4 pines West Coast Red Rye IPA Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
My flatmate just brought home this beer and it is fantastic. Anyone got a clone?

Agree on the fantasticness!

Much better than the grapefruitjuice one they did a few months ago.

Love this beer, it's Keller, the best yet
Here's a start care of crafty pint http://craftypint.com/beer/3622/4-pines-west-coast-red-rye-ipa

It uses the same Citra and Amarillo hops you’ll find in their regular pale ale, only here they’ve been dialled up. But it also has rye in it and that, as much as anything, is this beer’s defining character. In the interests of comparison, we asked a couple of Sydney brewers of US-style rye ales what might be a "usual" amount of rye to use in a beer and somewhere in the area of 10 to 20 percent seemed to be a bit of a sweet spot. This is due to rye being a bit fiddly to brew with in a technical sense and, from a flavour perspective, the more rye you use the more spicy characters you’ll get. That 4 Pines’ effort uses 50 percent rye lets you know the brewers haven’t been afraid to hold back or put in the hard yards; apparently, this beer holds the unwanted mantle as having been the longest single brew day in 4 Pines’ history: 18 hours, which is more than double a standard brew day.

Oh that's lucky, I just bought a bottle yesterday. I'll be looking forward to getting stuck into it tonight when I get home then!

50% rye malt, thats going to be tricky. Do you reckon its got any specialty malts in it or will the rye already make it sweet?

Back