• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

$599 Kegerator including 4L/2.6kg Co2 bottle: Too good to be true

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, mods feel free to move.

Found this link of gumtree today, talked to Nick over the phone and he said the brand is all his own "kegerator" brand, and that he has 250 units in his warehouse. He has no double or triple tap faucets, only singles.

Given this comes with everything but kegs, think this deal is too good to be true? He said the Co2 bottles are all steel and they've been tested to Australian standards.

I got a quote from Grain and Grape today and they're selling triple tap kegs with 3 kegs, 2.6kg Co2 bottle filled for $920, during the father's day sale week, so Nick's deal is ridiculously cheap.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Luke

By the time you add in the costs of the kegs and what a triple tap costs. Your almost the same in cost

I'd buy a single keg for $68 from grain and grape, and wouldnt bother with the 3 taps until I finish uni and have a job, which is in about 5 years.

So getting back to the question, is this deal decent or is the seller trying to push a dodgy set up?

Well i guess you answered your own question then?

What's a single tap setup worth from GG or KK? I think KK was about $590 without a c02 bottle so what your looking at is pretty good in comparison

What's the other popular model? And the link you just shot me says it hits 3-18C, so is that 3C not legit? And is the other popular unit your talking about kegmaster?

Luke1992 said:
I'd buy a single keg for $68 from grain and grape, and wouldnt bother with the 3 taps until I finish uni and have a job, which is in about 5 years.

So getting back to the question, is this deal decent or is the seller trying to push a dodgy set up?
So the plan is to really get stuck into the drinking once you finish uni and start work? mmmmmm

lmccrone said:
So the plan is to really get stuck into the drinking once you finish uni and start work? mmmmmm
I'd go with the fact that maybe he'd have more money after Uni and can actually afford what he wants. Don't hate.

So if I'm brewing pales, IPAs, browns and stouts, reckon 5C would be OK? Or is it really worth forking out the extra 300-500 extra on the kegmaster?

Luke1992 said:
So if I'm brewing pales, IPAs, browns and stouts, reckon 5C would be OK?
Yes. 5c is fine imo, as a prime example Browns (assuming English) served at their room temp to showcase the flavours.

Cheers

Luke1992 said:
So if I'm brewing pales, IPAs, browns and stouts, reckon 5C would be OK? Or is it really worth forking out the extra 300-500 extra on the kegmaster?
if you price up a kegmaster with a single tap from one of the sponsors you might find that it's not as much of a difference than you think.
you don't need a 4kg gas bottle, go with 2.3kg or similar.

do you know anything about the quality of the taps? you can get a shit font and shit tap from the sponsors for near nothing if you ask them, don't expect the ones from your offer to be great if you don't know for sure.
same goes for disconnects, connectors, line and other bits.

if you want really cheap get a second hand bar fridge for free or near nothing, a keg and a picnic tap. you'd be set for under 100 bucks plus gas bottle. if you want to upgrade you fridge later you can but already have all the bits you need.

i don't see the point of investing into a kegerator that holds 3 kegs if you only have one tap.

is the co2 bottle stamped and certified here in OZ ?

ad says
  • Full 2.6kg (4L) Steel CO2 Gas Cylinder
  • Design Verified to meet Australian Standard AS 2030
  • Standard Australian Thread (Same as Supagas, BOC, ETC)
  • Heavy Duty – Doesn’t dint like Aluminium
  • Dispenses approximately 6 commercial kegs (300L)
  • 5 Year Warranty
i would be asking that before buying (and wanting to see the stamp) as the 1st refill might also need certification so adds more $$

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I didn't really know what I was talking about, so I asked him if he knew if I could get them refilled at KegKing, which he said that it shouldnt be a problem.

Florian, you're suggestion is awesome! I've got a bar fridge from my uni residence days in the fridge which I could convert. Any idea where I could find a decent tutorial video/advice on exactly what I should purchase? Or do you have any advice? I'd love to be able to just disassemble everything and throw it all in an esky for the summer too

Judanero said:
Yes. 5c is fine imo, as a prime example Browns (assuming English) served at their room temp to showcase the flavours.

Cheers
Room temp? That would be a tad warm even for us southern poms. In a good pub typical cellar temps would, be around 12C-14C. The english styles tend to shine at those temps. IMO, those temps also work well for well brewed APAs and AIPAs

-Keg (either ball or pin) and the matching gas and liquid posts.

-Some beer line, 5mm (or 6?)

-Line clamps

-Regulator

-Either picnic tap or through door shank... or font and taps. I'd go through door with a shank or just use a picnic tap unless you know you're not going to hit coolant lines or something by drilling throughout the top for a font.

Latest posts

Back