3rd Party Request for Hop Rhizomes in Bulk (?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Proportedly and assumed with little evidence supporting the theory thus far...
Dwarf Cluster leaves are noticeably different to all other varieties. I thought it may have been due to wild American hop genes. Wild American hops are noted as having leaves with many digits compared to Euro hops.

hoppy2B said:
Dwarf Cluster has a different aroma to the ordinary Australian Cluster. They're both early varieties and both have compact cones. They look like different varieties, but some of the similarities between the two suggest that they may be the same variety, one of which is a tetraploid.

I think the problem with Yob is that he has decided that the Dwarf Cluster is retarded by disease or something - a decision he has made based on no ability to prove his decision, and then gone on to state it as an absolute fact. I've seen no evidence that it is diseased and noted a number of characteristics that indicate it may be a tetraploid. Besides, if it were simply stunted due to disease I doubt I'd be seeing the level of morphological difference between the Dwarf and Australian Cluster varieties.

For the record, 2 x 4 year old crowns of Dwarf Cluster produced just over 5 kg of rhizome. As I told Stu, you can bury bine at the start of the season and it will turn into rhizome. If you want millions of plants, tissue culture is a well established method of propagation in the commercial hop industry.
I was planning on doing that as a method of propagation. I'll be setting up a hot house and a shade house for some fun and games. Ill make a fair bit doing annuals for some of my customers who spend an absolute packet on them. So it will be needed anyways. If they're diseased then they wont last long. I know how to identify both pests and diseased. They looked great honestly. Hang on Ill dig a photo up. Its all holding in the fridge atm. Ive found some amazing info on hops recently. So looks like Im going to be mulching as my fertiliser program. Some of hte things I have the possibility to do. A. Because Im in hte industry so I get trade prices on anything bulk I buy like wire, fertilisers, soil, mulch etc etc. B. Im small I dont have to worry about buying 500 tons of mulch for my 400 acres......

Looking into the bines, They will sprout roots from the hairs as all hairy viney plants do.....read up a bit on tomatoes...they are very similar in terms of their hairy stems. So it makes complete horticultural sense to suppress nothing but the main stems you're growing and constantly mulching through the growing season because the specific bines will actually throw out roots on the bines that are growing that season, making both growth and in time flowering both far stronger...and you're putting that energy into the actual bines instead of wasting it on the root system. So Im still learning....this is all a big learning project. That makes complete horticultural sense, mulching sounds like its going to be the key to awesome crops. Im pretty up on mulch as I live in Adelaide, and people spend a packet on water here without it on their gardens :ph34r:

See this is going to be same old....no one else with lots of Hort knowledge so I can generally disipher the BS on the internet for solid advice....the research continues...but damn if you're getting the popcorn out....why not have a little input?

OK. Rocker86 has convinced me and I spent the extra $2 for a seat in the Dress Circle.

Because Im in hte industry so I get trade prices on anything bulk I buy like wire, fertilisers, soil, mulch etc etc. B. Im small I dont have to worry about buying 500 tons of mulch for my 400 acres......
Hmmm. From the original post on Tuesday on the other forum, the "property" has grown from a quarter acre to 400 acres. I'm guessing by Saturday it will be a quarter of Australia.

antiphile said:
OK. Rocker86 has convinced me and I spent the extra $2 for a seat in the Dress Circle.

Hmmm. From the original post on Tuesday on the other forum, the "property" has grown from a quarter acre to 400 acres. I'm guessing by Saturday it will be a quarter of Australia.
it will be the only available quarter as the internationals own the rest;)

Because my area of horticulture of turf management has nothing to do with growing hops aside from the fact that they are both plants. Or apparently isn't "real horticulture". It's more the to-ing and fro-ing of one party wanting empirical evidence before accepting something as fact (which is fair enough to be honest), and the other side throwing out what is essentially anecdotal evidence that from a scientific viewpoint doesn't hold much, if any, weight.

It's rather entertaining reading :D

antiphile said:

He mentions that he is small and doesn't need to buy 500 tonnes.... because he doesn't have 400 acres, is the interpretation I think you're missing.

Gotta admit, when I read the first handful of posts I was all like:

nutty_professor_2-1.jpg

hoppy2B said:
He mentions that he is small and doesn't need to buy 500 tonnes.... because he doesn't have 400 acres, is the interpretation I think you're missing.
Glad someone on here can actually read!

Rocker1986 said:
Because my area of horticulture of turf management has nothing to do with growing hops aside from the fact that they are both plants. Or apparently isn't "real horticulture". It's more the to-ing and fro-ing of one party wanting empirical evidence before accepting something as fact (which is fair enough to be honest), and the other side throwing out what is essentially anecdotal evidence that from a scientific viewpoint doesn't hold much, if any, weight.

It's rather entertaining reading :D
Hahahah turfies....shit if you knew anyting about horticulture you'd realise that Hops grows a LOT like some varieties of turf....being that its a rhizome...like ya front lawn is....but I leave the turf to those who can push a mower....which is everyone. Keep em coming its a good laugh...contradicting yourself in the same sententce due to a lack of horticultural knowledge....classic....

So evidence I can grow stuff?? Corn in the backyard of my rental a few years back....got to about 7 and a half foot...was so damn good too....Here is a good one for you guys too....Corn ALSO a grass....but not a rhizome....whos confused yet?? I could explain how but would probably end up beating my head against a brick wall trying to explain how and why this stuff all relates. Honestly though...far better things to do with my time....jump on google and learn a bit I guess???

corn_zpsgesogy8r.jpg

See, there you go again with your high and mighty bullshit opinions, talking down to others like you're some kind of know it all. If you think maintaining the turf on a golf course or whatever is easy then you're a bigger idiot than I thought. Yeah, obviously some turf features rhizomes, some types also feature stolons, depends on the species. Growing it is a completely different field to growing hops. They need different soil conditions, it's a different method of growing and maintaining etc. Just because they both feature a rhizome as part of their growing structure doesn't mean they're the same type of plant, or grow the same way, but you know, if you knew anything about horticulture, you'd know that.

So what, you can grow shit? Big deal. I know corn is a grass. So are palms. From what I can read of the posts on the thread, the empirical evidence wanted wasn't about being able to grow anything, it was about whether a particular variety that is claimed to be being grown is actually what it's claimed to be. And that's a fair request in my mind.

I'm keen to see a resolution to this issue as I bought a kilo of the Dwarf Cluster. Just so that I can put a label on it. Other than that, I only care about how good it is in a brew. :)

Call it Cluster **** and you should be OK..

It is extremely unlikely you bought Dwarf Cluster as it doesnt exist in Australia or even in the states by the BREEDERS of Dwarf hops... or even in the UK under hedgerow... Its not listed as one of the varietals they even grow so how the **** it can be claimed to even be here is beyond me...

Unless H2B has had a breeding program he's kept quiet about... in which case Id like to know the parentage.. and if it IS so (which it isnt) how can he claim it to be Cluster... (Multiple parantage would mean a new breed and new name as can be seen happening on ADHA)

aah **** it... so many holes in the story its bleeding preposterous...

Cluster **** it is...for now. I'll even kick in some money to have it tested.

hoppy2B said:
These photos show the leaves of the variety that I call Dwarf Cluster. This variety typically has leaves with lots of lobes. I thought it might have been an american wild hop influence that caused the many lobe habit.

attachicon.gif
Clusters 2014 and 2015 007.jpg
attachicon.gif
Clusters 2014 and 2015 008.jpg
I see what you done there. Re-quote THE VARIETY THAT *I CALL DWARF CLUSTER.....cunningly admitting its all in your head and that it is until science proves it.

Stu brew, if you are looking to TRY to put some kind of commercial label on the variety....under what banner does it fly??

Hmmm. I thought that was for:

HallucinoHops - Any flavour you want. (TM)

Latest posts

Back