3724 almost done after 4 days, it didn't stall?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
So due to my recent infatuation with saison, I'm trying 3724 for the first time. Pretty much expected to wait 3 or 4 weeks at least to hit fg. I took a sample today and it's down to 1.012. I pitched the smack pack without a starter ( normally make a starter but it swelled quickly, and hey, it's a saison yeast!! ) at 25, and raised it to 32-34 after 36 hours. Was going to leave it around 30 but I've had good success with these saison/ farmhouse type yeast strains at hot temps. I hope to give this a secondary before the end of the week. Heard lots about the flavour of this strain, fingers crossed. Sample tasted very nice, fruity and silky smooth on the tongue.

Depending on a few things like the recipe, mash temp, etc, I'm not sure it's done at 1.012. If I was making a saison I'd want it to finish a fair bit lower than that. Maybe give it a few more days before racking (which, without meaning to open a big ol' can of worms, probably isn't worth it doing anyway) and see if it's still chugging away slowly.

In my experience, this yeast will do 95% of the ferment in the first week, then take ages to finish and drop out. It should go below 1.010, but many factors can effect that.

1.045 og. I'm definately not doing anything til it hits 1.002 or close, all the saison or farmhouse yeast I've used always get to 1.005 minimum. I just read so much about this yeast stalling at 1.030 or so that I was surprised when it didn't.

My last saison did a similar thing went from 1.048 to 1.014 in a couple of days. Left for another week while I was away and came back to find it at 1.007 and tasty, that was at 27 degrees.

Jinxed myself. It's now sitting at 1.008 for the past week!. Got the heat pad on keeping it at 32-34. I'm impatient at the best of times haha

Well, I kegged it at 1.004, and served it yesterday, right on 24 hours after kegging. Reasonably clear and I must say, this has been my favourite saison so far. I will stick to this yeast for my saisons for now. I like the fruitiness of saisons, and i don't like huge phenols, and this yeast seems to have quite a "soft" phenol character. I'm pretty sure this one had some spelt in it but I don't recall tasting anything that may have been spelt.

Latest posts

Back