6am Brew Day!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Thought I would take some pics of my brew day today. Got up at 6am to start brewing, had been planning this for about 1 week now and was quite excited to do it. Never been happier to get up so early.

Cheers
Phil

DSCF0904DSCF090401.jpg
HLT - as I live in a hotel (on site manager) they give me an apartment for free, with free utilities. Normally I would use my keggle for my strike water and sparge water, but as the gas is for free on the stove...

DSCF0905DSCF090402.jpg
55 Litre Willow Mash tun with a beer belly false bottom (gives me a consistant 70% - I want higher but I always get 70% which is good).

DSCF0906DSCF090403.jpg
Aimed for 65...can't complain with that.

DSCF0907DSCF090404.jpg
My little puppy (taco) the brew assistant.

DSCF0909DSCF090405.jpg
Brewer's breakfast - my take on the german farmer's breakfast.

DSCF0910DSCF090406.jpg
First runnings.

DSCF0911DSCF090407.jpg
Second runnings.

DSCF0912DSCF090408.jpg
Bringing it to a boil with my italian spiral burner.

DSCF0913DSCF090409.jpg
Weighing out the hops, simcoe and cascade.

DSCF0914DSCF090410.jpg
Boiling away in the 'sun room'.

DSCF0915DSCF090411.jpg
Draining into the no chill cube.

DSCF0916DSCF090412.jpg
Slow chill method. I want to pitch this afternoon, so it's chilling down in the sink changing the water 3 times or so and adding ice in the last water bath.

Cheers
Phil

Do you have any problem with heat below the burner (on the tiles)?

Initially I thought I would, but don't have any problems at all. I am quite cautious with that sort of thing ever since Wayne from beerbelly told me about how his concrete got wet as he cranked up the italian burner and the concrete exploded underneath it. But those tiles are really great.

Nothing that a piece of cement sheet wouldn't protect against, just to be on the safe side.

Thought I would take some pics of my brew day today. Got up at 6am to start brewing, had been planning this for about 1 week now and was quite excited to do it. Never been happier to get up so early.

Cheers
Phil

Cheers
Phil

Likewise turned on the HLT at 6.30am currently part way through the sparge.

BYB

IMGP2497.JPG

Nice work, Phil and BYB.
I also love my early starts, 5:30 to 6:00 am. Mine's planned for next Wednesday or Friday, depending on progress of my starter.
Means I'm all done and cleaned up around lunchtime, except on a decoction day.
I normally do all my weighing and milling the day before I brew, have my water all ready, so all I have to do is fire up the burner on the HLT, and I'm away.

BYB - What's the small keg shaped pot in the foreground about ?

This thread has motivated me, finishing the mash on a porter right now. Threw in some simpsons golden naked oats that smell terrific.

Oh and I also had a bacon & egg sambo for breakfast too.

Nice work!

I often get up at 4:30 to 5 am to start my brewday. Its all done by lunch that way and leaves the afternoon for drinking...... or other activities...... or a combination :)

I would get a bit of fiber cement to put under the burner as well. Just to be safe.

cheers

+1 on the early starts ,, its the best way too brew without drinking too many and forgetting hop additions , lol

and also +1 on the fiber cement sheet , try a few building sites for an offcut or broken bit ...

Cheers

puppy.jpg

OMG ! Banjo would like to play with that. :p

Who here remembers Tiffy?

Come on you older members.

Batz

View attachment 30889

OMG ! Banjo would like to play with that. :p

Who here remembers Tiffy?

Come on you older members.

Batz

Yeah I remember her pissing all over the floor at a brewclub meeting, just before her owner thumped his fists on the table and retreated with all the club finance notes, never to be seen again :rolleyes:

cheers

Darren

I love the eary morning brewday,

Nothing quite like firing up the burner before the sun comes up.

cheers

Darren

Yeah I remember her pissing all over the floor at a brewclub meeting, just before her owner thumped his fists on the table and retreated with all the club finance notes, never to be seen again :rolleyes:

cheers

Darren

There's two of us remember her !

Batz

I love the eary morning brewday,

Nothing quite like firing up the burner before the sun comes up.

cheers

Darren

yeah...was really good. Will be doing it again. I like having the grain all crushed and the strike water in the HLT ready to be heated up when I wake up at 6am. Turn it on, have shower, mash in shortly thereafter and have breakfast etc during the 90 min mash.

Cheers
Phil

Must be nice to be able to brew mid week mate. Well done! :icon_cheers:

Mash in from 4.30am -5am. Cleaned up & headed out the door by 12.30pm.
Can't say that I am a big fan, it is just what I am doing at the moment.
Cheers
Gerard

Back