A 5 Star Element Changed My Life

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fylp

Reaction score
Hey All, been building new rig for a while and a big thanks for all the help opinions etc along the way - even if I just stalked your convo.

Went from the exploding keg King element to a 5 Star 3600w element. I looked at a few online calculators to see what an extra 1200w would do for my mash times, but this has blown my expectations out of the water. First step took 3 min to go 5 degrees. If it continues this way up to the boil I will cut so much time out my day.

Couldn't recommend one more.

Fylp

Fylp said:
Hey All, been building new rig for a while and a big thanks for all the help opinions etc along the way - even if I just stalked your convo.
Went from the exploding keg King element to a 5 Star 3600w element. I looked at a few online calculators to see what an extra 1200w would do for my mash times, but this has blown my expectations out of the water. First step took 3 min to go 5 degrees. If it continues this way up to the boil I will cut so much time out my day.
Couldn't recommend one more.
Fylp
Have to agree here.
I've got two of Mac's 2400W element & guard kits & it's quality gear.

Last weekend fired up my 5 stars (2400 & 3600) for the first time, coming from gas ...................... damn............... why didn't i do that a year ago!

We should get t shirts printed :lol:

I feel the same. I balked at the cost, but well worth it - I should add it is the most expensive single item I've bought for my set up, I brew ghetto!!

Where do you guys source these Mac elements? Sad to see KegKrap is still cheap nasty shit as I was thinking they would have sorted those issues by now - I guess not.

Also how to you blokes go running these on 10a circuits? 3600w @ 240v is 15 amps.

CmdrRyekr said:
Where do you guys source these Mac elements? Sad to see KegKrap is still cheap nasty shit as I was thinking they would have sorted those issues by now - I guess not.

Also how to you blokes go running these on 10a circuits? 3600w @ 240v is 15 amps.
Just google 5 star brewing supplies.
Im using 2 x 2400w elements off seperate outlets. 3600w will require a 15a circuit.
Were not allowed to discuss other forms of brewing on here so PM if you need any more info.

Crusty said:
Just google 5 star brewing supplies.
Im using 2 x 2400w elements off seperate outlets. 3600w will require a 15a circuit.
Were not allowed to discuss other forms of brewing on here so PM if you need any more info.
Sweet. I'm not interested in distilling anyway, so this would go in my RIM jobbie. They have a good range of tri-clamp gear too.

CmdrRyekr said:
Sweet. I'm not interested in distilling anyway, so this would go in my RIMS jobbie. They have a good range of tri-clamp gear too.
Quality gear, not cheap but flawless.
Ive got two of the 2400w element & guard kits which would suit you perfectly for your Rims build. Their ultra low density too which is ideal to avoid scorching your wort.
Highly recommended.

google search 5 star elements with the 10 a circuits the wiring of the house would have to be looked at we have a outlet that is 1 meter away from power box but if far from power box and lots of other power points not good .Refrigerators can use a lot of power when turn on ,Home insulation is another problem if house wire heats up and old wiring is less safe then newer standards.

CmdrRyekr said:
I got my brother to install a 15A outlet on a stand alone rcd. He came to town for xmas and I put him to work.

3600w turns on and off a lot during the mash. My next step is to set up something to dial the power down when needed. It gets a good rolling boil on for 50 litres though.

Earth leakage can be a problem thought my element was bad but may have got moisture in a connection worked fine next time i used.

wynnum1 said:
Earth leakage can be a problem thought my element was bad but may have got moisture in a connection worked fine next time i used.
Do you have the guard?

Yes but just think it was one of those days happened at end of boil and low roof in shed my have got a bit steamy and condensation.

I also got an extra circuit put in.

Didn't use the guard kit, got a couple of jaycar aluminium jiffy boxes, stainless glands and liberal use of aquarium silicone in addition to the supplied seals. Works a treat. Although evaporated a couple more litres yesterday than I planned! The POWER!!! (INSET DIABOLICAL LAUGHTER HERE)

Mikeyr said:
(INSET DIABOLICAL LAUGHTER HERE)
I sometimes read Mr Men books to the kids with diabolical laughter. Especially Mr Muddle.

Classic.

Carry on

Sorry just need to clarify, are you guys using the weld less elements that are a single rod or are they the type with the 2 x U shaped elements?

Thanks in advance.

Tony121 said:
Sorry just need to clarify, are you guys using the weld less elements that are a single rod or are they the type with the 2 x U shaped elements?

Thanks in advance.
single rod

Does anyone know the what the watt density is for the 3600w single rod style element? Can't find it on the 5 star site.

Back