60lt Mash Tun Tap Setup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have one of these 60lt eskies sitting in the garage and I'm thinking about converting it to a double batch mash tun, but on close inspection I noticed that the bung hole has an inside diameter of 24mm and where it's been moulded into the wall is not flat.

Just wondering if I should just drill a new BSP inch hole to keep it smooth and even, or if someone on the forum has used one of these and has a better idea for using the current bung hole in the esky.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Esky.jpg

You can drill out a new hole, using a hole saw - But I would probably try to use the hole you already have. Oversized solid washers with a silicon washer also on the inside to help create a seal. You can use some food safe silicon to fill the remaining area in the void after locating the threaded rod through the outlet.

Oversized solid washers with a silicon washer

Hi Raven, thank you for the advice ... can you recommend a place to purchase silicon washers from?

Cheers
C :icon_cheers:

can you recommend a place to purchase silicon washers from?

Stay the hell away from Bunnings (pretty good advice in general, really). I almost got in a fight with some cow there looking for one a couple of weeks ago.

Me: Excuse me, I was wondering if you could help me. Do you sell silicon washers?

Her: What is it replacing?

Me: ...um...I'm building something actually and I just need a silicon washer. Do you have any?

Her: What for?

Me: Erm...a bulkhead...?

Her: What's that?

Me: I'm putting a tap on an esky.

Her: Taps are in the esky section.

Me: No, not one of those $2 plastic taps. A ball valve.

Her: Ball valves are two aisles over.

Me: Yeah, I just came from there. There's nothing there.

Both: ...

Me: Uh...I just need a slightly bigger one of these [removes silicon washer from pocket and gestures pathetically]

Her: ...(stares)...

Me: Uh...thanks...for your passive aggression.

Her: WHAT DID YOU SAY?!

After trying a few other places to no avail, I managed to get the slightly smaller washer than I really needed (the one from my pocket) to work but later wondered if I could have just cut one out of a silicon baking sheet. Worth considering?

I use one. I drilled out the strainer bit and just used a 32mm x 20mm (1 1/4" x 3/4") reducing bush with plenty of thread tape. then fit with bulk head from beerbelly and ball valve

I use one. I drilled out the strainer bit and just used a 32mm x 20mm (1 1/4" x 3/4") reducing bush with plenty of thread tape. then fit with bulk head from beerbelly and ball valve

I tried that first but the bulkhead wouldnt screw through from the inside because of the angled floor drain. Then I used the parts in post 17 here; http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...=techni+ice+tun
Warmbeer posted a good pic near the end of the trhread. Cheers

Hi Raven, thank you for the advice ... can you recommend a place to purchase silicon washers from?

I have a silicon bake dish that I use for my silicon washer needs. $10 and you can cut whatever sizes you need out of it. Works a treat for me.

I tried that first but the bulkhead wouldnt screw through from the inside because of the angled floor drain. Then I used the parts in post 17 here; http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...=techni+ice+tun
Warmbeer posted a good pic near the end of the trhread. Cheers
Beat me to my own post ;)

Here's the parts you want to buy: parts and how to assemble them for a techni-ice esky

Yes, you will need to drill out the plastic drain. It's pretty soft plastic , and you could probably do it with a stanley knife.

Stay the hell away from Bunnings (pretty good advice in general, really). I almost got in a fight with some cow there looking for one a couple of weeks ago.
Get plumbing fittings from plumbing stores, guys.
Dont expect advice from Kmart employees.

I have a similar esky and didn't want to stop it from being an esky when i needed it.
I made a manofold and siphon via a hose over the lip of the esky.

Cheers

Brendan

I use THESE in my mash tun and kettle. They compress nicely when using a large washer or flanged backing nut. Highly recommended.

Have tried the cut up baking tray in the past, and while I managed to get it to work, to me it looks messy and is a bit of a pain :)

No affiliation etc, etc, etc, etc

Cheers

Latest posts

Back