Seeking Fermentation words of wisdom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inconceivable

Reaction score
Hi to all

I was hoping for a bit of a guiding steer regarding a possible stalled fermentation?

Below are my brew log notes with more detail; in short though I brewed on a very hot heatwave day and I'm concerned all the high temp fermenting then getting the fermenter into my new temp controlled fridge has knocked the yeast into suspension and I'm stuck. Dunno if I should be patient or take a hydro sample now and start preparing to act in the coming days.....?

This was an excerpt from my BIAB brew log for an 8Litre batch:

30 mins to go rehydrated 6g of US-05 with 27c water (never tried rehydrating dry yeast before), modest stir in approx 120ml water then left to rest for 30 mins. After waiting no hint of texture/ cream/ foam or yeasty smell, stirred modestly for 10-15 mins as per instructions no hint of texture/ cream/ foam or yeasty smell; feeling concerned.
15 mins to go added half whirlfloc table
5 mins to go made Amarillo 10g and Simcoe 10g hop addition
Cooled wort in cold water sink; had to leave for 45 x mins for children bed time
Wort at 23c when returned
Aggressively poured wort to sanitised fermenter and back to kettle 3 x times to aerate then took Hydrometer sample at 1060, very healthy 2-3 inch foam head on wort, then pitched the yeast and gave fermenter a little shake
VIF approx 7.2L (target was 8 so boil was more efficient with floating salad bowl)
4/10 fermenter at 21c no airlock activity, paranoid the first 6g of yeast was buggered. Removed lid to see foamy scum atop, pitched 5g us05 sprinkling straight on top with no rehydrate.
4/10 17:00 heatwave day; temp shows 21c, wrap fermenter in wet towel. 9pm airlock modest bubbling
5/10 8am temp 21c airlock bubbles every 6 seconds
9am put fermenter into new temp controlled fridge set for 18c but at 24c when added in, no more sign of airlock activity
11am fridge probe add showing 22c as cooling continues, no more sign of airlock activity
9pm Pondering all day that I may have knocked yeast into suspension with cold, put temp up to 19c on fridge temp controller
6/10 No airlock activity; at 11am decided after further research and pondering the yeast may get too warm if temp controlled at 19c, bump fridge down to 17c
9pm no airlock activity- Krausen appears to have fallen, hard to see through plastic

Thanks

Have you taken another hydrometer sample since you pitched?

If you don't use an hydrometer you are guessing - so is anyone who tries to comment on where the beer is up to.
mark

First of all, ignore the airlock activity, it is not a reliable indicator of fermentation. And you want the yeast in suspension during the ferment (think you mean knocked them out of suspension there). 17C won't do that to US-05 though.

It's hard to know what's going on unless you take a hydrometer reading. Take one now and another one in 2 days and see if there's any difference.

150 mm.
Give or take a beesdick.

I can't remember what that is in cubits but it should be close enough to half a guess.

All looks like pretty solid rocedures/technique you used. Well done there.

Was the scum you spoke of just krausen? Sounds like it probably was and in that case you wouldnt have needed the 2nd pitch of yeast.

As said above, take a hydrometer reading and report back. Once fermentation has started, your hydrometer is your best friend. Your airlock is your enemy and a cause of unnecessary stress. Other than stopping bugs from getting in, its barely a gimmick.

Thanks to all; i was hoping for a steer to either be more patient or take a hydro and i took the advice and took a hydro... a good excuse to drink before breakfast!

Recipe called for 1058-1015. My readings are 1060-1008 (!) 86.6% attenuation if I've calculated correctly.
Sample smelled clean and tasted good.

Couple of thoughts on this:
1 The yeast did start warm which may account for the rapid and high turnaround.
2 reading other posts it seems some people have had US-05 deliver this kind of result so it may not be wild yeast or infection
3 none of my thermometer or Hydrometer are calibrated so be taken with a pinch of salt

So i reckon my next steps are to dry hop now (might put in more to offset extra booze) then take another reading Friday and get ready to bottle on the weekend if FG is steady

@Rocker86 thanks for the terminology clarification
@Danestead my ferms are fairly opaque so I'm not familiar with the site of healthy krausen but i didnt see anything too odd in there and i was very concerned my first lot of US05 didnt cream up hence wanted to pitch more regardless to put my mind at ease

Thanks to all

I often get beers going down to 1007-1008 with US-05, although it depends on my mash temperature too. What temperature did you mash the grains?

My last one started at 1046 and got to 1010 with a 66-67C mash. I currently have a red ale in the FV now which started at 1039, but hasn't hit FG yet. Same mash temp - but I do find that these red ales often go below 1010, probably because of the lower OG.

Given the sample smelled and tasted fine, it doesn't sound like there is any infection in there. :)

I BiaB and struggle with my current setup to keep really stable mash temp, but targetted 66c and fluctuated up a bit to 67-68c. Did 80 min mash with mashout after this then squeezed the heck out of the bag; doing this always seems to give me slightly higher than target OG which I'm ok with.

Anyhow looks like I'll be dry hopping tonight and assuming FG stays stable; bottling sooner than i thought..

Rocker1986 said:
I often get beers going down to 1007-1008 with US-05, although it depends on my mash temperature too. What temperature did you mash the grains?
Just checked my log, did approximately similar brew late August where mash was mostly 68c or above and got 1016 FG with US05 but to be fair there were a million other variables too...

Why didn't you put your fermenter into your temp controlled fridge right from the start and set it for 18 then?
Am I reading your post correctly?

I also BIAB, although I do full size 23-25 litre batches in a Crown urn, so it's probably a bit easier to keep the mash temp stable, especially now with a false bottom so I can leave the urn on to maintain heat.

I would suggest you calibrate your thermometer and your hydrometer. Your hydrometer should read 1000 in water at 20oC. If it doesn't, you'll have to adjust the wort/beer readings to account for the difference.

And yes, next time just stick the FV straight in the fridge at 18oC right from the start and leave it there. Yeast prefer stable temps over temps fluctuating all over the place.

Seems to me 6 gr of yeast in 120 mil of water is never going to cream up. Fermentis recommend 10 volumes of water to weight of yeast. Thus 6 gr in 60 mil water.

Sprinkle the yeast on, leave for 30 minutes, then stir for as long as you can stand it. Pitch.

pcmfisher said:
Why didn't you put your fermenter into your temp controlled fridge right from the start and set it for 18 then?
Am I reading your post correctly?
I literally just bought the fridge off a dude the morning i transferred the FVs in. I definitely will do this next time

warra48 said:
Seems to me 6 gr of yeast in 120 mil of water is never going to cream up. Fermentis recommend 10 volumes of water to weight of yeast. Thus 6 gr in 60 mil water.

Sprinkle the yeast on, leave for 30 minutes, then stir for as long as you can stand it. Pitch.
I can't find a meauring jug with small enough measures in the house and didnt worry about ml qty as i was focused on getting the temp just right.
Thanks for the tip I'll pay better attention to the 10 volumes rule next time; good to have someone weigh in re: stirring too since Fermentis seems to call for lots but the Danstar Nottingham dry i used on the same weekend didn't seem to call for much stirring at all.

Inconceivable said:
Hi to all

I was hoping for a bit of a guiding steer regarding a possible stalled fermentation?

Below are my brew log notes with more detail; in short though I brewed on a very hot heatwave day and I'm concerned all the high temp fermenting then getting the fermenter into my new temp controlled fridge has knocked the yeast into suspension and I'm stuck. Dunno if I should be patient or take a hydro sample now and start preparing to act in the coming days.....?

This was an excerpt from my BIAB brew log for an 8Litre batch:

30 mins to go rehydrated 6g of US-05 with 27c water (never tried rehydrating dry yeast before), modest stir in approx 120ml water then left to rest for 30 mins. After waiting no hint of texture/ cream/ foam or yeasty smell, stirred modestly for 10-15 mins as per instructions no hint of texture/ cream/ foam or yeasty smell; feeling concerned.
15 mins to go added half whirlfloc table
5 mins to go made Amarillo 10g and Simcoe 10g hop addition
Cooled wort in cold water sink; had to leave for 45 x mins for children bed time
Wort at 23c when returned
Aggressively poured wort to sanitised fermenter and back to kettle 3 x times to aerate then took Hydrometer sample at 1060, very healthy 2-3 inch foam head on wort, then pitched the yeast and gave fermenter a little shake
VIF approx 7.2L (target was 8 so boil was more efficient with floating salad bowl)
4/10 fermenter at 21c no airlock activity, paranoid the first 6g of yeast was buggered. Removed lid to see foamy scum atop, pitched 5g us05 sprinkling straight on top with no rehydrate.
4/10 17:00 heatwave day; temp shows 21c, wrap fermenter in wet towel. 9pm airlock modest bubbling
5/10 8am temp 21c airlock bubbles every 6 seconds
9am put fermenter into new temp controlled fridge set for 18c but at 24c when added in, no more sign of airlock activity
11am fridge probe add showing 22c as cooling continues, no more sign of airlock activity
9pm Pondering all day that I may have knocked yeast into suspension with cold, put temp up to 19c on fridge temp controller
6/10 No airlock activity; at 11am decided after further research and pondering the yeast may get too warm if temp controlled at 19c, bump fridge down to 17c
9pm no airlock activity- Krausen appears to have fallen, hard to see through plastic

Thanks
INC1.jpg

INC2.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

@Camo6 brilliant stuff, made me laugh aloud. This username helps people enjoy great movie memories.

Now 'No more rhymes now; i mean it!'

Latest posts

Back