9kg Lpg Gas Bottle - Where To Get?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Swap'n'Go labels are just advertising. It doesn't make a scrap of difference to other refillers as you own the bottle. BCF is the cheapest in Ipswich, but I hear there's a camping store near Wacol station that does cheap refills on Tuesdays. My plan is to get cheap refills then use the swap'n'go when the bottle is close to its test date.

My plan is to get cheap refills then use the swap'n'go when the bottle is close to its test date.

The only reason swap n go is good, I've done this once so far. Beats getting tested or purchasing new, the one I picked up was almost brand new.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences - wasnt such a trivial question after all I think.

I will have a look around at the small petrol stations for good refill prices then and buy a cylinder.

Happy New Year!

I tap off the forklifts bottles at work & it definately has less heat, but the price is right.

I think we are on the same wave length. Here is a "Nitrogen" test and transfer leads and fittings set. Comes in very handy at times;

nitrogen.JPG

OT slightly but was thinking about this myself

My last (and, admittedly, first) refill cost me $97.50 delivered. 45kg.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but the plumbing costs were a bit higher than I expected.

This to me seems the most economical ... Is this is the same as the gas you get out the sticks (like Singleton :unsure: ) for gas cooking heating?

If so does it burn the same as bbq gas or isnt it as hot?

Thanks Troopa

Same in Bowral. Near $40 for swap & go, same at BBQ's galore. Fortunately found a hardware store that'll fill them up for $11. Those swap & go jobs are cornering the market & rippin' us blind :angry:

$11 ?
That wouldn`t be for a 9kg refill tho?

stagga.

OT slightly but was thinking about this myself

This to me seems the most economical ... Is this is the same as the gas you get out the sticks (like Singleton :unsure: ) for gas cooking heating?

If so does it burn the same as bbq gas or isnt it as hot?

Thanks Troopa

Yep, exactly the same...I use the 45L as a back-up for the 9L and vise versa...

Yep, exactly the same...I use the 45L as a back-up for the 9L and vise versa...

Agreed - same gas. (Further OT, I'm thinking of doing the same with SodaStream and 10 or 22 kg CO2 - mainlining the big bottle and using the tiny one as backup.)

I thought it would make sense given what my brewery looks like and where I live to get it all plumbed in. I'm not confident enough to DIY fixed gas plumbing.

I have gas bayonets inside the brewery and under the verandah of the brewery, so I can brew inside or out. I paid a twosome of plumbers to supply and fit everything except the bottle, the hose and the burner. I have no complaints with the work, but it cost about $500, plus the bayonet to Coleman gas hose (and the gas burner which I got cheap by accidentally walking into a 26.5% off sale at the big camping store). That's all pre-tax money for me if I ever generate an income, so I am not so fussed, but you would have to brew quite a bit to make that amount of money back, I reckon. The local gas supplier seems to like my beer, so things may even work out cheaper again... ;)

Attn. North Eastern Mexicans

Found Gameco in Preston = $20 refil

They also sell Ramboi burners and turkey burners....

GAMECO
65A Chifley Drive
PRESTON VIC 3072

Gameco

Cheers Jimmy

For those around NW Sydney, the servo on Adderton Rd, opposite Telopea Station does refills for $20. IIRC.
Bunnings, the rotten F##ers, sells 9kg refills a bit cheaper than SwapnGo, but it's actually 8.5kg. I dunno how that works.

Bunnings, the rotten F##ers, sells 9kg refills a bit cheaper than SwapnGo, but it's actually 8.5kg. I dunno how that works.

When I moved to QLD 5 years ago, I noticed the major energy supplier up here was advertising 8.5Kg back then, first I ever heard of it, so it must be a QLD'er thing, like Cain Toads, slowly spreading. Remember Eagleboys, BCF and SuperCrap Auto started in QLD)

I only pay Auto LPG pump price for mine. ;)

Burns a bit cooler, (2 schooners instead of 1), but the meat and sausages are cooked right through!

I have a mate who uses a 45kg forklift gas tank for BBQs and other stuff.

They have a fitting that connects it with autogas and they fill it at the local servo. Obviously they make it look like it is a gas cyclinder in the car when they refill as I believe it is quite the nono to do what they are doing.

Over the weekend it cost less than 20 bux to fill it, tho it wasn't totally empty.

Lasts forever, and no problem with heat for BBQ use for sure.

Sure seems economical to me.

Cheerz Wabster.

Bumpy Bumpy

My brew mate round the corner has given me a gas BBQ (with reg) and I need a 9k bottle, I can walk across and get a refill just over the street at the Caravan Park for about $22 so I'll buy a bottle rather than use swap n go. Prices seem to vary wildly from $39 at Bunnings to nearly $50 at BCF. Anyone know of any specials or good spots on the Northside to get a bottle?

tried to buy a "new" swap and go at a servo the other day for the BBQ at the brewery....i.e i didnt have one to swap just wanted a full one no swapover...

check this....

$82 bloody dollars. stupid rogues.

GAMECO
65A Chifley Drive
PRESTON VIC 3072

Gameco

Cheers Jimmy

Jimmy thats is massive news. Drive past there every week. champion find that one.

For the NSW Central Coasters

Got a 9kg filled at Metro servo Tuggerah last week for $10.
They only had 1 person working and they couldn't/wouldn't leave the counter (4pm weekday!) so had to leave it overnight and pick it up the next day <_<
Still, can't complain about the price though.

GAMECO
65A Chifley Drive
PRESTON VIC 3072

Gameco

Cheers Jimmy

Agree with Fents. That is a darn nice price. And Shmick's is even better. Jealousy is a curse!

My 9kg refill costs me around $26 at the Malvern Rd Glen Iris Mitre 10, but their opening hours are real tricky being a family run store. But it's a much better deal than I get on my 'Swap and Go' bottle at the servo. They swap my little 3.7kg backup bottle and sting me around $36 for the privilege at my Caltex (despite the fact I actually bought a 3.9kg to start with). Someone's making some bucks here. Should sell their downsized pissy little GoGas bottle back to them! :angry:

Hopper

Edit- I should add that in Vic you can buy your own empty Gasmate 9kg bottle for $39 at Bunnings on special, or around $42 when they're not on special. Perfect for taking to a refiller. Big W in Vic only sell Swap n Gos, think Rays Outdoors also sell bottles but their prices weren't as good as Bunnings last time I checked. Or just go electric element!

Agree with Fents. That is a darn nice price. And Shmick's is even better. Jealousy is a curse!

My 9kg refill costs me around $26 at the Malvern Rd Glen Iris Mitre 10, but their opening hours are real tricky being a family run store. But it's a much better deal than I get on my 'Swap and Go' bottle at the servo. They swap my little 3.7kg backup bottle and sting me around $36 for the privilege at my Caltex (despite the fact I actually bought a 3.9kg to start with). Someone's making some bucks here. Should sell their downsized pissy little GoGas bottle back to them! :angry:

Hopper

Edit- I should add that in Vic you can buy your own empty Gasmate 9kg bottle for $39 at Bunnings on special, or around $42 when they're not on special. Perfect for taking to a refiller. Big W in Vic only sell Swap n Gos, think Rays Outdoors also sell bottles but their prices weren't as good as Bunnings last time I checked. Or just go electric element!

Latest posts

Back