A Good Spirit To Try?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I got into scotch I was into Cointreau. I still have a bottle in stock always.
Cointreau on ice is just outstanding.
Come to think of it, I love it more than scotch, but as there's only one cointreau and thousands of scotches & whiskeys, it's fun to experiment with them all.
My latest bottle is Bowmore.

Maybe a single malt could be a waste on a beginners palate? A bottle of Chivas Regal instead? That's a nice drop IMO.

jeez, I know that stuff well too Incider, way back when we used go on day rides up to Wollombi to sit in the pub and down a few with some very nice scenery.

It's a great joint isn't it! I remember discovering it in Orange when at boarding school (Co-Ed before anyone says 'that explains a lot') and I necked a bottle after some wonderful Chateau Tanundra Brandy....it 'un-necked' some time later in many hues of red and orange... :lol:

Suntory Yamasaki single malt scotch is a awesome drop, so is Glenfarclas cask strength.

for the toffee/caramel thing captain morgans spiced rum (the gold one) would do you well. not a pricey bottle, but it is tasty. drink with a few chunks of ice.

otherwise, get into some single malts. Have fun!

sim

One of my mates also suggested that i try Makers Mark. Though its a bourbon he said its a good place to start...

If you really want to take your tastebuds for a ride...

4443410224_e76b54e308.jpg
GOT A HEADACHE LOOKING AT IT!!!!

Any of the STROH rums from Austria with a handful of ice and a splash of coke,you can get it at "Scruffy Murpheys"not cheap around $80 a small bottle.I highly recommend it,otherwise any Rum made in the West Indies,or any of the Havana Club Products

Whisky, it's made from malt.

Bruichladdich is a smooth little drop that I found at liqorland which was around $75 from memory. Another bottle that felt like there wasn't enough in it when I got to the bottom of it was Ardberg, peaty but so subtle, a really beautiful whisky thats around $80-90. I found whisky through Chivas Regal, it's a simple whisky it wont hurt you like a paint stripper does.

Having a beer and a whisky together never hurts.

All good suggestions, well I think absolut is foul no offense, i cannot type Russian on this phone but I may get to photograph my Russian vodka for you if its not in storage, grey goose would be a smoother easy to find choice that doesnt burn like absolut.

I am a scotch man but the whole drinking experience is different to beer drinking. Drinking neat lets you seperate the quality from the crap so no mixers and im so-so on ice depending on drink in question and never watered down. Small amounts sipped slowly until the beggining of a buzz and then holding it there without going over is the way I approach it. Extended conversations over a lovely evening, outdoors pontificating on life is not to be missed- cigars optional to personal preferance.

She can be a hard mistress so treat her with respect and you'll enjoy yourself.

Save the crap for mixed drinks or yobbo guests.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

All good suggestions, well I think absolut is foul no offense, i cannot type Russian on this phone but I may get to photograph my Russian vodka for you if its not in storage, grey goose would be a smoother easy to find choice that doesnt burn like absolut.

I am a scotch man but the whole drinking experience is different to beer drinking. Drinking neat lets you seperate the quality from the crap so no mixers and im so-so on ice depending on drink in question and never watered down. Small amounts sipped slowly until the beggining of a buzz and then holding it there without going over is the way I approach it. Extended conversations over a lovely evening, outdoors pontificating on life is not to be missed- cigars optional to personal preferance.

She can be a hard mistress so treat her with respect and you'll enjoy yourself.

Save the crap for mixed drinks or yobbo guests.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

It was my understanding taste buds are killed by anything >20% ABV. IMO you won't taste anything neat for very long... or probably it is better to say, in all likelihood you will lose the subtleties of flavour very quickly.
I like a bit of cool water with a good scotch or rum. IMO I can taste the peat, smokiness, malts, sweetness and such subtleties without getting punched around by high Alc%. I wouldn't disrespect it by adding coke. If I had a run of the mill scotch or rum I'd mix it with ginger ale/beer.

My absolute favourite spirit is Pernod and water. If you like aniseed (Ouzo, Sambucca etc) this is the smoothest of the lot. Ricard is slightly spicier than Pernod (same company makes them both though!).

I too like Chartreuse (neat) but I know it is like stepping into the ring with a prize fighter whilst wearing a blindfold if I disrespect it, things get silly quickly.

I never skull, always sip and enjoy.

Just my useless 2c.

Malted,

Agree, mine is covered in the ice addition. You get a continual dilution depending on how slow you sip but the solution to too much for personaj taste is more scotch which is good for me :). Only water additions I do as normal par for course is middle eastern Arak.

I used to try a different bottle of bourbon each weekend with a couple mates, we would all put in, split the costs and the bottle. Was fun to get to the weekend and go shopping for our next bottle. Too bad our shop didn't have a whole lot there. I'm not so much into spirits anymore after a few stupid nights heh.

I would say a couple good places to start (that aren't overly expensive) are Makers Mark and Blanton's Special Reserve. But everyone has their own tastes as said before, so to some these may be the worst of the worst, but you never know til you try I guess.

Chartreuse green.

This brings back bad memories of a night a year or two back.
3 ABC Shots (Absinthe, Bacardi 151, Chartreuse)
3 straight Bacardi 151 shots (1 of the flaming)

151 is kind of like drinking a mix of petrol and metho, and it burns all the way down. It turned a full can of coke into shite with not even a full shot of it :(

I will never go near that again. Ended up in hospital that night with a perforated ear drum.

A reminder of why drinking to get smashed isn't something I do anymore. I prefer to enjoy a nice beer and experience the flavours.

ok, called past the bottlo before just for a browse...

My possible options-

Makers mark burbon
Tullamore Dew
Chivas Regal 12 year
Glenlivit 12 year

The Tullamore was about $35, the others roughly $50 at my local... From what people have said, i might go with either Chivas or Tullamore

And i like the sounds of Cragganmore, but its around $70, so might wait till i appreciate it.

Couldnt find Macallan 12 or Glenfarclas (at 1st choice) but i might go to DMs later.

I used to try a different bottle of bourbon each weekend with a couple mates, we would all put in, split the costs and the bottle. Was fun to get to the weekend and go shopping for our next bottle. Too bad our shop didn't have a whole lot there. I'm not so much into spirits anymore after a few stupid nights heh.

I would say a couple good places to start (that aren't overly expensive) are Makers Mark and Blanton's Special Reserve. But everyone has their own tastes as said before, so to some these may be the worst of the worst, but you never know til you try I guess.

This brings back bad memories of a night a year or two back.
3 ABC Shots (Absinthe, Bacardi 151, Chartreuse)
3 straight Bacardi 151 shots (1 of the flaming)

151 is kind of like drinking a mix of petrol and metho, and it burns all the way down. It turned a full can of coke into shite with not even a full shot of it :(

I will never go near that again. Ended up in hospital that night with a perforated ear drum.

A reminder of why drinking to get smashed isn't something I do anymore. I prefer to enjoy a nice beer and experience the flavours.

I hear ya about the 151! My brother and i sat down on the night after my wedding and we drank a bottle of it... and thats after a carton of dirty miller beers.... nasty stuff...

I hear ya about the 151! My brother and i sat down on the night after my wedding and we drank a bottle of it... and thats after a carton of dirty miller beers.... nasty stuff...

:lol: Classic, bet the bride was pleased with that.

Cheers

My personal opinion would be to leave the cragganmore. I grabbed a bottle of this a few years back and wasn't overly impressed with it for its price.

Glenlivet 12 YO is nice but pretty bland but probably a great place to start given your selection.

Cheers
Brad

ok, called past the bottlo before just for a browse...

My possible options-

Makers mark burbon
Tullamore Dew
Chivas Regal 12 year
Glenlivit 12 year

The Tullamore was about $35, the others roughly $50 at my local... From what people have said, i might go with either Chivas or Tullamore

And i like the sounds of Cragganmore, but its around $70, so might wait till i appreciate it.

Couldnt find Macallan 12 or Glenfarclas (at 1st choice) but i might go to DMs later.

Latest posts

Back