9kg Lpg Gas Bottle - Where To Get?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unterberg

Reaction score
Hi

I need to get a gas bottle for the bbq and was wondering where you can get them for a good price.
Any experiences?

Cheers

Is this some sort o wind up? (English accent)

(english accent) - I say chap I am in agreement with sinkas, are you up to shenanagans at our expense.

i think youll find that 90% of gas bottles are all Swap and Go and the same price. servos, bunnings, mitre 10 etc etc etc.

EDIT: same price within a couple of dollars.

Don't think so, he's just german :lol:

Try Bunnings or one of your local camping equipment stores, Ray's Outdoor, Ranger Camping.
Bunnings are probably cheaper, K-mart and Big-W will also sell them, their prices are probably better than the camping places, but then they're not open on Sundays over here.

Na mate, I just havent bought one in Australia and I know you can get them everywhere.
I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a place... or had bad experiences with another...

Are you avin' a laff? Is he avin' a laff?

extras_laugh_wt_r_1.jpg

:D

If you don't go the swap and go route, and buy a bottle outright, then the cheapest place i've found to get it filled is BCF.

Also once you have one, as easy as it is to use the swap n go service (and there are some times when you need it fast or nothing is open) try and ring or visit places around and find out how much refills are.

Some independent servo's I have found to be quite cheap, I use a local indepedent who refills my 9kg for $19 as opposed to 25-30 bucks for a swap.

Bought one a few months ago at our local BBQ Galore.
Price was better than at Bunnings etc.
They refill them for me, and I get a free fill after 5 others. Works out cheaper than Swap & Go for me.

no where near me filled up my priavtely owned gas bottle for any cheaper than the swap and go. bloody ridiculous so I just tradeed it in dfor swap and go.

do some rinigning around in case theres a cheaper option for you.

apols for speelinhg. beer at lunch

no where near me filled up my priavtely owned gas bottle for any cheaper than the swap and go. bloody ridiculous so I just tradeed it in dfor swap and go.
Same in Bowral. Near $40 for swap & go, same at BBQ's galore. Fortunately found a hardware store that'll fill them up for $11. Those swap & go jobs are cornering the market & rippin' us blind :angry:

Ray's do 9 kg refills for $20 - cheapest I've found.

Hang the expense and get a cylinder with a gauge from BBQ Galore, saved my ass a few times. Its accurate as it uses a float inside the Cylinder, plus you dont have to worry about second guessing, weighing, hot water test, inaccurate stick on guages etc, just look at the gauge. Worth the few $$ extra IMHO. Oh, and dont use it in a "swap & go", you wont get one back. BCF have the cheapest refills in the chain stores I have found, but check around.
Cheers
Sully

Hang the expense and get a cylinder with a gauge from BBQ Galore, saved my ass a few times. Its accurate as it uses a float inside the Cylinder, plus you dont have to worry about second guessing, weighing, hot water test, inaccurate stick on guages etc, just look at the gauge. Worth the few $$ extra IMHO. Oh, and dont use it in a "swap & go", you wont get one back. BCF have the cheapest refills in the chain stores I have found, but check around.
Cheers
Sully

I use the ol tried and tested "when the flame goes out and I haven't turned it off I'm outa gas procedure" :D Mind you only because I have the spare on the BBQ so they regularly get swapped around.

Cheers
Sully

+1 but I got my Gasfuse from Bunnings for around $30.
Linky

TP :beer:

Cheers
Sully

+1.

I get mine filled at BBQ galore- it's $30 a fill, but the 5th one is free, and since I go through a lot of gas (50L batches + high evap rate + NASA = a lot of gas) it certainly is worth it.

I use the ol tried and tested "when the flame goes out and I haven't turned it off I'm outa gas procedure" :D Mind you only because I have the spare on the BBQ so they regularly get swapped around.
In saying that also, my B-I-L has two 4.5kg's for that very reason. Also makes sence too.

Cheers

Sully

Probably not your best option, but I scored heaps of them, out and in-date from Kurb-side clean-ups.

The ones that were in date were the ones currently sold at Bunnings, BCF and all other CHINESE CRAP importers. They had severe surface rust where the powder coating had come off and the weather had it's effect.

The out of date ones I kept were "old school" hot-dipped Gal coated and first stamped with re-test dates in the 1960' and 70's and like new. Problem is, to get a test and stamp costs more than a new bottle, but "you gotta make a decision punk", $40 for a test good for 10 more years or $39.95 for a bottle from China that will rust-out in 5-6 years!

Just like with those BBQ bottles and new el-cheapo BBQ's that rust away in 2 years, I know that with my "old school" stuff, I won't be sending money to China!

Anyway, back on-topic, Bunnings, BCF, most fuel dispensing outlets will have Swap crap and Go facilities where you pay about $90 for one if you don't own one and $30 to swap if you own one already!

Probably not your best option, but I scored heaps of them, out and in-date from Kurb-side clean-ups.

The ones that were in date were the ones currently sold at Bunnings, BCF and all other CHINESE CRAP importers. They had severe surface rust where the powder coating had come off and the weather had it's effect.

The out of date ones I kept were "old school" hot-dipped Gal coated and first stamped with re-test dates in the 1960' and 70's and like new. Problem is, to get a test and stamp costs more than a new bottle, but "you gotta make a decision punk", $40 for a test good for 10 more years or $39.95 for a bottle from China that will rust-out in 5-6 years!

Just like with those BBQ bottles and new el-cheapo BBQ's that rust away in 2 years, I know that with my "old school" stuff, I won't be sending money to China!

Anyway, back on-topic, Bunnings, BCF, most fuel dispensing outlets will have Swap crap and Go facilities where you pay about $90 for one if you don't own one and $30 to swap if you own one already!

Carbonator,

:icon_offtopic: Agree with you re the old hot-dipped bottles. :super:
Buying my own bottle & staying away from those "Stop & Go" outlets was the best option for me. Rust-wise, if this ever happens a quick sand over & a coat of Killrust solves the problem for another 6-7 years.
I also have several different sized bottles available to swap over in mid-boil if the 9Kg empties but also enjoy the safety features of the Gasfuse when using my NASA.

TP :beer:

Bloody $35 for a swap and go now up here. Pricks.

Back