A bloody disgrace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I foresee a sudden interest in antarctic baking, especially grandma's famous hop cake. The last ships before winter carry DME, hops and yeast.

Maybe Canberra is protecting sales and taxes.

Or maybe medical opinion is having an impact. I run across Australian doctors turned crusaders. Some are.convinced that all home brew is highly alcoholic. One told me my daily 500 mls amount to five standard drinks. In Australian measures it would have to be !0% abv. I've read where doctors cited US research or recommendation on consumption without noting that the US std drink is stronger, at 14 mls, not ten.

Another posted online that alcohol even in small amounts has been linked to cancer as strongly as smoking. No, He made a fundamental statistical error, confounding magnitude of apparent effect with statistical significance. Size of sample also affects the latter. One reason that so many stories about cancer causes are breaking these days is that very large longitudinal studies are coming of age. Always trace back from the headlines and look at the details.

A qualifier: by doctors I'm referring here to some practitioners, not medical researchers, who generally have rigorous standards of statistical methodology and interpretation.

For those who cant be bothered to read the article.
The ban is because they didn't want people drinking too much and then start getting handsy. Trying to maintain a professional environment without causing sexual harassment allegations. With beer purchased from the mega corps, it is a known % of alcohol. Easier for people to know how much they have drank.

Latest posts

Back