50l Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeGarre said:
Only problem I ever had was the wort shooting out against the ceiling while mashing. My grainbill was very light and I had not mixed it very well when mashing in so there were dough balls and channelling. This happened twice, now I spend 2 extra minutes mixing the mash.

What else? Oh yes, I once cut my hand against the sharp edge on the leg.

Couldn't be happier. My BM is my baby and I love her to bits...
A whole extra 2 minutes? May as well not bother with the braumeister. What a waste of my time.
Did you consider litigation against spiedels for the cut hand? Sure way to get your money back straight away.

Jokes, jokes.
I wonder if my brau will be a boy or a girl??

Hi SBBB
The extra cable is a safety issue for me as I can move my BM on the SS tea cart around under the winch or exhaust fan I have a plastic joiner from Bunnings holding the 2 cables together as well as helping keeping liquid from the join and spoiling my day.

The copper lid helps with the hot break which occurs around 10 to 15 minutes into the boil. I boil at 102c to keep it rolling. The hot break is foamy and will spill over the edge of the BM. Cold water sprayed on the foam helps, or the copper hood acts somewaht as a cooling tower and helps prevent most of the foam spilling out.

You need to be super careful loading the malt tube, a few spilt grains will slow your brew day down by a couple of hours as you have to remove the mash, and water in order to clean the pumps of spilled grain. Thus the copper lid is a good safety measure.

I have had a gusher mash, but I think that by using some rice hulls, a handfull or 2 at the start of adding grain, some halfway and a handful or 2 at the end seems to control this problem. This seems to be particularly important with less than 9 kg of grain. If you use 9.5 to 10 KG of grain plus some rice hulls you should be OK. With respect, I tried MHB's method of juggling the malt tube, but this did not fix the problem for me.

The last couple of brews I have added the grain to cold water before starting the BM. This seems to work OK.

I cut my thumb on a leg trying to speed up the cleaning process last brew, just take your time and plod on cleaning methodically.

I believe that the only way to stuff up a brew using a BM is in the fermenting process. Just make sure that everything is clean and then sanitize. I have yet to have a bad brew out of my BM. I jumped off the deep end and started with the 50L

Recently, I thought that I should try a couple of Coopers kits just because I have not ever made a kit brew. One was super, the other very sour. And as I don't like sour beers, it got dumped. Clean and sanitize your fermenter thoroughly. After cleaning and sanitizing I like to fill my plastic conical fermenter with boiling water just before adding the wort, but this is way overkill. I have 22 solar panels on my roof so I don't worry too much about the electricity bills which usually are in credit

The main thing that sold me on BM was the footprint, it is small and easy to use as well as store. It is fairly easy to carry, but will not take kindly to dropping.
Good luck with the new filters, I would like to hear how they work, I think that read somewhere that they can warp and allow the grain to get around them. The BM is a beautiful piece of kit and you just need to sort out your process of brewing, and there is nothing like experience.

Good luck and keep us informed how you go. Cheers :)

I have quite a few bits of grain come out when I put top filter on but I never worry about it. It never gets in my pump seems to just float around top

zoigl,

Cheers it has been ordered!
I did an AG today with some borrowed equipment. Made the decision to buy so much more worthwhile.
I really struggled. I was sure I went over strike temp on my water in the HLT so put into the mash tun under the amount of hot so that I could try and adjust down with cold. Got it to what I thought was spot on - added my grain and was 5 degrees under mash in!
Add a couple of litres of boiling water to bring temp up adjusted other additions on my instructions and left it to be.
60 mins later did an iodine test before mash out - looked fine - first time I have done one.
Mashed out - dunno if I hit my target - probably not because I was mashing out with 2 litres less.....
Went to drain Mash Tun and it is blocked up! Get another esky with a tap put in biab bag and pour entire mash tun into biab bag in new esky. Start draining no worries. Give it a bit of a sparge - again all good. Hold biab bag up with one hand and squeeze it against the wall of the esky to get all the goodness out. YAY cant wait to not do this again.
Get it all in the boiler and get it to a rolling boil. Hop additions in hop bag everything is fine.
Chill with immersion chiller. No worries.
Go to drain boiler into fermenter. Comes out at maybe a litre per hour pace! Aint nobody got time for that.
Grab freshly rinsed Biab bag. Place in fermenter. Tip contents of boiler into fermenter. Hold Biab bag up until liquid finally drains.
Check gravity 1039 target was 1041. YAY.
Not really the absolute disaster but a real PITA. Pretty sure the guy that lent me the equipment knows how difficult it is to work with and wanted me to really decide if I wanted to continue with this AG brewing caper.
I have one kit left in the cupboard. If I run out before the braumeister arrives I will do it to get me by. Otherwise it is earmarked for a keg as a birthday present.
I am a stickler for cleaning the first advice I was given was "the only way you can mess this up is by not having everything clean". Same mate gave me the advice "stop testing it with the hydrometer you are only wasting beer". Sage advice. I have now bought a refractometer!

Thanks again for all the advice. I will let you know how the brau journey goes!

I watch my mash at the beginning of the brew and at the beginning of the boil process (ie after removing the malt tube) hovering over it with a fine mesh kitchen strainer ready to collect any wayward bits of grain/rice hulls that might have sneaked past the cloth filter/strainers.

I love my 20L BM. I use it all the time. The only issue I have ever had was a fountain, but this was when I used some left over malt from my BIAB days and it was crushed too fine. 100% user error in no way BM's fault.

sillyboybrybry said:
Same mate gave me the advice "stop testing it with the hydrometer you are only wasting beer". Sage advice. I have now bought a refractometer!
:icon_offtopic: In case your mate didn't mention it to you, you have to adjust your refrac reading in the presence of alcohol (ie, if you're measuring after you've pitched the yeast). It is a common source of confusion for new refrac users.

Cheers,
tallie

tallie said:
:icon_offtopic: In case your mate didn't mention it to you, you have to adjust your refrac reading in the presence of alcohol (ie, if you're measuring after you've pitched the yeast). It is a common source of confusion for new refrac users.

Cheers,
tallie
There is an app that does the conversion. I can only talk from an IPhone perspective though. It's called Brew Calc. :beerbang:

re: cut hands. I bought some rubber strips for both the feet and the handles. A bit girly, but it makes it a whole lot easier to move.

Gibbo and tallie - beersmith helps convert refractometer readings. I just need to work out how to help it help me.
Mr No-tip - great idea! I worked at a place a long time ago with poles that they thought would hit my head so they covered them in foam before it became an issue. Nothing girly in preventative action!

The new BM's come with rubber on their feet...

Has anyone here purchased a 20l and regretted not spending a bit more on a 50l? I got the missus over the line on $2500 but cant get get approval on the $3500 for a 50l. Maybe i need a new bride....

Sterlo

The way I see it permission for 2500 is permission for 3500.
Mid last year my wife gave me permission to spend the $90 to get a homebrew starter kit from my LHBS. I have spent over $800 there already plus the countless kits I have purchased from woolworths and kmart.
Getting the brau (which I am going halves with another brewer in to reduce costs) is really just an extension of the original $90 I was allowed to spend.
Sterlo see if you can convince a mate that he wants to brew his own beer and you can share?

I married a German Fraulein 47 years ago who likes her beer almost as much as me, so no problems. We even get to visit the Bavarian Beer area each year! :D She is my best mate!

Tell her you'll be able to spend more time with her by brewing more volume but less frequently. That's how I got mine over the line :D

I just got two brews done in a day. While playing with kids. Money well spent.

Latest posts

Back