4 Pines Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have thought they meant everyone who tried a bad bottle. A 6 pack for 23,000 members would send them broke. Happy to be corrected by Adam though.

I actually tried the 4 Pines Kolsch from Dans about 6 weeks ago and I have to say that I thought it was a tasty drop indeed.
It's part of the reason I'm brewing one on Boxing day.

I had a bottle of the Kolsch at the tassie beer fest. Tasted great. Grabbed it from a bottlo that isn't known for craft beer and it was drinkable, but the flavours were average.

But I've found the situation is in no way limited to one brewery or bottle shop.

I've loved S&W pacific ale everytime I've had it on tap, but out of the three times I've picked some up, only once has it had the full flavour I had come to expect..... Which might explain why I am working through half a kilo of galaxy at the moment.

couldnt be that it sits it out in a hot dock till they need it?? I had a beer that sells well local out in a rural town paid 30% more and it was not the same I guess it was stored for a while as the box was ratshit lol

well i am impressed to say the least, after emailing the guys at 4 pines they were very thankful and quick to resolve the problem. they are sending me a six pack of mixed beers so i can taste them fresh, looking forward to trying these.
i never intended to bag them in any way but just wanted to let them know my experience which turned out to be a very large liquor chain not handling or rotating stock as well as it could.
incidently my mini beer fest turned into a xxxx gold fest while i was away for christmas.
angry man pale ale 1 good 3 gushers/vinegar, red oak pale 1 good 5 gushers, fat yak 4 good 2 gushers. on close inspection most were within a month of their expiry date. why do people look at you like you have introduced them to running water when you tell them "these beers are off"? not even gonna bother taking the remainder back but will be emailing management. dan's are off my chrissy card list, gonna brew it myself or drink megga swill for portable beer from now on unless i can buy direct from certain breweries :icon_cheers: .
just wish we had a decent outlet up here for craft beer.
i think cold beer at dans is the better option when buying craft beer.
my hat is off to the guys at 4 pines. can't wait to sit at their bar next year :icon_cheers:

If this is the time and place to bring up a dud 6 pack, well after enjoying the 4Pines stout on a few previous occasions, I decided to introduce it to some friends as the best Aussie stout avaiable within 10km and under $20... unfortunately this time it tasted like someone spiked each bottle with a tablespoon of soy sauce. Any idea what that could have been?! (Purchased at Dan's also.)

Regarding the Kolsch... I thought the 4Pines recipe was great, however, it's just not my favourite style of beer. It's a real pity that there are factors beyond the control of the brewery that result in the end consumer believing the beer tastes inferior to how it would have when it left the bottling factory. I honestly hadn't even thought about it before.

Question is: how does a brown bottle of beer end up so messed up? What the hell are the bottlos doing to them?

How does handling result in gushers? The culprit would be in the bottling line ... do the micros do any flash/tunnel pasteurisation? Contaminants in the process and/or equipment?

Gushers are also known as BOTTLE INFECTIONS.

Question is: how does a brown bottle of beer end up so messed up? What the hell are the bottlos doing to them?

How does handling result in gushers?

Exactly, and mine was from BeerMasons not DM.
I bet it was the whole batch that brew.

Batz

There. I fixed it.

4B58703B7A9108BAE1008000AC193D36.JPG

How does handling result in gushers? The culprit would be in the bottling line ... do the micros do any flash/tunnel pasteurisation? Contaminants in the process and/or equipment?

Gushers are also known as BOTTLE INFECTIONS.
Well I've wondered about this.....there's gushers and there's gushers IMO. There's been a few beers from various micros that I've come across (that I'm familiar with fresh) that have been gushers, however flavour wise they've been fine. 10 minutes in the sink and they're good to go. On the other hand, I haven't come across a bottled red oak beer in years that hasn't been massively over carbed as well as sour...... So does that make the first example under-attenuated and the yeast has kicked of again? Or are they bottling with a more attenuative strain that gets a bit excited when left out in the heat?

Hi members,

Just to clarify.

As big78sam said, 23 000 members receiving a 6 pack would send us broke 12 times over. Unfortunately this offer is for those who contributed to the thread before our post and had an issue with the Kolsch. We've been in touch with those members.

We would love to give a 6 pack to 23 000 people but in the interest of brewing beer and having time to develop a few interesting specialties this isn't feasible.

If it were we would certainly get you a 6 pack. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Hi members,

Just to clarify.

As big78sam said, 23 000 members receiving a 6 pack would send us broke 12 times over. Unfortunately this offer is for those who contributed to the thread before our post and had an issue with the Kolsch. We've been in touch with those members.

We would love to give a 6 pack to 23 000 people but in the interest of brewing beer and having time to develop a few interesting specialties this isn't feasible.

Thanks.

Well you get my Kudos, although I had a dud stout, not Kolsch. (I'm not traulling for a free six pack, in case it comes across that way. I was just disappointed that I got the dud when I was trying to showcase it to friends.)

The best thing is that you're trying to keep the peace and offer consumers a chance to experience your beer the way it should have been, even though the chances are that the problem was caused after it left the brewery. That is a friendly and admirable thing to do, PR advantages aside.

i bought a dud carton of stone and wood also from dans so i rang the brewery and let them no what do u no 2 weeks later a courier turned up on the front door with a carton courtersy of stone and wood. And it was delisious i was extra happy because you cant buy stone and wood where i live it certainly made my day now every time i see it i buy a carton of it just not from dans.

Hi members,

Just to clarify.

Thanks.

Nah, leave that sort of stuff to the guys at Barons ....

i had a 4 pines kolsch and stout about six months ago and while the stout was nice enough the kolsch was so thick with diacatyl that i poured it down the drain. with the other beers as described here it does give me an impression of an infection problem at the brewery. dont know how dans can be blamed for that. too many aussie micros just cant seem to get a good grasp on bottling beer, wich is a real shame with craft beer still being in its infancy in this country.

I shared a six pack of 4pines Kolsch with bro-in-law over the weekend from a country nsw bottlo & tasted ok. ymmv.

Despite being too late for free six pack I thought I'd still post my own experience, heh....

I grabbed a six pack of Kolsch from Woolies at Xmas while visiting rellos. I don't get to civilisation much, but when I do I go looking for good new beers to try. I'd seen this on the shelves a number of times before on trips to Dan's etc. and decided to take the plunge.
Yes, I got tongue covered in bubbles to start with, the mid palate was crisp with good hop flavours, but soon slipped into quit a strong and lingering bitterness.
Not knowing anything of the style I persevered (poured the bottles and let them flatten out a bit), and it cut through rich food very well.
Looks like I'll have to have a second go at it now. What batch numbers or use by dates should I look out for when buying again?

I've had this kind of issue with a bottle-o before, they gladly exchanged for another 6pack and said it would have most likely been improper storage during transit. They also said that its usually a relatively rare occasion.

Anyway, just my two cents on beer tasting bad. Yet to try the 4Pines gear myself but its on my shortlist.

Cheers - boingk

Hmmm, this gives me an idea...

I picked up a 6 pack of Westvleteren the other week and 2 were gushers! Is this poor handling? If only there was something I could do...

;)

Now to sit back and watch the beer roll in... :icon_cheers:

Seriously, well done 4 Pines, Murrays & S&W, what happens once the beer leaves your brewery is beyond your control, but makes all the difference! All of the Pines beers are great at the brewery and the place seems really well supported by the locals, often packed, a good sign in itself for the beer.

Luckily, my mother in law lives 4 doors up the esplanade from 4 Pines and hand delivers 6 packs to my place!

Cheers

Kev

Had my first our Pines Kolsch this afternoon, very bloody nice IMO.
Bought from Woolies in Dapto while on xmas hols.

Latest posts

Back