A Good Spirit To Try?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
So, i'm primarily a beer drinker. However, i'm pretty keen to hit the bottlo with a bit of cash i've come across and i'd like to branch out a bit and try a spirit of some sort. Have no idea about spirits at all, so i'm looking for advice! Dont really want something that just tastes like petrol. As i said i've no idea what to look for- maybe a Whisky or scotch or something... And as i dont appreciate great spirits probably not super expensive too... So i'm after something flavourful, easyish to drink, readily available and not heaps expensive. Any suggestions?

Something smooth; if your going for pre-mix try Canadian Club, it's a whiskey and cola but very smooth. If your going for mix at home try a simple bourbon like Jim Beam, fill it with ice then top with coca cola. If you dislike coke try something like rum and ginger beer.

However horses for courses. Everyone likes different tastes.

Yeah- no doubt thats true (everyone is going to like different things). Think i'll avoid premixes. Preferably i'd probably look to drink it neat so appreciate the flavours the most. See how i go though...

A nice Jamacian Rum like Angostura 1919 (12 years) or the 1824 (8 years) is quiet nice on the rocks.

Cheers

You could start with a decent, consistent, smooth and easy drinking single malt. I would consider glenlivet 12, glenmorangie 10 (original), Bruichladdich 10, Dalwhinnie 15, Glenfarclas 8 or 12, or Glen Moray (classic or 12).

Depends what you mean by super expensive - all of these are under 100 and most can be found at Dan's or Vintage cellars for between 50 and 70. Glenlivet 12 can be found in safeways for less and glen moray is quite cheap at Dan's.

Enjoying whisky has a lot to do with how you drink it. The flavours are strong and complex - it's not a gin and tonic so enjoying the aroma first and taking small, sips second is crucial to enjoyment.

No ice.

Chartreuse green.

chartreuse_green.jpg

:icon_vomit: too many when i was younger... intense stuff. Mates and I used to have one for each year on our birthdays. I know some people drink it neat or with ice... but there's no way i could come within 10feet of the stuff.

edit: oh man it gives me a head ache just looking at the pic

Islay Peated Scotch.

Smokey and yum.

Drink with ice. A little melted ice brings out the flavours best.

Goomba

I love islays (especially Lagavulin and Ardbeg) but can't see any besides bruichladdich being good for newbies to scotch.

I definitely don't see ice as being a good addition either - generally recommended against. If anything, a few drops of spring water is the usual recommendation but there's very few whiskies I notice a difference after adding a touch of water to.

Good thread on SM (the whisky type) here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=36986&hl=

OP: Macallan 12 is also great - around $80-90 though. We really need a budget figure.

Alternatively Grey Goose, Belvedere or Zubrowka are great vodkas - again, neat and sip

I can really recommend Appleton 10 year Jamaican Rum. or the 12 year if you can afford it. Beautiful, smooth, rich - I could drink it straight all night. A very good beginner whiskey is Bushmills 10 or 12 year old. lovely smooth flavour without that heavy-duty alcohol kick you get from a lot of whiskeys. It has nice vanilla and spice notes and is good to drink straight or rocks. Glenmorangie 10yr is very good too, with a bit more smoked honey accent than the bushmills.

I'm also a fan of Southern Comfort, Wild Turkey or Jagermeister when I'm in a sweet tooth mood.

Cheers - Snow.

Alternatively Grey Goose, Belvedere or Zubrowka are great vodkas - again, neat and sip

Zubrowka is great when topped up with Apple Juice. Get the whole apple pie type taste going on...NYE 07 in Krakow...ahh the memories...or at least what remains of them...

Patron tequila, will let you know what tequila is all about. I'm not sure what it costs as i've never had to buy a bottle but its the bomb.

Got to say Manticle is a man of great taste. A single malt is a brilliant accompaniment for a good beer. Got to say I love Islay malts but they are not for everybody. I might add 15 year Glenfiddich is a great smooth drinking whisky and a Gold Medal winner and compliments a good malty beer.

A pint and a nip way to go.

edit: it drinks extremely well neat but a bit of of cold spring water does it no great harm

I used to be a big fan of bourbon when I was younger, not a fan of scotch whisky, bourbon is a lot smoother (at least the brands I've tried). I was cheap and just wanted to get smashed though so I mostly bought JB black label, but there's probably better examples out there, makers mark is one of the cheaper ones I can think of.

Gin and Tonic

My favorite is Hendricks with a slice of peeled cucumber and at least use Schweppes tonic Water. Given that you like beer and bitterness you will love the bitterness of gin and tonic.

I dont drink spirits at the best of times but I will have a few GnT's a week.

Fil

Wow, thanks for all the info!

Price range i think anything up to about $70ish per bottle. A very good idea to try at the Wheaty- that was my plan. Glenfiddich any good? I think the 12 year isnt too expensive.

Maticle- might write down your list and take it to dan murphys or somewhere and see what i can find!

thanks again.

Glenfiddich 12 is easy to drink but the blandest of the single malts in my opinion.

There are better SMs for the same price or less. The idea of trying a few glasses before springing for a bottle is a good one.

+ 1 to this.

I personaly would stay away from the Islays to begin with or perhaps see if you can try a friends before you buy. Because if you don't like that peat flavour you wont enjoy it.

Definately recommend any Macallen you can find or Glenmorange. I have a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban right now and it is awesome. :icon_drool2:

Cheers
Brad
I love islays (especially Lagavulin and Ardbeg) but can't see any besides bruichladdich being good for newbies to scotch.

I definitely don't see ice as being a good addition either - generally recommended against. If anything, a few drops of spring water is the usual recommendation but there's very few whiskies I notice a difference after adding a touch of water to.

Good thread on SM (the whisky type) here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=36986&hl=

OP: Macallan 12 is also great - around $80-90 though. We really need a budget figure.

Back