5l Party Keg With Own Pressure.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Just looking through the latest lot of new gear at craftbrewer and noticed the 5L party keg as found here http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4214

I was going to just email Ross but I thought if I post it up here he will eventually see it and others can learn from my question.

Description:
These Party kegs come complete with built in gas discharger. Once activated the gas
pressure is constant at approx 70kpa, keeping the beer in perfect condition for months.
Not designed for reuse, but many brewers have adapted for several uses.

How are they filled?

Cheers

yeah i was looking at those aswell.
i assume you can remove the plastic 'bung' in the middle of the keg.
i have a few 5L bitburger kegs (tap at the bottom) that if your careful the bungs can be removed.
i was thinking of fermenting as normal then siphon some beer in and throw some sugar in to carbonate.
i'll let you know how it goes in a month or so.

Got home and did some more research. Found the following link from the manufacturer amongst it all. http://www.huber-packaging.com/en/beverage...asykeg-ips.html

I would assume that the plastic cover up top middle covers some sort of connection?

Connecting parts identical to
existing kegs
> Familiar handling when filling and
sealing
The same filling and sealing principles
> No investments in machinery required
when converting from IT to IPS
Existing equipment can be used

Would that mean like big commercial kegs or are we lucky enough to find a post like our corny's?

Bump for tonight's crew.

Any ideas transferring to the mini keg?

Did you watch the movie? It shows pouring the beer in through the plug up top....

It doesn't look like there are any connections. Use a hose to transfer it in, seal it up, then activate the dispensing cartridge.

I have some of these for samples.

There are no connections. The bung comes out, you fill via hose from a tap. Needs to be poured slowly to avoid foam. You then gently tap another more solid bung into the hole.

I don't reuse them.

Also the beer lasts for a long time in the keg and stays carbed.

I reckon they are pretty good.

Realistically, they are about $18.

The least you'll pay for a Heiny/Bitburger keg is $25, more likely $30 from Dan's (who are usually the cheapest).

Beer (assuming you don't bulk buy grain or hops) costs at the most $2 a litre to make (and that's usually a hop rocket of some sort, a pilsner would be far cheaper).

So likely you'll get a keg to take to a mate's place for around $28 tops (but likely around $23). Hopefully you'll have found a home for the rest of the beer you produced in that batch.

Taking around a 5L keg of your own beer, and not just a Heiny keg has got to be one of those glory moments.

And as Ross said, anyone could likely fix them to be reused. I know there is another vendor that is floating around with "reuse keg" kits as well.

Goomba

... I know there is another vendor that is floating around with "reuse keg" kits as well.
Goomba
You mean John's kits? These should work with the Bitburger kegs
(and probably the Craftbrewer ones as well - their link seem to be
down at the moment) - the Heineken kegs need a 20mm hole cut.

John sells either just the plugs/valves or converted kegs.

T.

http://www.huber-packaging.com/fileadmin/f...p;autoplay=true

That one?

Surely the beer will get oxidised by just tipping it in through the top like that video shows.... :rolleyes:

As I was asking, does anyone know what connections are required?

The well stocked but expensive homebrew shop here in Switzerland has a small counter pressure filler you can attach to your corny or whatever... http://www.brauundrauchshop.ch/bierbrauzub...r-partyfass.php

tho I guess any "fills any size bottle" counter pressure filler/"beer gun" can be adapted with a bung the same size as the opening of the 5l keg so long as the tube reaches the bottom of the keg.

You can also get a cooler to keep it in with built in gas and tap, right next to your favourite armchair! Here's one but it's in german...

http://www.amazon.de/Morphy-Richards-Bier-...n/dp/B000GHEC4M

Careful tho as some like Krups Beertender are for the Heiniken kegs, not these ones. afaik they are reusable too. Got my eye on an auction here someone selling a morphy richards one "used once" for approx $55aussie. Will update if i get it and it's any good - I know you blokes down there don't like warm beer

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit late but from what i can see in the video i would be able to reuse the keg by carbing with sugar or would i have to drink the keg in one go?

EDIT: Might just get a CO2 charger kit and OFB attatchment.

an old thread -

does anyone know how to remove the old gas from these Huber kegs and replace/re-use them with more beer?

Latest posts

Back