A Bitter Question ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
hi lads and GMK

well i have today dared to try my st pats irish amber and man it was bitter so what has happened.

it was a partial i did and the primary was fermented at 20 dg c and tasted very good at the end although was still very green the secondary was dry hopped with 2 P/Ringwood plugs supplied buy me old mate ken . secondary was 3 days at 20 dg c and then into the fridge for 12 days at 4 dg c after which was primed and then kegged and the rest was poured off into test bottels (long necks of course .after priming it still tasted nice and was quite sweet from the priming sugar mix .
now it has been just over a week and i was keen to try and so without further adoo i did and bam great colour ,clear ,plenty of carbonation for a week old beer nice creamy head , but was a bit on the bitter side and very hoppy .
my question is this will it mellow over a few months or is it going o be bitter untill the keg is gone i dont mind sitting on it for a while as i made it for winter BUT will the bittering mellow over time ?

thanks in advance delboy

I'm guessing that dry hopping with POR has probably got a lot to do with it. Why would you dry hop with POR?
Never having used it for dry hopping, I might be doing it a disservice - but to me POR should be left for bittering...

I think POR has a fairly astringent taste when used as a flavour/aroma hop, and 2 plugs is the equiv of 28 g which is quite a lot for a high AA hop IMHO, so it could be the mouth puckering astringency your experiencing. If this is the case age will mellow it out.

Cheers
Andrew

thank you andrew for the encouragement you answered my question as for why well GMK gave the to me and said to use them in the secondary .
i think i will never do that again . :(

as i am new to all this extra hopping ross i dont realy understand the concept as yet . <_<

but we learn quickly :)

del

delboy said:
thank you andrew for the encouragement you answered my question as for why well GMK gave the to me and said to use them in the secondary .
i think i will never do that again . :(

as i am new to all this extra hopping ross i dont realy understand the concept as yet . <_<

but we learn quickly :)

del
[post="96954"][/post]​

Are u sure if - memory serves me correctly - i have no POR Plugs...

I gave you East Kent Goldings Plugs.

But i have used POR for dry hopping before - in Aussie Ales - with good results - but then i am a hop head.

Will check tonight on the plugs.

The Bitterness will mellow in time.

Latest posts

Back