80l Keg Conversion, Tap And Pickup Tube Location

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrak

The Dutch Knight Brewery
Reaction score
Guys and girls,
I've begun the conversion of an 80L Newcastle Brewery keg that I picked up recently. Chopping the hole in the top was a breeze, and my the 30cm lid from my 20L BigW stock-pot fits perfectly on the rim.

When I finished cutting the top out, I saw the base was different to what I was expecting.
It's a bit difficult to see the depth of the ridge-ring in the photo, but it's ~5cm high at the peak.
web_IMG_0212.JPG
web_IMG_0225.jpg

Any thoughts on where would be the optimum location to position the end of the pick-up tube?

I guess my concerns are:
* How the ridge will affect the trub during a whirlpool,
* where to position it to pick up the cleanest wort
* how to reduce/prevent wort wastage as much as possible

I mainly use pellets and don't currently have any form of filter on the pickup tube.

Thanks for the advice :)
Tim

g'day Phrak,

My boiler is just the same. I dont use a pick up tube just a hole about 3cm from the base & a welded 1/2inch nipple with ball valve. I use a hopsock and after draining tilt boiler a bit to get as much as posible out I am left with about 1.5l of trub & wastage. My boiler already had the hole in it, if i was to do it from the start i would put the hole a bit lower.

Frenzel

Thanks for the feedback Frenzel :)

I did some whirlpool testing last night before drilling the hole. I found that the centre ring-ridge-thing seems to do a reasonable job of holding the (test) trub (stainless metal shavings from cutting the top out) in a nice little pile.

I ran a few tests with the pickup tube in different locations. The most practical location for least trub/maximum liquid collection seemed to be just forward of the ridge opening.

I've tried to (poorly) visualise it here:
web_IMG_0212_pickup.JPG

Now to pickle and install the brass fittings to finish the kettle! :super:

Latest posts

Back