A Fair Go For Craft Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin O'Neill from Snowy Mountains Brewery says that regulation is "`killing"' the market.

an interesting read from back in May 08 here

True, but my point is that if the micro needs to hire staff, get equipment, etc... then they either need to get the money out of the excise or up the price of the beer. So I guess by cheaper I mean 'cheaper than it would be if they passed further expenses onto you.' I can't see the micros saving money on excise and dropping the prices of their beers - these are people who are in it for the passion - they'll spend it to make better beers. I'll be right there to buy them.

The SA 'nearest location' being in Goolwa (100km from Adelaide) is a bit of a stretch. Hopefully someone else a bit closer gets one going.

I agree, I think it's much better that the money stays with the brewers rather than the government. I think that's what a lot of megaswill drinkers would think though...surely it would make it cheaper.

good job guys... stick it to the man.

Im personally happy to pay more for good beer, it makes me feel less common.

great work reVox. will get over to moobrew soon and sign up (might pick up some beer too while im there ;) )
joe

Hi All - this is Paul from Holgate Brewhouse and I am mighty impressed with the enthusiasm the AHB members have shown for the microbrewers excise tax relief campaign - Fair Go Craft Beer. Thanks heaps for all the posts and joing our fight! I've been visitnig Canberra and talking with all the pollies for some years now, together with Cam from Goat. It's a hard slog, but we're getting there. We went to canberra in early Nov, and the Petition campaign is part of the process of creating as much NOISE about this issue as possbile prior to the next budget.....ie we want to table the petition in Feb, and we have organised a core group of MPs who are putting together a bi-partisan team of back-benchers to champion the cause and basically get into the ear of the Assisant Treasurer, Mr Chris Bowen.

There is no reason why craft beer should be treated differently than small wine....both are pre-dominately small, regional, family business sectors. So this is what we are gunning for...equality with the wine industry and highlighting that the micro brewing industry is on a knife-edge of success or failure and it should be supported. Most of the general public don't realise that most microbreweries are kept alive and keep operating out of the good-will and passion of the owners. These businesses are not only making a loss, but the owners are getting paid a fraction of the salary compared to what they would earn working for someone else. So why do micro's keep going ?? Passion for the product and the industry....but it can only take you so far, and only for so many years. Already in Vic this year 3 micros have closed down, and one has converted over to getting their beer contract brewed by a larger brewer.

UNder the current tax arrangements, a micro would start making a profit and being able to pay proper market salary's to owners and staff when they are producing in excess of 500,000 litres per annum. Roughly. While most of the small guys are operating in the 50,000 - 150,000 region.
Saving the excise tax and putting this money back into the business would mean the ability to hire - sales staff, 2nd brewer - put some money into marketing and promotion, perhaps buy equipment that will help quality control e.g. lab gear, micro gear, CO2 testing etc. And also pay owmers a bit more salary so they can survive and grow the business, and not have to keep thinking about how they are going to pay the next glass bill, or malt bill.

As some members have rightly pointed out, excise relief won't necessarily result in lower prices - 'cos we'd back to square one in the same position. But prices could come down a bit through market pressures and competition once new entrants come on line. Anyhow with the Government very sensitive about binge drinking, it would be silly to advocate beer prices coming down. And in fact we are actively using the slogan "Drink Less, Drink Better" to promote the image of the microbrewing scene at the opposite end of the spectrum to the alcopop market

Well that's about all from me, sorry for taking up so much of your space! - if anyone has any queries about the campaign or about the tax feel free to post it up or send me an e-mail. And keep up with the good fight
cheers from Holgate

Nice one ReVox!!!! I Joined the Fight last week, and, I'll get the petition in Oscar's Alehouse in Belgrave VIC when I open the doors on Wednesday.

Hi All - this is Paul from Holgate Brewhouse and I am mighty impressed with the enthusiasm the AHB members have shown for the microbrewers excise tax relief campaign - Fair Go Craft Beer. Thanks heaps for all the posts and joing our fight! I've been visitnig Canberra and talking with all the pollies for some years now, together with Cam from Goat. It's a hard slog, but we're getting there. We went to canberra in early Nov, and the Petition campaign is part of the process of creating as much NOISE about this issue as possbile prior to the next budget.....ie we want to table the petition in Feb, and we have organised a core group of MPs who are putting together a bi-partisan team of back-benchers to champion the cause and basically get into the ear of the Assisant Treasurer, Mr Chris Bowen.

There is no reason why craft beer should be treated differently than small wine....both are pre-dominately small, regional, family business sectors. So this is what we are gunning for...equality with the wine industry and highlighting that the micro brewing industry is on a knife-edge of success or failure and it should be supported. Most of the general public don't realise that most microbreweries are kept alive and keep operating out of the good-will and passion of the owners. These businesses are not only making a loss, but the owners are getting paid a fraction of the salary compared to what they would earn working for someone else. So why do micro's keep going ?? Passion for the product and the industry....but it can only take you so far, and only for so many years. Already in Vic this year 3 micros have closed down, and one has converted over to getting their beer contract brewed by a larger brewer.

UNder the current tax arrangements, a micro would start making a profit and being able to pay proper market salary's to owners and staff when they are producing in excess of 500,000 litres per annum. Roughly. While most of the small guys are operating in the 50,000 - 150,000 region.
Saving the excise tax and putting this money back into the business would mean the ability to hire - sales staff, 2nd brewer - put some money into marketing and promotion, perhaps buy equipment that will help quality control e.g. lab gear, micro gear, CO2 testing etc. And also pay owmers a bit more salary so they can survive and grow the business, and not have to keep thinking about how they are going to pay the next glass bill, or malt bill.

As some members have rightly pointed out, excise relief won't necessarily result in lower prices - 'cos we'd back to square one in the same position. But prices could come down a bit through market pressures and competition once new entrants come on line. Anyhow with the Government very sensitive about binge drinking, it would be silly to advocate beer prices coming down. And in fact we are actively using the slogan "Drink Less, Drink Better" to promote the image of the microbrewing scene at the opposite end of the spectrum to the alcopop market

Well that's about all from me, sorry for taking up so much of your space! - if anyone has any queries about the campaign or about the tax feel free to post it up or send me an e-mail. And keep up with the good fight
cheers from Holgate

Keep up the good fight Paul... and the good beers while you are at it :0)

brendo

This petition only seems to tackle the base rate, I would think it beneficial to tackle the higher rate of exise on bottles & 1/2 kegs, Half kegs are really important for slower moving less mainstream styles, and promote diversity in line with the theme of quality not quantity. Bottled beer could certainly do without the added excise, they've already got the extra costs in bottling.
BTW I have signed up, I just think it should go further than the base 25% excise

If anyone frequents Mrs. Parmas and wants to drop a petition on by, that'd be cool.. nudge nudge, wink wink
smartarse :) yeah i'lll drop in a petition today for you.

signed and emailed my local member as well

just a though, isnt there some sort of online petition that people could sign that cant get to one of of the places.. just trying to make it easier for more people to sign up...

politicians and ministerial staff are not the brightest bunch going round. last online petition i heard a Minister's office assessing flat out decided that is was rubbish as surely anyone probably just did the 'cut and paste thingy' and they couldnt be sure of the validity of the petition.

stupid i know. you can also have someone do 100 differant signatures and its no differance.

what was my point again?

This petition only seems to tackle the base rate, I would think it beneficial to tackle the higher rate of exise on bottles & 1/2 kegs, Half kegs are really important for slower moving less mainstream styles, and promote diversity in line with the theme of quality not quantity. Bottled beer could certainly do without the added excise, they've already got the extra costs in bottling.
BTW I have signed up, I just think it should go further than the base 25% excise

The excise definitely should be simplified. From what I've seen it is a complete mess.

I would suggest a simple calculation based upon alcohol levels, with the first X litres being at a reduced excise to encourage diversity by helping smaller brewers.

"GetUp" has proved to be a strong political forced and it sprung up from a grass roots online group.

Go the petition!! online or off. I'll sign down at Otway Estate this week and talk a few work collegues into doing like-wise. Power to the people :p

Not only did I drop off the petition @ Mrs Parmas, but I emailed them. Heres the response:

Sent: Tuesday, 9 December 2008 12:43:20 PM
To: citymorgue2

Yes Brett we are very interested in promoting the petition. Thanks for thinking of us and we will see you soon.
Cheers Melissa & Fiona

So another joint supporting the cause. And so they should, as microbrews are one of their key marketing pitches (and the main reason I go there).

just a though, isnt there some sort of online petition that people could sign that cant get to one of of the places.. just trying to make it easier for more people to sign up...

Hi Everyone,

Simon from Hargreaves Hill Brewing Co. here, also president of the Victorian Association of Microbrewers.

Thankyou all for you efforts towards this campaign which is gaining fantastic momentum at the moment. I am happy to answer any questions about the petition etc.

Online petitions are not accepted by the parliamentary petitions committee at this stage, so if you want to support the campaign, you will have to visit your local craft brewer - I know it sounds like hard work. We are also trying to get some craft beer oriented venues around the major cities to carry petitions also, and we will try and keep an up to date list at www.fairgocraftbeer.com.au. - thanks to citymorgue for visiting Mrs Parma's

Make sure you register on the site - look at the "Join the Fight" bit. We intend to send out regular updates about how it is all progressing. You will be in the know for any fairgocraftbeer events that will happen in the new year.

T shirt campaign to follow shortly...

Simon

I fully support the very precarious notion of this tax reform

FFS that website is really badly put together.
you have neglected to make the obvious fking comparisons, eg the small winerys tax rules, and the fact breweries are closing due to small profits.

The fact remains that these are not new tax rules that the industry is being crippled by, and you fail to therefore present an actual argument as to why the fking thing should be changed.

get a professional in this field to get a campaign together,

Yet another demonstration of why the industry needs a national peak body run by people who know what they are doing.

Back