35 Mins Into Boil...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy

Ahh Glasshopper
Reaction score
Ran out of gas!!!

So I can boil the hops on the stove upstairs... but my gravity sucks (ok so its 1042...), any suggestions - cube it and boil at the weekend, and nurture the starter? or just cool and brew...?

you don't have the option of running to a service station and getting a refill or a new gas bottle...

Ran out of gas!!!

So I can boil the hops on the stove upstairs... but my gravity sucks (ok so its 1042...), any suggestions - cube it and boil at the weekend, and nurture the starter? or just cool and brew...?

Err it's 1:45 in the arvo get ya skates on and get the bottle refilled at your local service station. Anyways at 1.042 is just fine to get good hop utilisation as it is. You do need to boil for at least 60mins. Have any of your neighbours got a BBQ? Jump the fence and "Borrow it" to finish the boil.

Cheers

Chappo

Edit: err "Borrow" the gas bottle not the BBQ. Too hard to get the BBQ over the fence, yeah?

It's good and sterile and the enzymes have been nuked so why not cube and boil again later... Did you already have a hop addition in there? If so I'd look at maybe not bothering topping up the bittering during boil2 because the hop goodness will still be in there and I guess that when you fire it up again the Alpha Acids will resume their isomerisation.

It's good and sterile and the enzymes have been nuked so why not cube and boil again later... Did you already have a hop addition in there? If so I'd look at maybe not bothering topping up the bittering during boil2 because the hop goodness will still be in there and I guess that when you fire it up again the Alpha Acids will resume their isomerisation.

I'd be cube hopping the bejeebus out of this SOB and all cleaned up faster than you could go and get yourself a refilled gas bottle. 1.042.. no worres, still a decent enough OG anyway. just throw a good attenuator on it and you'll be laughin!

Err it's 1:45 in the arvo

...and I have no car, no money and the nearest is nearly 4 km away...

However...

Chappo again said:
err "Borrow" the gas bottle...

yeay!!!!

new_gas.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

Who'd 'ave thought the surth ofricuns next door would come through!! - they want a couple when it's brewed though, and there's a PET for each of the guys in before this post...!

V.happy.

Scruffy,

Go and buy yourself an over the side immersion heater (web link - http://www.tobins.com.au/HTML/ItemHTML/4108.htm). Here is a forum discussion on them as well - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=19409

I use to use my 3 ring burner all the time and on 2 occassions I ran out of gas half way through the boil. It didn't dawn on me at the time to continue the boil with the immersion element but I bolted down to the local camping store and had my gas bottle refilled.

But last weekend I again ran out of gas, decided to try the immersion element in the kettle and away I went with out skipping a beat.

From now on, I'll not only heat up my water in the HLT but also look after my kettle boil with the immersion element.

Cheers,

mossyrocks

Yarpee's next door? Dude your gunna have to move! Oh and lock up the cat (they call it bush meat stew yeah?). If I have offened any SA-ians I'm not sorry at all because you still can't play rugby that well even if you may have bribed a ref for the world cup.

Could be worse they could have been Kiwi's ROFL! :ph34r: (Same as above except I'll add in "World cup chokers"... tehehehehe!)

Anyone else need offending?

That's right Scruffy your a pom, so I'll say goodbye and hope you have a bath this year...sometime?

Actually that was some advice given to me by 4star I think and few weeks ago? So I can't claim complete credit. Anyway I always love to see a happy ending. BTW WTF are you brewing?

Cheers

Chappo

OK, once I finished my annual bath, I added:
6kg Halcyon
400g Caraaroma
400g Carared
An amount of Warrior, Styrian, Amarillo and NZ Goldings (guess the order... and when the gas ran out) and 1968 (later)

A bleedin' bitter bitter...

Tastes err ...bitter (and malty and sweet and ...warm). Should be OK...

OK, once I finished my annual bath, I added:
6kg Halcyon
400g Caraaroma
400g Carared
An amount of Warrior, Styrian, Amarillo and NZ Goldings (guess the order... and when the gas ran out) and 1968 (later)

A bleedin' bitter bitter...

Tastes err ...bitter (and malty and sweet and ...warm). Should be OK...

I'm liking that Halcyon grain more and more. I hadn't used it till Sully and I decided to split a double of the good DrS's light session. It's gunna be a red hue brew by the look of it Scruffy with the Cara - aroma and red in there.

Your hairy unwashed asse for flavour 90mins :lol:
Warrior for bittering so 60mins
NZ Goldings 45mins
Amarillo 30mins
Gas farked it up 25mins
Styrians for flavour and aroma?

was I even close? :huh:

Chappo

Edit: Had to decribe Scruffies bottom better

bob on Chappo...

you win...

i haven't decided yet

Yup, it's kinda the house bitter - a bit maltier (though I admit there's a gnats of dextrose cause I wanted it a bit drier than the last one) - a tiny bit redder and a bit bitterer and hoppier than London Pride (ESB) - it's measuring 1060 @ 30C - you can work out how long I boiled for now, and the colour of my Bonds...!!

If I hadn't had the 'episode' I'd have found room for some First Gold... hey ho...

edited to remove subtle British innuendo and misleading propoganda

bob on Chappo...

you win...

snip... it's measuring 1060 @ 30C - you can work out how long I boiled for now, and the colour of my Bonds...!!

Your pulling me leg Squire... anyways I luv guessing games

1.060 @ 30C makes 1.063 adjusted hmmm... head banger huh?

I'm guessing 90 min boil to get that OG out of a 6.8kg grain bill and not knowing your batch size.

I'll have to swap you a couple of my stouts for a snort of this wonder at one of the BABBS meetings.

Cheers

Chappo

Just checking in... Beersmith told me my OG, because I typed it in, but... i forgot when I pitched the starter...

So now I know ...it was pitched 5 days ago, and it's still bubbling and sweating away like Hitler with a gas bill. It got quite a bit to chew through... + it sounds great!

Sorry Kev, Yup I now have 2 x 9KG, and no excuses...

As far as that brew went. well it's just in the secondary, but having tasted it, I'll just leave it 'till tomorrow - agar agar, Polyclar, bulk prime, whatever and get into bottles ready for the comp (yup, two brews now!!).

However like I said, I had a bit of a snifter out of the hydro tube. Then a LARGE glass, ...just having another pint straight out of the fermenter, it's very slightly on the sweet side but finishes dry with lovely styrian note. That 1968 is indeed Fullers, It's almost exactly London Pride or ESB, without the Target, Northdown or Challenger, Takes me back!

Latest posts

Back