50-60 Litre Fermenting Vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supra-Jim

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to get a fermenting vessel (plastic) around 50-60 litres in volume

I know most HBS stock the 60 litre units, however these are too tall to fit into my fermenting fridge. Idealy i am looking for something around 550mm high and no more than 500mm in diameter.

Would prefer a recommendation to somewhere in Melbourne (that's not being too fussy is it?)

Otherwise i think i'll be looking for a new fermenting fridge......

Cheers

Jim

I know in NSW you can get them from Aussie Disposals, they are called Canoe Drums. cost $39 i think off hand.

Supra Jim, i have an old style 60L thats not as tall as the newer 60L's. It would be worth searching to see if you can find an older one, i think it may be what your looking for. Cant tell you the height yet as its at home.

could be a new fridge i think , all the larger fermenters ive seen are pretty much the same size

Yeah, i've seen those canoe drums, but i think they are too tall from memory.

Just make sure that you either have the mechanics to move, or never have to move the fermenter when you want to rack to your keg. I wouldn't like to try and lift 60+kg of un-carbonated beer!

That'd be my biggest challenge with my own setup. For now, I'll have to survive with multiple fermenters.

Tim

Yes you do raise a good a point there Phrak.

Time to crack open a few bottles of thinking juice.

Does anyone see issues with splitting, for example a 50 ltr brew into 2 x 30ltr fermenters. IF i give them the same amount of yeast, in the same condition, then keep them in the same temp controlled environment, this should work?

Yes you do raise a good a point there Phrak.

Time to crack open a few bottles of thinking juice.

Does anyone see issues with splitting, for example a 50 ltr brew into 2 x 30ltr fermenters. IF i give them the same amount of yeast, in the same condition, then keep them in the same temp controlled environment, this should work?
Yeah, no issue there at all, you're essentially making two batches of the same beer. Whether or not you decide to blend them into a 50L keg or seperately into 19L cornies is up to you.

I looked at a large fermentor; the idea of moving it around put a stop to it. I'm using 2 smaller ones.

QldKev

Hi All,

We bought two of these: http://www.peopleinplastic.com.au/prodview.php?id=04 for our brew-space (with five thirsty boys on the team the small fermenters were never going to keep up).

People In Plastic were good, cheap and in the end we had the two carboys plus taps and lids delivered to my house in Melbourne for ~$56 each. Bargain.

The fermenters have been working well. Definitely a two man lift when they are full. We have been racking half to a small fermenter after primary fermentation; and bottling the rest (which gives us a good taste test control on racking vs immediate bottling).

Cheers

Breezy

Anyone tried converting an old keg into a fermenter?
If so what did you do?

Anyone tried converting an old keg into a fermenter?
If so what did you do?

The main issues are, - how to separate the sediment from beer (syphon from above the sediment) and how to attach an air lock (indication of fermentation process)?

Fermenting in a keg is fine!

As long as you got money, anything is possible! Obtaining Food SS grade fittings and visiting someone that can TIG weld is also handy.

Rigging an air lock to the keg fitting is possible, as well as syphoning above the sediment level is a big help!

Having a shortened "dip tube" may help when pouring from the same keg you fermented in, however, if the decanting rate is too fast, the sediment may be disturbed during pouring!

Thanks breezy for the address, just ordered 2 of those drums myself, what a bargain!!

i know ppl who ferment in 50L kegs its easy. just get the "speare" out with a removal tool, pour your wort in, add yeast and buy a big rubber bung from your local HBS they should stock all sizes...whack the bung in which already has a hole in it for an airlock...

as for getting the wort out - syphon on.

Latest posts

Back