4 Pines Kolsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly :icon_offtopic:
Once bought a 6 pack (maybe a 4 pack) of Mountain Goat, in Orange, on the way to the Blue Mts.
All gushers. Cranky.
Then some of the other guests asked if it way my homebrew. <_<
Wasnt going back to Orange to return them. Should have let Mt Goat know I guess.
First and last try. I'm a bit like that.

Slightly :icon_offtopic:
Once bought a 6 pack (maybe a 4 pack) of Mountain Goat, in Orange, on the way to the Blue Mts.
All gushers. Cranky.
Then some of the other guests asked if it way my homebrew. <_<
Wasnt going back to Orange to return them. Should have let Mt Goat know I guess.
First and last try. I'm a bit like that.
yep ,mine was like pouring vinegar into bicarb soda.
ended up swapping for red oak pale ale, smoooooth.

To be honest, I'm kinda over trying to give the benefit of doubt to Aussie micros. S&W Pacific was "mild" and that's being nice. Where is this Galaxy supposed to be?

For the same price as something brewed on the other side of the world, Aussie Micros? Pull ya finger out! Put some flavour in if you're gonna charge that much!

Try a cavalier pale ale. Brilliant!

I just got a carton of 4 pines Kolsch. They are drinking great.

Filtered, not bottle conditioned. Best B4 7/DEC/12

What is the date on the off bottles?

Definitely contact the brewery, give them the date codes off the bottle if there are any. I'm sure they will value your feedback.

To all who have a dodgy batch..... definately record the batch or best before date on the bottle and where you bought it and contact the brewery. RIng them and without being angry (its not CUB) ask if you can talk to someone about some very bad beer they made.

Dans wont give a shit! They leave all their beer sitting out in the summer sun for god knows how long..... so what do they care. They have your money now and they say HAHAHAHAHAHAHA cause they are bigger than you and you cant prove anything!

i have tried the 4 pines pale ale and it was fricken fantsstic i must say. I have been looking at the Kolsch but i figure i can make an awsome one myself (and have it on tap) why should i pay $4.50 for another glass.

cheers

Give Dan's the flick and go to and independent bottle shop that gives a shit about the quality of their beer.

Seriously guys,

Anyone who thinks Dan's gives a flying **** about looking after their beer properly is extremely mistaken. I very much doubt that it has ANYTHING to do with the brewery, and it has EVERYTHING to do with where you buy your beer.

Let this be a lesson to you all, spend the extra couple of bucks and get a beer from someone that knows how to treat it.

Seriously guys,

Anyone who thinks Dan's gives a flying **** about looking after their beer properly is extremely mistaken. I very much doubt that it has ANYTHING to do with the brewery, and it has EVERYTHING to do with where you buy your beer.

Let this be a lesson to you all, spend the extra couple of bucks and get a beer from someone that knows how to treat it.
Weeeellllll.... I recently bought a bottle of kaimai golden rye ale from an establishment you may be familiar with in west end :ph34r: and it was a gusher... Black shit in the bottom of the bottle. Just figured it was a bad one and thought no more of it. I know it was handled well, so assumed it was the brewery or somewhere in between.

Awkward.

here dans attitude.
the beer is made in sydney then shipped down to melbourne to sit in an unrefridgerated warehouse then shipped back to sydney
not good for it at all

Beer that goes into wholesalers/buying groups travels all over the shop, so you just never know how it's treated.

It's a lotto from what I understand and my experience.

I have personally had many gushers.

For the prices charged for some beers they should be transported/treated much better.

Anyone who thinks Dan's gives a flying **** about looking after their beer properly is extremely mistaken.
And it really does pay to check the date when buying from either 1st Choice or Dan's.
I recently bought a bottle of Young's London Ale from 1st Choice and it was out of date by about 4 weeks.

I made an online order from Dan's a few months back (Adnams The Bitter) and the carton was out of date by about a month.
Not happy. It was totally different to a fresh bottle.

I also discovered recently from a workmate not to trust the stock levels shown at their website.
He went to two stores looking for Mad Brewers Scribbly Gum and neither of them had stock, even though the website said they did.

I bought a slab of the 4 Pines Kolsch back at the start of the year and there were no gushers and no off flavours. I would say that half of the bottles tasted slightly different to the other half which were kinda kolschish. I didn't buy it from Dans, but bought it from a bottle shop somewhat close to the brewery in Manly. There was nothing wrong with it, I quite enjoyed it, but maybe it is just a better beer on tap?

:icon_offtopic:
I have bought a few Belgian beers from Dan's, but I won't do it again. Actually, the jury is out for me on any Belgian beers imported here. The Grimbergen Dubbel is one of my favourite beers, but it was certainly oxidised from Dan's and also from another bottle shop.

Hi Gents,

We picked up a bit of chatter re our Kolsch and wanted to clear a few issues, answer questions and explain the style.

Kolsch as a style originates from Cologne. This German beer is warm fermented and then cold-conditioned which results in a crisp clean finish. It is light straw in colour beginning with aromas of lemon / lime finishing with a slightly malty palate.

After reading the posts and realising this was the introduction for some we find it extremely frustrating that this has eventuated and could be a deterrent for future purchases. We can assure this is a horrible reflection on the Kolsch and something were currently discussing with the big guys.

Unfortunately being a new beer into the big guys nation systems we have found the odd case to be mistreated by external factors and then find its way on shelf when it should not. Eventually being picked up by you and resulting in a bad representation of our beer.

When not affected our Kolsch has impressed on all levels with gold medals at the Sydney Royal Show, silver medals at the AIBA and Peoples Choice Awards at the Australian Beer Festival. Its a beer that not only impresses judges but also is something that first timers are using as an entry to craft due to its subtlety and unique flavour profile.

All information on our beers, both on draught and pack, regular and specialties can be found on our website.

www.4pinesbeer.com.au/beers.

If and when you are ever in Manly we would love to get you in for a brewery tour, drink the beer of tap and experience the beer at different stages of the brewing process. Please flick me an email and well arrange when youre in Sydney.

Before that time and in the spirit of Christmas we would love to get everyone a 6-pack so we know youre trying 4 Pines as it should be. Can you please email me all relevant details and well have a mixed 6 in the post to you. For some this will be the first time you have seen our Hefeweizen and Pale Ale. Both great beers with a German style Hefe and a big hop driven, tight bitter American Pale.

Thanks guys,
Let me know if you have any questions.

Be in touch soon.

Adam.

[email protected]
0407 089 741

EVERYONE? If you guys are serious (and not just to the guys posting on this thread), you guys are the best blokes ever. BAR NONE.

I'm interested to taste the Kolsch my mate in Manly raved about. The one I tried last week had a tang that was a little left-field of the usual Kolsch tang.

Do you guys use wheat in it?

Well mine came to me through Beer Masons and I would expect them to know how to store/handle beer.

How did others find their 4 Pines Kolsch from B.M. ?

Before that time and in the spirit of Christmas we would love to get everyone a 6-pack so we know youre trying 4 Pines as it should be. Can you please email me all relevant details and well have a mixed 6 in the post to you. For some this will be the first time you have seen our Hefeweizen and Pale Ale. Both great beers with a German style Hefe and a big hop driven, tight bitter American Pale.

Love to see breweries giving back to the community!

Wow, very generous offer and great PR.

I'm willing to give the Kolsch another go.

Back