3600 w recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatwhat

Reaction score
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a 3600w element that they have used in a boiler? A link would be great? I want to stick to 3600w element so I can still use an stc1000 to controller temps and a pump to recirculate... The unit will go in a 70L pot so I will either use an over the side element or an additional internal element for double batches. I have an electrician on hand to fit a dedicated circuit if needed, but I currently have 3 x 16 amp power circuits regardless.

Cheers in advance.

I think the Camco are the best value for money. That one is a low density, which is great and if you search Amazon they also do an Ultra Low Density version. Remember to buy a silicone o-ring and stainless nut to go with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
t
I think the Camco are the best value for money. That one is a low density, which is great and if you search Amazon they also do an Ultra Low Density version. Remember to buy a silicone o-ring and stainless nut to go with it.[/quote

Thanks Kev. Much appreciated.
I also found your YouTube uploads and your single vessel internal rims design great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the 1V is a fun system to use. The 1V uses an uxcell.com element, but unless they have changed they used to only do a 3,000w and then it jumps to about a 5,000w element. The Camco offering such a low density is great.

whatwhat said:
Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a 3600w element that they have used in a boiler? A link would be great? I want to stick to 3600w element so I can still use an stc1000 to controller temps and a pump to recirculate...
Wouldn't this exceed the 10A rating for the STC cooling and heating outputs? Perhaps you could hook up a relay to switch the 3600W element on/off with the relay controlled by the STC?

[/quote]
MaltyHops said:
Wouldn't this exceed the 10A rating for the STC cooling and heating outputs? Perhaps you could hook up a relay to switch the 3600W element on/off with the relay controlled by the STC?
The stc1000 that I will use is rated at 16amps. I do like your idea about the relay however. Makes me wonder if I should put a more powerful element in to avoid an over the side or a second element for the boil on a double batch. I will have a chat to my electrician

A 16 amp STC1000. Didn't know they made one. Haven't seen one yet. Is that what is on the unit or what the seller told you?

http://www.australianelementsupplies.com.au/products/detail/3.6-watt-inch-BSP-SCREW-IN-ELEMENT-1888

this is the mob i used

paid 33 (2400) and 37 for (3600) in May 2013 for a couple more

and they wanted about $30 for 2400 and $33 for 3600 when i ordered them maybe 12mths ago

they offered trade prices quickly and were brewer friendly :)
plus shipping that i think was $15 for 10kg

i have both the 2400 and 3600 and am happy with them
1" brass nut on the inside of HLT etc
wire in and put a plastic electrical box on the out side (earth it) and you done :)

i have found 3600 will heat and melt some power plugs so i have some of these to be wired in to my brewey

plug.png

Interesting to know they exist. I would still use a relay because you are pushing the limits of the inbuilt relays for long term reliability. Also remember, heating elements are positive temperature co efficient. What that basically means is that when they are cold, they will draw slightly more current. The 16 amp rating of the inbuilt relays is not an absolute rating. It just means if you go over that, the reliability and life span will be reduced. Without talking to the relay manufacturers, it is only experience that will tell how long they last.

Latest posts

Back