controller to each pump and one to the boiler element.

I have most parts now just waiting on these ones to come through the post

Three Green Pilot lights
Three Yellow Pilot lights
Two Supply Transformer
Six 3 Pin Plug Round Socket Power Adapter

It will be built in Full PC Case where the PC fans will come in to play, plus future upgrades by using the USB's to connect to a laptop

This is based on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

index3 - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back