A Good Spirit To Try?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: Classic, bet the bride was pleased with that.

Cheers

Yeah.. she wasnt too bad, it was the shitty motel owner who stormed out and shut all the lights out at 1am, whinging something about being too noisy... i think... lol

From what people have said, i might go with either Chivas or Tullamore

And i like the sounds of Cragganmore, but its around $70, so might wait till i appreciate it.

I remember when i was younger and tried Chivas Regal i thought it was great. Now that i have learnt to appreciate the fine flavours of good whiskey........ It actually tastes ordinary..... ish. Its not bad but a good irish whiskey will beat it hands down in my book.

Get the TD 12 year, its great.

Cragganmore is a very nice single malt but its a bit plain. It has a nice caramel note but spend your money on something with a bit more character if you get to single malts.

cheers

and if you want to buy me something for xmas...... i will have one of these please!

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4263.aspx

To all reading this........ Port Ellen is the Phase III GTHO Falcon of Single malts. Bottle prices are climbing fast as the distillery closed in 1983.

If you ever see a bottle of Port Ellen...... buy it no mater the cost and hide it on its side for 20 years....... it will be worth a lot more then!

I have 3 bottles, cost me about $800 for the 3 of them, one is open and god its devine stuff.

The other 2 are put away to open at daughters wedings in years to come...... bugger the cost :)

saw that DMs have Arbelour for about $50, so might go that, otherwise i;ll go with your suggestion of the TD tony. cheers

I hear ya about the 151! My brother and i sat down on the night after my wedding and we drank a bottle of it... and thats after a carton of dirty miller beers.... nasty stuff...

Hah. I couldn't imagine drinking anything else before 151, that alone did me for the night. Mind you I'm a pretty small guy build wise, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to drink any more than a couple of shots, you're just asking for trouble otherwise. 151 is for people with an acquired taste..or no taste. I'd say the latter. There are too many great flavorsome drinks to waste it on something like that.

--
All these DM prices are ridiculous. Wish we had one here, even just for the beer selection, beats the hell out of the mainstream beers the stores stock here. Although they are expanding out a little bit with their beers.

I remember when i was younger and tried Chivas Regal i thought it was great. Now that i have learnt to appreciate the fine flavours of good whiskey........ It actually tastes ordinary.....

Agreed. Chivas Regal would have to be one of the most overhyped whisky's out there. Reminds me of Crown Lager, all pretty and showy on the outside, enticing people to buy it thinking theyre classy, when the contents inside are dull & bland.

Stef, just buy something will ya. Your hand has been held enough I think. Its not some life changing event to spend a hundred bucks on a bottle of grog. I think you have also missed the overwhelming message here with scotch. SINGLE MALT are the magic words.

Absinthe (Bluehouse Recipe)

1.5 oz Wormwood
1/3 oz Hyssop
1/3 oz Calamus Root
1/8 oz Fennel Seed
1 tsp Mint *
1 tsp cloves *
1 tsp coriander *
1/2 tsp Nutmeg *
2 Star Ansise fruits*

First, Grind the Fennel Seeds, Coriander, and Cloves with a mortar and pestle.

Mix with the rest of the dry ingredients (wormwood, hyssop, calamus, and mint) and pour them into an airtight container. Mix with a bottle of Everclear (750ml, 190 proof). Actually, if you want to end up with a full 750ml of Absinthe, you'll need to use about 1000ml of Everclear in order to compensate for the alcohol that is irrevocably lost to absorption by the mash. You should allow mix to steep for at least two weeks, but I usually allow for 1-2 months. This is most likely overkill, but I dont drink absinthe on a regular basis so Im not generally in a big hurry to finish my next batch.

At the end of the two weeks, strain the liquid through a thin cloth (muslin or a handkerchief) to remove the solid matter.

Now Add:

1/2 Dropper full of Wormwood Essential Oil.*
1/3 - 2/3 Bottle of Anise Extract (To taste)
1 tsp Mint Extract *
2-10 shots Ouzo* (To taste)

Prepare to meet the green fairy! :icon_drunk:

Absinthe (Bluehouse Recipe)

1.5 oz Wormwood
1/3 oz Hyssop
1/3 oz Calamus Root
1/8 oz Fennel Seed
1 tsp Mint *
1 tsp cloves *
1 tsp coriander *
1/2 tsp Nutmeg *
2 Star Ansise fruits*

First, Grind the Fennel Seeds, Coriander, and Cloves with a mortar and pestle.

Mix with the rest of the dry ingredients (wormwood, hyssop, calamus, and mint) and pour them into an airtight container. Mix with a bottle of Everclear (750ml, 190 proof). Actually, if you want to end up with a full 750ml of Absinthe, you'll need to use about 1000ml of Everclear in order to compensate for the alcohol that is irrevocably lost to absorption by the mash. You should allow mix to steep for at least two weeks, but I usually allow for 1-2 months. This is most likely overkill, but I dont drink absinthe on a regular basis so Im not generally in a big hurry to finish my next batch.

At the end of the two weeks, strain the liquid through a thin cloth (muslin or a handkerchief) to remove the solid matter.

Now Add:

1/2 Dropper full of Wormwood Essential Oil.*
1/3 - 2/3 Bottle of Anise Extract (To taste)
1 tsp Mint Extract *
2-10 shots Ouzo* (To taste)

Prepare to meet the green fairy! :icon_drunk:

Sorry, fun police here...

And if you read a little further down... Too much wormwood and you're going to die! We see cases of this every year.

If you're going Absinthe, buy a bottle. The professional green fairy is far more friendly than the one you make at home :wub:

Yeah, but are there 'ordinary' tasting single malts?

Absolutely agreed. But FFS after four pages of advice on what decent spirits to try his hand at, he wants to go ahead and buy a bottle of Chivas or Tullamore Dew anyway? Give me a break.

You have to start somewhere Ted. You can't be expected to know how good a whisky is until you have tried an average one as well. My recommendation of Jameson was from me drinking that as a *cough* 18 year old, and realising that whisky did not have to taste like the rubbish my mates were drinking.

I reckon OP will be better sticking a toe in the whisky rather than getting something expensive, which they might not be ready for.

If anyone feels like it, they can provide a practical demonstration of the finer points of good whisky to me, I will provide chairs, glasses, ice and senses. I am especially receptive if someone wants to show me how much better Lagavulin 16 is than Jameson. Edit: No, I think a 21 would better demonstrate the point.

Chivas is very ordinary. It's a cash up ignorance drink (like Crown, anything with the label "premium" on it, Johnny Walker Black Label, etc).

I found I prefer Irish Whiskey, though my missus one anniversary bought me a bottle of Jamieson's 12 YO and Glenfiddich 12 YO. I found the Jamo 12YO to be worse than the regular 8 year old stuff. No flavour, tasted like metho. Never touched it again. Glenfiddich is fine for the price, I think she paid about $40, so it's still pretty cheap.

If you go for cheap whiskey Jameson's is one of the best. Otherwise, you shouldn't part with less than $50, even at Dan's. Just going there to look is brilliant fun.

Goomba

Latest posts

Back