75 Litre Esky For A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddywillwill

Reaction score
hey guys.

if i have a 75litre esky that i want to make into a mash tun. What would be the biggest size batch i could make in it? cause i was thinking of getting a 2 of 100 litre pots, on for kettle and one for my HLT.
but if 100 litres is too big for my esky i'll donw grade my pots.

Thanks
Willis

hey guys.

if i have a 75litre esky that i want to make into a mash tun. What would be the biggest size batch i could make in it? cause i was thinking of getting a 2 of 100 litre pots, on for kettle and one for my HLT.
but if 100 litres is too big for my esky i'll donw grade my pots.

Thanks
Willis
I have a 57+ltr Esky as my Mash Tun and it fits a double no worries, I need about 60ltrs of water for brewing and have a pre-boil volume of about 50ltrs... My Kettle is 80ltrs.....

Not sure if this helps you.... :unsure:

:icon_cheers: CB

ok sweet. so i should crack in a triple?
cause it's 3 - 4 litres of water to a kilo of grain?

A triple batch would be fine, you would only need an 80lt HLT as sparge water would be around 60 lt. I have heard a general statement that your HLT needs to be around the same size as your final volume.

Cheers
Gavo

I think beerdingo's mash tun is a 75L and we almost got 100L of wort out of it on the vic swap brewday. The mash tun was fairly full, but worked well.

Kleiny

ok sweet. so only need an 80. hhhmmmmmm. should i get a 100 or not..... That is thy Question. yeah stuff it i'll get a 100ltr so later on if i want to go big i can just get a bigger esky. :chug:

thanks heaps for the info. :super:

ok sweet. so i should crack in a triple?
cause it's 3 - 4 litres of water to a kilo of grain?
DWW,

You could easily manage a triple with that Mash TUN.

If you want to do an 80L (quadruple) batch, which I reckon you could just manage as long as it's not a huge 1070 beer with squad loads of grain, You'll need the 100L pot for your kettle, and a 100L for your HLT would make things alot easier, but not necessary if your batch sparging.

Happy Brewin' and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

PB :icon_cheers:

yeah for my first i'm only gonna do single. but was thinking in future save money all that. so batch sparging is when you put lets say 16 ltr's for 4 kg grain. let sit for 10mins. then drain ect..?

I just brewed an 80L batch yesterday. 120L esky mashtun, 120L kettle and 100L HLT.

I used 16.75KG grain and mashed in with 50L water. The tun did not start to get full till i did a mash out with another 30L's water. So really it depends on weather you want to mash out or not but if not you could easinly mash up to 25KGs of grain.

It great to be able to brew 80 or even 95L at once. but you wait till you do have to tip a batch you will be crying into your socks.

also watch out doing single batch's in a too bigger tun because i've found you loose a bit off efficency.

and brewing that much beer set everything up right logisticly, you dont want to be trying to lift a pot with 80L's in it like i found out

yeah i thought that. so that's why i was gonna do the whole drill and put in weldless fittings on each and gravity feed them. so you think i should be doing a double to get the right efficency out of my tun?

You can brew more if you plan on fly sparging.

We use a 50L esky, 12 ish kg of grain, fly sparge at around 73% gives us 75L into the kettle preboil.

ravens right you could mash a shitload of grain if you were fly sparging..

yea from my experince you dont want to do a singlr batch in a big tun...hardly covers the floor of the tun.

Back