3rd Party Request for Hop Rhizomes in Bulk (?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu Brew said:
So evidence I can grow stuff?? Corn in the backyard of my rental a few years back....got to about 7 and a half foot...was so damn good too....Here is a good one for you guys too....Corn ALSO a grass....but not a rhizome....whos confused yet?? I could explain how but would probably end up beating my head against a brick wall trying to explain how and why this stuff all relates. Honestly though...far better things to do with my time....jump on google and learn a bit I guess???

corn_zpsgesogy8r.jpg
Cool, you grew a smattering of corn. I am impressed. With your condescending arrogance...not so much. You would've loved Silo_Ted.

Yob said:
Call it Cluster **** and you should be OK..

It is extremely unlikely you bought Dwarf Cluster as it doesnt exist in Australia or even in the states by the BREEDERS of Dwarf hops... or even in the UK under hedgerow... Its not listed as one of the varietals they even grow so how the **** it can be claimed to even be here is beyond me...

Unless H2B has had a breeding program he's kept quiet about... in which case Id like to know the parentage.. and if it IS so (which it isnt) how can he claim it to be Cluster... (Multiple parantage would mean a new breed and new name as can be seen happening on ADHA)

aah **** it... so many holes in the story its bleeding preposterous...
So where is this assumption coming from mate?? The fact you havnt seen it or the fact its not on either Ellerslie or HPA products lists???

Dwarf hops are BRED and grown in the states (ADHA), I don't know of any hedgerow breeding program here for starters..

My assumptions are much more fact based than the counter statements

Camo6 said:
Cool, you grew a smattering of corn. I am impressed. With your condescending arrogance...not so much. You would've loved Silo_Ted.
Im not sure why you guys are grumpy?? Not enough hops in your beer??? I mean I did see a fair bit of banter going on about how I just cut lawns and know nothing about horticulture...now it seems I do Im an arrogant dick?? ....and not Im all high and mighty am I???

Damn you guys are all bipolar the way you're writing....what do you want? Info on growing hops or to continually try and say we cant do it because you live in a city and really have no idea about plants....brewing is easy stuff I havnt even gotten into showing my setup for that yet.....yes be afraid......growing plants is what Im actually really skilled at in life...you seemed to think I didnt know what I was talking about??? So whats the option? Prove what im saying like other people asked for....and as you poinnt out a 'smattering of corn' is all you can conceive I've grown in my backyard or any of my customers yards??

...so do I stop acting like a bipolar freak or you guys decide what you want to actually hear??? Not judging the photos...thinking there is a teeny tiny little backyard big enough to grow only a 'smattering of corn'....wow.....Im arrogant because I understand what Im talking about and you guys dont??? I really dont get this conversation....Im thikning anyone with no evidence of having any skills in hop growing should keep their noses out of it....because obviously explaining things to do with horticulture is being arrogant because no way this new guy can teach us anything??? Seriously....the internet is about learning.....catch up already....

Get into this haters ;) its all you..... https://youtu.be/XyOHJa5Vj5Y

Yob said:
Dwarf hops are BRED and grown in the states (ADHA), I don't know of any hedgerow breeding program here for starters..

My assumptions are much more fact based than the counter statements
So because of that....there is no way anyone else in the world knows how to breed the stuff??? Damn Im young and I guarantee you there are guys out there been doing this for the last 30 years and no one on any forum knows about it ;)

Sorry Yob. It looks like this is a dispute that can only be decided on credibility grounds. On one side, yours, we only have your reputation with a huge amount of experience in hops vs the persuasive 2-day member who has won me over with his convincing argument that: "it's not not not not not not and not."

Maybe next time, Yob.

Edit added:
...so I stop acting like bipolar freaks
Actually, that sounds as though you're tending closer to schizophrenia than bipolar, Stu.

Stu Brew said:
So because of that....there is no way anyone else in the world knows how to breed the stuff??? Damn Im young and I guarantee you there are guys out there been doing this for the last 30 years and no one on any forum knows about it ;)
So where's the evidence?

I'm certain if there was any H2B would have put it forward, by his own admission, it's speculation and assumptions

Show me some facts.. Oh sorry, you can't..

I don't nee yet another argument on this, if you want to CALL them dwarf, go right ahead, doesn't make it so though

So plant cross breeding simply put. You for instance take the male flower of a certain variety and pollinate it with another variety. So there seems to be a lot of scope, for breeding hops....It does all depend on the male pollinating the female flower though. I forget but I think its Pacific Jade that was a random pollination of two different NZ varieties....So I mean the stuff will do that if stressed enough...like most annual plants with male and female versions. Trees are a bit different because even as deciduous they're a wood stem...not a semi hard wood like the hops is. Im here to discuss this with people...telling me Im not ellerslie or HPA isnt helping...I know plants I know what it takes to breed them...Ive been researching growing hops for the last 3 years....I have a pretty good memory so I dont write a whole lot down. I have 4kgs of rhizomes Yob....Ill make sure to document how much that grows first and second year on the Netting....and cost me a 3rd of what it would have cost buying varieties that grow and crop well in Tassy and Victoria well below the 36th....so yeah mate....As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread its all about patience...Im not sure why you're upset...you've neither invested in the hops rhizomes or expect to be growing them on any kind of commercial scale....thats what Im doing....I really dont see why people are getting upset? Isnt this the biggest opportunity to sit back and laugh at someone fail miserably like ya'll expect??? Also takes patience I guess.....

antiphile said:
Sorry Yob. It looks like this is a dispute that can only be decided on credibility grounds. On one side, yours, we only have your reputation with a huge amount of experience in hops vs the persuasive 2-day member who has won me over with his convincing argument that: "it's not not not not not not and not."

Maybe next time, Yob.

Edit added:
Actually, that sounds as though you're tending closer to schizophrenia than bipolar, Stu.
cheers missed that on the proof read....all sorted now thanks for pulling me up on that one.... guess you didnt read the actual context just looking to pick?? So how much hops does Yob grow anyways??? Im all keen on seeing his massive farm of it now?? Seems to know everything there is to know about it.....but no photos of the farm??? Makes me sad that kinda internet.....

Oh FMD..

If it's been bred FROM a cluster, which I doubt, it's not ******* cluster.. It's a new breed.. Cluster is not known as a dwarf variety...

I know about cross breeding mate.. I know plenty about it.

Yob said:
Oh FMD..

If it's been bred FROM a cluster, which I doubt, it's not ******* cluster.. It's a new breed.. Cluster is not known as a dwarf variety...

I know about cross breeding mate.. I know plenty about it.
Righto.....so the male plant was a cluster was it?? See you're hitting your head on a brick wall because you THINK you understand plant breeding.....ffs.....all the forum stats in the world and still NFI what you're on about.....Do you even know there is a new search engine and something called wikipedia?? You can probably learn a little about growing hops there...but if you dont even understand how plants work I wouldnt worry yourself Yob. There is NO reason 'it WAS from a ******* cluster'....but you're a plant breeding genius better yet hops breeding genius...since you have a farm yes?? Im still waiting for hte photos of your oast house....crops, varieties, growing systems.....???? Waiting.....I really am....I know you have a farm hidden in the apartment somewhere.....come on show me!!!!!

I can probably shed some light on the arrogance and condescending nature of your post in reply to me. Let's look at the facts here. I'm asked why I have no input on the subject at hand. I say in all honesty that it is not an area of horticulture that I have very much knowledge in. To me, it would be stupid to try to offer any input on a subject that I'm not familiar with.

Instead of just accepting that and moving on, you choose to go on some stupid arrogant rant and belittle me and try to make yourself out to be better because my chosen field of expertise is different to yours. Looking after fine turf areas is more than just pushing a mower around. If it was that easy, everyone's front lawn would look like a bowling green. Granted, it's not rocket science, but neither is growing hops, or any other type of plant. The other point is, they don't teach us about every other aspect of horticulture in a greenkeeping apprenticeship because the knowledge isn't needed. It's a specific field related to turfgrass. It'd be like doing an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic and learning how to fix a pushbike.

So no, I don't give a flying **** about your ability to grow a patch of corn, or rig up some trellises to grow hop bines. Maybe I would have if you weren't such an arrogant jerk, but it's at least nice to see you haven't changed since 3 years ago.

Hahaha! This is gold. I just don't know where to start.
Excuse me for labelling you as arrogant. It's obvious to me now that your question mark key is just sticky.

So its an impossibility that there was a Tetraploid (Tetraploids are grasses that have been modified to have twice the natural number of chromosomes (“diploids”). This process results in plants with larger leaves, tillers, and seeds, and fewer tillers.) Cluster father? Bred with something that grows smaller like a UK aroma variety...then seeds were kept??? See a grower will spot these things especially if been doing it at home for a couple of decades....possibly a background in botany would help you do these things. Keep trying Yob and co....thats a good name for a craft brewery actually :ph34r: Get on it....will go soon now I came up with the idea ;)

I doubt any small time breeder would be interested in growing anything BAR what they know is great unless its a cross of two already great varieties....see interesting fact....humans worked this stuff out by watching plants not the other way around. Plants do these things naturally....Corn as I pulled up as an example....bred from crappy grass with a few juicy seeds on it...years and years of culturally stunting the plants and cross polination is whats led to the varieties and corn as we know it now....its all on youtube.....for an easy source of documentaries on plants....specifically grasses.....want me to dig one up?? Or have you got the prowess on the internet to find it?? Note I realise it took the indigenous cultures of the US 4000+ years.....but really we've advanced a bit on that in our plant knowledge....well the people in the know have ;)

Stu Brew said:
Cluster father? Bred with something that grows smaller like a UK aroma variety...then seeds were kept???
So a cluster bred with something else can make a cluster... Neat trick..

Yob said:
So a cluster bred with something else can make a cluster... Neat trick..
Cluster breeds could be from a male or female donor.....but you know this....oh shit no you dont!! So informed....cluster male of female?? What you recon...you want me to mail you some to do what you like with....$50 inc express postage for 1 rhizome...and its yours....will be there monday morning...and you can do what you like with it....so still wiating on all the 'experts' to show us their hops farms......I dunno Im just not seeing it atm....I am hearing lots of talk....and seeing no walk.......but I can wait...Im a horticulturalist....and hort breeds patience.....so Ill wait until someoene has something to say besides pulling their own dick because they been brewing beer since the dawn of time.....I admit its only been about 6 years for me.....but why would I want to come onto a forum and brag about how good 'my' homebrew is......hops is what brewers need....I was under the assumption a 'real' brewer would be very interested in local hops.....but you know real brewers know beer and real horticulturalists know how to grow plants...so what does that point towards Yob?? Redeemable by posting up your hops farm Friday......

So what you are saying, if I get this right... Is that a plant bred from the seed of a cluster male and another variety (given your example above) will be genetically identical to the cluster varietal?

Latest posts

Back